Is or isn't it?

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's true, but if you go back to the OP's first post, he went out the back way, which is a road they built I guess for delivery trucks into Walmart. It comes out by the light near the Shell station which is where the OP was crossing. Apparently they overlooked putting a sign at that exit.
I don't believe any of those "no golf carts beyond this point" can be legally enforced as long as the crossing meets the FL regulations for GC crossings" (see my posting of the FL regs a few messages back). Traffic control signs (at least where I used to live) must always be approved by whatever "authority" (police dept traffic control?) approves them. If you get a ticket for not stopping at a "not approved" stop sign it gets thrown out of court.

I don't want to repost the entire thing as it is posted in post #15 in this thread but this seems to make it legal to cross at any "controlled" (has a light) intersection with a golf cart that is NOT street legal. While it may be dumb to cross 466A at a light it may not be "illegal" as long as at both sides of the road you just crossed there is a "cart legal" road. Not one determined by The Villages but one determined by the State of FL. to be cart legal.

316.2126 Authorized use of golf carts, low-speed vehicles, and utility vehicles.—
(d) Golf carts and utility vehicles may cross a portion of the State Highway System which has a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less only at an intersection with an official traffic control device.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Might be a state law, but the county law says otherwise.
That's why people are being ticketed for crossing at McDonalds on 441 and Bella Cruz Dr.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Might be a state law, but the county law says otherwise.
That's why people are being ticketed for crossing at McDonalds on 441 and Bella Cruz Dr.

I would appeal any ticket. Can you kindly post a link to that county "law?" Probably not. The info I provided came directly from the Sumter County Sherrif's office. From this fellow: https://**************.com/lt-siemer...ict-commander/ in an email to our group.

The "blanked out portion" of the above link was the "other" news site.

Here is his actual statement in an email provided to our group (along with providing the regs as they apply to GC's and SL GC's).
I woulld appeal based on his info had I received a ticket.

I quote from his email:

"It was determined that there was confusion within all Law Enforcement agencies in The Villages over LSV 45 mph crossings but it stemmed from an amendment put out several years ago. Bottom-line is LSVs can cross a major roadway at a controlled crossing point, such as an intersection."

This is NOT from his email but later qualified:

So the answer is yes, street-legal carts can cross a highway, regardless of the posted speed limit on that highway, so long as there is a street-legal road available to you after you have crossed the highway. Carts that are not street-legal cannot cross highways unless there is an "official traffic control device" at that crossing, and even then, the maximum speed for the crossing highway cannot exceed 45 MPH.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 05-16-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I would appeal any ticket. Can you kindly post a link to that county "law?" Probably not. The info I provided came directly from the Sumter County Sherrif's office. From this fellow: https://**************.com/lt-siemer...ict-commander/ in an email to our group.

The "blanked out portion" of the above link was the "other" news site.

Here is his actual statement in an email provided to our group (along with providing the regs as they apply to GC's and SL GC's).
I woulld appeal based on his info had I received a ticket.

I quote from his email:

"It was determined that there was confusion within all Law Enforcement agencies in The Villages over LSV 45 mph crossings but it stemmed from an amendment put out several years ago. Bottom-line is LSVs can cross a major roadway at a controlled crossing point, such as an intersection."

This is NOT from his email but later qualified:

So the answer is yes, street-legal carts can cross a highway, regardless of the posted speed limit on that highway, so long as there is a street-legal road available to you after you have crossed the highway. Carts that are not street-legal cannot cross highways unless there is an "official traffic control device" at that crossing, and even then, the maximum speed for the crossing highway cannot exceed 45 MPH.
I don't have a link, but was at the county commissioners meeting several years ago, when Stonecrest residents wanted to be able to cross 441 at Bella Cruz, when the Paradise wall/gate was installed. Commissioners and the sheriff in attendance said no, not legal.
If you want to ask the Lady Lake sheriff or try it till you get a ticket, and fight it in court, give it a shot...let us know how it works out.
I will pass along your link to some Stonecrest and Spruce Creek friends. They would love to get to the squares without a street legal cart.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
I don't have a link, but was at the county commissioners meeting several years ago, when Stonecrest residents wanted to be able to cross 441 at Bella Cruz, when the Paradise wall/gate was installed. Commissioners and the sheriff in attendance said no, not legal.
If you want to ask the Lady Lake sheriff or try it till you get a ticket, and fight it in court, give it a shot...let us know how it works out.
I will pass along your link to some Stonecrest and Spruce Creek friends. They would love to get to the squares without a street legal cart.

That could be the laws that the Lieutenant was referring to when he said (his quote): ""It was determined that there was confusion within all Law Enforcement agencies in The Villages over LSV 45 mph crossings but it stemmed from an amendment put out several years ago. Bottom-line is LSVs can cross a major roadway at a controlled crossing point, such as an intersection."

I never saw a "Lady Lake" law or even sure if they can make those laws pertaining to crossing a state or county road or highway. They could easily issue a ticket which could possibly be based on incorrect interpretation of the state or county law and if one wishes to present the court with the specific law that applies it is my guess the case would be dismissed.

In any case if I ever do get a ticket that I feel is legally wrong I will fight it. It's not like I don't have the free time! I once got a ticket in Union NJ and I actually took it to trial myself and lost because the school bus driver who "caused" me to get the ticket was the father of the town's mayor! I was going to appeal it but we had a business in town and didn't want to get the PD too mad at me.

Edit: Oh, I also had VIDEO TAPES of the bus driver violating the law (not turning his red lights on when he stopped) multiple times but the judge tossed it because it didn't show that specific day just the 3 days in a row after. It was fun yelling "I OBJECT" though.
Closed Thread

Tags
466a, side, north, checked, bound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.