IRS/Bond Issue

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
I can think of lots of adjectives to describe the malcontents of the POA, but "brave" wouldn't be one of them.

I think I know the history of the POA and the lawsuit. I think 'brave' is apt.

I'd like to know why you think not.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 PM
TOTV Moderator

A reminder to get back on topic and avoid name calling and political comments.

Thank you....
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
On March 5, 2009, Lauren Ritchie unleashed a stunning, slanted article under the Orlando Sentinel headline banner, "IRS TO VILLAGES DEVELOPER--YOU BILKED RESIDENTS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. PART TWO:THE MYSTERY DEEPENS

Ritchie suggested that the developers and the district "likely" would face sanctions. She said that chances were "high" that the exposure would be for the total $271 million in bonds and not just the $64 million involved in one issue. To further her assault, she opined that each household could have a liability of $18,000.

That pretty much sets the tone for her agenda, but, the words that will always define her cavalier arrogance, sinister motives and credibility for me was her conclusion. It reads, "And it is time for homeowners to worry less about their tee time and marvelous activities and more about their future property values and financial liability."

Don't hold your breath for a mea culpa.

Hope that fills in some background.
Yup....Ritchie really cares about us "homeowners and our property values and financial liability", when she stereotypes and characterizes us all as a bunch of ignorant, lazy, idle, rich old white snobs who care about nothing but golf (never mind the fact that only 40% of people here actually play golf).....
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well I was going to make a very profound statement about the recent turn of events but I can't concentrate with KATE SMITH singing in the background...

........fumar
Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Well I was going to make a very profound statement about the recent turn of events but I can't concentrate with KATE SMITH singing in the background...

........fumar
I tried to give my thoughts, but the big guy knocked them off !!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Hey, Great Fumar did I see you play tennis in Ft. worth in 1978..

Sure your not Ken Rosewall????????? Am I the only one that sees the resemblance
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
"when she stereotypes and characterizes us all as a bunch of ignorant, lazy, idle, rich old white snobs who care about nothing but golf"
Do you have a link to that article?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
Do you have a link to that article?
Here are her columns going back to 2009.
Lauren Ritchie Orlando Sentinel columns - OrlandoSentinel.com Here are her posts on TOTV. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...archid=5737450
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Thanks for that, one more thing do you have a link to the article where she states the following? "ignorant, lazy, idle, rich old white snobs"
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Negative Nellies Not

Folks I am not interested in name calling nor pre-judging. Instead I would suggest that the folks being called negative are only delivering bad news not creating it . People were not appaulding Ritchie for her campaign against the Developer but only because they finally had a factual accounting and in fact the only accountig of this IRS action which force the Developer via Daily Sun and the VCCDD to begin reporting on it

As to the appraisal issue perhaps you folksshould read the filings ? If you did you would get an eye full We as residents do no know if the allegations are true or untrue but if true then the basis for valuing assets well overstated and the income stream from amenities also overstated. Lastly this process only used appraisal firms, etc that were used excusively by the Developer and upon which the Developer had exclusive control. The same firms he is still using in connection with developing T he Villages. If true it was a conflict of interest and we did not have the benefit of independent verification. It would be like Iran having their people verify that they have not built nukes and the USA agreeing to it
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Be aware that on this forum no one I have ever known has ever spent any time with any member of the Morse family especially and including me.

There are those like me that are impressed by the success of the builders family business plan and how it adds to our own happiness. I see the obvious things, the cleanliness, the beauty of the miles of pristinely kept landscaping, the beautifully outfitted and maintained rec centers and town squares. I lived next to Odell Rec center and witnessed it being painted every year, together with all of the structures on the grounds and watched the wall dividing our property from the rec center being power washed and the planting beds adjacent to it being weeded.

After paying a lot of money over a lot of years for golf, I could play the nine hole executive courses here for the trail fee, drive my own cart to all 34 of them and enjoy watching my husband play any of the 12 championship courses after watching him work for over 55 years.

I witnessed people from all walks of life and many levels of income enjoy the life previously enjoyed by only the very wealthy and privileged and all of us paid the same amenity fee of about $140 a month.

I saw them have available many country club restaurants with decent food and affordable selections and watched most of them increase their activity levels by moving about more with all kinds of physical and educational activities.

And I also heard that the developer owned a yacht, three airplanes, a ranch in Montana and had become a billionaire. Now that didn't surprise me as I know for a fact that if you work hard with a good idea in this country you can become rich indeed.

But being rich seems to **** a lot of people off and being on the OTHER side of the political aisle seems to annoy a lot of folks too.

Many prospective villagers and new villagers are NOT prepared for deed restrictions or any restrictions and do NOT like the CDD form of government.

There are those who have been realtors all of their lives and still work for local MLS agencies but are not allowed to sell the builders new homes. There are those who dislike the builders political party contributions and the obviously slanted Daily Sun that he established. There are those that have not been hired to work for the Morse empire or let go by them. There are those who are developing other communities nearby. There are those people who are just plain jealous of the success of this place and don't live here.

There are those who don't like The Morse Clan and never met them and folks who are fans and equally not familiar with them.

I am going to say that perhaps if I really KNEW Gary Morse, I wouldn't like him.

But since I don't know him and judge him only on his accomplishments, I think he and his dad were geniuses to take a lot of not very interesting land in the center of Florida, in a county with one of the lowest employment rates and turn it into the county with the highest employment rate in the state and the fastest growing area in Florida and the fourth in the country. Those unseen Morses created here a place that this 73 year old woman and the love of fifty plus years have found joy and so many opportunities for fun and a new and exciting life that was never before a choice for senior citizens anywhere on this earth.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-16-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Graciegirl, thank you for your comments. I very seldom comment on TOTV, but had to commend you for putting it exactly right as far as I am concerned. I do not know the Morse family either, and agree totally with you that they have created a wonderful way of life for us and by that they have made lots of money. That being said, so what?? We live very comfortably here, and I don't care how much money they make as it really doesn't us personally. So all those people who constantly rip the Morse family up and down, if you really don't like the way things are and are so unhappy, MOVE - this is the United States and no one is forced to move, or stay here. Once again, thank you Graciegirl for you great point of view, as always.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ditto to Gracie's post!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

Folks I am not interested in name calling nor pre-judging. Instead I would suggest that the folks being called negative are only delivering bad news not creating it . People were not appaulding Ritchie for her campaign against the Developer but only because they finally had a factual accounting and in fact the only accountig of this IRS action which force the Developer via Daily Sun and the VCCDD to begin reporting on it

As to the appraisal issue perhaps you folksshould read the filings ? If you did you would get an eye full We as residents do no know if the allegations are true or untrue but if true then the basis for valuing assets well overstated and the income stream from amenities also overstated. Lastly this process only used appraisal firms, etc that were used excusively by the Developer and upon which the Developer had exclusive control. The same firms he is still using in connection with developing T he Villages. If true it was a conflict of interest and we did not have the benefit of independent verification. It would be like Iran having their people verify that they have not built nukes and the USA agreeing to it
Well said. Let's remember that this whole thread was prompted by a headline in the Developer-owned Daily Sun that was, charitably put, not exactly accurate.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Be aware that on this forum no one I have ever known has ever spent any time with any member of the Morse family especially and including me.

There are those like me that are impressed by the success of the builders family business plan and how it adds to our own happiness. I see the obvious things, the cleanliness, the beauty of the miles of pristinely kept landscaping, the beautifully outfitted and maintained rec centers and town squares. I lived next to Odell Rec center and witnessed it being painted every year, together with all of the structures on the grounds and watched the wall dividing our property from the rec center being power washed and the planting beds adjacent to it being weeded.

After paying a lot of money over a lot of years for golf, I could play the nine hole executive courses here for the trail fee, drive my own cart to all 34 of them and enjoy watching my husband play any of the 12 championship courses after watching him work for over 55 years.

I witnessed people from all walks of life and many levels of income enjoy the life previously enjoyed by only the very wealthy and privileged and all of us paid the same amenity fee of about $140 a month.

I saw them have available many country club restaurants with decent food and affordable selections and watched most of them increase their activity levels by moving about more with all kinds of physical and educational activities.

And I also heard that the developer owned a yacht, three airplanes, a ranch in Montana and had become a billionaire. Now that didn't surprise me as I know for a fact that if you work hard with a good idea in this country you can become rich indeed.

But being rich seems to **** a lot of people off and being on the OTHER side of the political aisle seems to annoy a lot of folks too.

Many prospectiver villaagers and new villagers are NOT prepared for deed restrictions or any restrictions and do NOT like the CDD form of government.

There are those who have been realtors all of their lives and still work for local MLS agencies but are not allowed to sell the builders new homes. There are those who dislike the builders political party contributions and the obviously slanted Daily Sun that he established. There are those that have not been hired to work for the Morse empire or let go by them. There are those who are developing other communities nearby. There are those people who are just plain jealous of the success of this place and don't live here.

There are those who don't like The Morse Clan and never met them and folks who are fans and equally not familiar with them.

I am going to say that perhaps if I really KNEW Gary Morse, I wouldn't like him.

But since I don't know him and judge him only on his accomplishments, I think he and his dad were geniuses to take a lot of not very interesting land in the center of Florida, in a county with one of the lowest employment rates and turn it into the county with the highest employment rate in the state and the fastest growing area in Florida and the fourth in the country. Those unseen Morses created here a place that this 73 year old woman and the love of fifty plus years have found joy and so many opportunities for fun and a new and exciting life that was never before a choice for senior citizens anywhere on this earth.
I love you Gracie, but don't tell Sweetie.

Xavier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.