It's A Jungle Out There, Be Careful

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Eternal Member
Default It's A Jungle Out There, Be Careful

It was 1:30 pm on Saturday afternoon on December 8, 2012 and I was driving the golf and just turned off Lake Sumter Landing Rd onto the cart path heading north to go over the Lake Sumter bridge. I take a look in the rear view mirror and what do I see following me but a lady driving a SUV. I first look to make sure I am on the cart path and not on the highway and sure enough I'm on the cart path. I slow down and stop the cart path and the SUV also stops. As I get out of the cart and head back to inform the lady that she is on a cart path she comes to realize her mistake. By this time a number of carts are coming south and are waving at her that she is on a cart path.

I never say her on a cell phone or any distraction of that nature. She just was not paying attention to where she was going. Her only comment to me was "OMG I can't believe I did that".

Next time I am up that way I will take a good look to see how much room there is between the center post and right side of the path.

Like it is said by Guns 'N Roses "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun and games"
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Sounds like the Looneys are loose
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
It was 1:30 pm on Saturday afternoon on December 8, 2012 and I was driving the golf and just turned off Lake Sumter Landing Rd onto the cart path heading north to go over the Lake Sumter bridge. I take a look in the rear view mirror and what do I see following me but a lady driving a SUV. I first look to make sure I am on the cart path and not on the highway and sure enough I'm on the cart path. I slow down and stop the cart path and the SUV also stops. As I get out of the cart and head back to inform the lady that she is on a cart path she comes to realize her mistake. By this time a number of carts are coming south and are waving at her that she is on a cart path.

I never say her on a cell phone or any distraction of that nature. She just was not paying attention to where she was going. Her only comment to me was "OMG I can't believe I did that".

Next time I am up that way I will take a good look to see how much room there is between the center post and right side of the path.

Like it is said by Guns 'N Roses "Welcome to the jungle we've got fun and games"
Sorry to report this but it is a common occurrence I have witnessed it twice in the last two weeks
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Sage

Yesterday morning at the same spot, we observed a car approaching the roundabout put on their left turn signal and move into the cart lane as if they were going to take the cart path. Fortunately, they realized their error and moved back into the auto lane and entered the roundabout.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

I don't think there is all that much room between the centerpost and the right side of the path, it's been a couple of days since I've been on that section but it's a wonder she didn't hit the post
Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Sage

I agree that the space (width) of the cart path over the Lake Sumter bridge does not look wide enough for an SUV to drive in. I would also wonder how she got onto the cart path as the white post is in the middle of the entrance to the cart path.

Did this really happen?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I agree that the space (width) of the cart path over the Lake Sumter bridge does not look wide enough for an SUV to drive in. I would also wonder how she got onto the cart path as the white post is in the middle of the entrance to the cart path.

Did this really happen?
So, we're assuming the post is still there? Maybe not!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

Did this really happen?
i wanna know how she got OFF the cart path!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Yep. Last night we were leaving LSL going east. An older man backs up his rented golf car in front of cars, (the stripped down version) and proceeds to go 5-10 mph down the road. We figured he was checking out the stores/ sites but couldn't tell since we're the 3rd car behind him. He gets to the light and goes straight still barely moving. We think he is going to turn left on the cart path but figured he is lost. Nope, he goes straight and turns right in front of a car on the roundabout. Some one pulls next to him and assume they finally told him since he stopped for a second. Hopefully he was ok and got back on the path.
Since its that time of year, be careful as many are learning the ways.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Sage

It's A Jungle Out There so I will pack a couple of bananas in my lunch.

Seriously, this is the second time I have seen threads like this. Everyone, please be aware and be careful.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

Did this really happen?
Yes it did really happen. What do you need pictures? Get real.

I did not go back to look and see if she hit the post. Also I did not take the names of every cart that passed heading in the south bound lane that also witnessed the event to satisfy you.

I was more concerned in getting this lady off the cart path and back onto the road so she did not endanger anyone.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
i wanna know how she got OFF the cart path!
She backed her cart back to Lake Sumter Landing Rd. Others heading south helped guide her and seeing that I got back into may cart and drove onto my destination.

VG
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
So, we're assuming the post is still there? Maybe not!!!
At 7:45 PM on Saturday December 8, 2012 the post is still there and there is plenty of room to drive any car, SUV or pickup truck onto cart path with ease. There are no shrubs or plantings for a good distance past the entrance. It is also a somewhat smoother transition from the road to the cart path as compared to others in TV so it would be hard to notice in a car or SUV.

VG
Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Veteran member
Default golf cart

For many years I have only driven a golf cart here in the Villages.Now that I have a car also I found myself on two different occasions heading toward a golf cart path in my car.I guess all those years heading toward the trails had me conditioned to do that in my car too.Luckily I realized my mistake and I warn myself now before driving "you're in the car" to prevent a mishap.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

I suppose I could see this happening if one is on auto pilot, thinking about other things, and, well, forgets which vehicle one is in at the moment?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.