Irrigation/Solar Sync Controller Issues

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Irrigation/Solar Sync Controller Issues

We moved into our new home (Sanibel) 15 months ago. Recently, we are having problems with our irrigation system. South of 466A they are installing Hunter Pro-C Controllers with Solar Sync Systems. Without getting detailed or technical about it---the system has a sensor that lets the controller know how much heat/moisture is in the ground to control the amount of time your irrigation systems works. In addition, they install "water saving" heads on the irrigation system. Sounds good, huh? Until you have problems.

I have searched the Irrigation Threads. Most of them are dated. Of course, found good reports and bad reports on various Irrigation Contractors. The good reports: Jim Baumgartner and Chip Parrish seem to be at the top of the list. Anybody used these gentlemen lately? How about Tri County Landscape Contractors----they installed the system? Jerry Martin Irrigation gave me a bid to quote "fix it the proper way"----over $3,000.00. I thought it was a joke---but I've got it in writing around here someplace----no it was in an email!

Anybody know of a good honest dependable Irrigation Person? It would be nice to find somebody with experience with these new "sophiscated" systems.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I can highly recommend Chip Perrish - he is very good and very fair. Jimmie
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We moved into our new home (Sanibel) 15 months ago. Recently, we are having problems with our irrigation system. South of 466A they are installing Hunter Pro-C Controllers with Solar Sync Systems. Without getting detailed or technical about it---the system has a sensor that lets the controller know how much heat/moisture is in the ground to control the amount of time your irrigation systems works. In addition, they install "water saving" heads on the irrigation system. Sounds good, huh? Until you have problems.

I have searched the Irrigation Threads. Most of them are dated. Of course, found good reports and bad reports on various Irrigation Contractors. The good reports: Jim Baumgartner and Chip Parrish seem to be at the top of the list. Anybody used these gentlemen lately? How about Tri County Landscape Contractors----they installed the system? Jerry Martin Irrigation gave me a bid to quote "fix it the proper way"----over $3,000.00. I thought it was a joke---but I've got it in writing around here someplace----no it was in an email!

Anybody know of a good honest dependable Irrigation Person? It would be nice to find somebody with experience with these new "sophiscated" systems.
Tri County has been doing the installations for a long time. I am near LSL and they came out when my system(not the new solar system) was new and were great about making things right. Even added two additional heads to get better coverage. I would give them a call.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Our landscaper messed up our sprinkler system in Sanibel. Tri- County Landscaping Contractors will be here Thursday to install new sprinklers. So far, they are the most upstanding and reputable company we have encountered in T he Villages fo any service. Their price seems pretty good to me. We didn't get any other estimates because Austin from Tri-County has been to our house multiple times in the past six mos. because the system was very confusing to me. He always comes the same day we call, is a great kid and fixes the problem and is very patient. I recommend them highly.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Default Solar syncs.hmmmm

Truly thought I wanted one until I attended the latest clinic at Sterling last month.
Last months topic was " Irrigation Techniques,etc"...There must have been at least 3 folks with hands up experiencing problems with that solar sync. I did some research and decided I will not be installing one. I am currently in the process of replacing all my heads with the new MPR hunter sprinkler nozzles. They do appear to be worth the $$ IF you have a large yard. I understand all of the new 466A south homes have them and the sync system....The speaker at last months talk said he did not have enough experience with Solar Sync but will make every effort to have more knowledge for the next irrigation speech. If you have never attended these, you can usually learn something of value at each lecture. . I use RKI irrigation ( Donna ) which is a small independent who does great work with irrigation and VERY reasonable, however, I know she has no experience with the Solar Sync and she has only heard negative things about that system so far....Good luck...
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Sage

Hunter system works great if you (not Tri-County) take the time to program it.

Go to the Hunter website, I learned the gal from tri-county was really wrong about ALL the settings.

They R a good company but they don't take the time to program it right.

They also don't use the correct starting times of early in the morning 4-7 AM as suggested by the Fl State Univ plant clinic.

Oh an that thief Jerry Martin that quoted U $3,000 should be ashamed of ripping you off, that's more than new
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Default Wealth of Info - Irrigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post

Call Wayne McCormick, 352-307-5904, he is a wealth of information regarding the Hunter system/solar. Last week he fixed one of our heads and reprogramed our system. I recall he said that sometimes folks don't set the time and date in the 2 places it needs to be set and those who install the sensor outside on your roof don't set it to the right hemisphere. Wayne is licensed in FL to install irrigation, not all landscapers or companies are specifically licensed to do this. Wayne said it is a 3rd class felony in FL to install irrigation or adjust the sprinkler system (other than the homeowner) if they are not licensed by the state according to the fairly new Florida Friendly laws. He charged $200 to replace a sprinkler head with the $$ Hunter head and reprogram our system. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
Call Wayne McCormick, 352-307-5904, he is a wealth of information regarding the Hunter system/solar. Last week he fixed one of our heads and reprogramed our system. I recall he said that sometimes folks don't set the time and date in the 2 places it needs to be set and those who install the sensor outside on your roof don't set it to the right hemisphere. Wayne is licensed in FL to install irrigation, not all landscapers or companies are specifically licensed to do this. Wayne said it is a 3rd class felony in FL to install irrigation or adjust the sprinkler system (other than the homeowner) if they are not licensed by the state according to the fairly new Florida Friendly laws. He charged $200 to replace a sprinkler head with the $$ Hunter head and reprogram our system. Hope this helps.
That is a fabrication Wayne told U to rip you off for $200 to change a head.
A $5 head plus time.

There is absolutely no license requirement in FL.

see here

Maybe crimes against seniors should call him
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

I have new landscaping and needed to water every day for two weeks at 100% for the times set. Long story short, called Hunter tech support and found out I had to get behind the door to the solar sync and disconnect a blue wire which would now circumvent it enabling me to water as set. Also set the switch to bypass.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Gold member

NO need to spend $$$.
The unit has a brain and also shuts off below 37 degrees.
It shuts off when it rains/ has rained.
It adjusts seasonally to a lower percent of running time. This can be adjusted up or down manually.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Gold member

When I had a problem with my solar sync I called Jim Baumgartner. He understands the system and is extremely knowledgeable about irrigation systems. I had a problem with the solar sync when I was away for the summer. My former lawn care company tried to fix it and didn't know their heads from their a**es. I called Hunter tech support and had a pretty good idea what was wrong but there wasn't too much I could do from far away. I called Jim and he was at my house the same day. He got the system working temporarily and ordered the parts for the final fix. What a relief to find someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Default wayne is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
Wayne is wrong. Florida only requires a state licence to install brand new irrigation systems. Anyone with the right knowledge and a handyman, lawn guy, with occupational licence can service or repair an already installed system. Unfortunately wayne stated that to sucker people into only using him.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Also 1 head and program should have been no more than $90. You got ripped.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Sage

I'm learning here. thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
When I had a problem with my solar sync I called Jim Baumgartner. He understands the system and is extremely knowledgeable about irrigation systems. I had a problem with the solar sync when I was away for the summer. My former lawn care company tried to fix it and didn't know their heads from their a**es. I called Hunter tech support and had a pretty good idea what was wrong but there wasn't too much I could do from far away. I called Jim and he was at my house the same day. He got the system working temporarily and ordered the parts for the final fix. What a relief to find someone who knows what they're doing.
I've kinda sorta used Jim in the past & found him to be very helpful.Let me explain. When I was having a bird cage added in my former house I called Jim & he explained everything I needed to do to move the heads.He said I should be able to do it myself after I told him of my plumbing backround & there was no need for him to come over.Thanks Jim ...a very knowledgeable & honest man.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.