It's Not All Fenney

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We all have more important things to worry about for the relatively short period of time we have left on this earth without worrying about a plastic pipe 20 feet under ground. Not all, but most of these ponds have only one pipe in and one pipe out and you can easily see where they are located. I'm safe from the worry.
You are right again. Sinkholes are caused by the geological composition of this area. Google sinkholes in Florida. the worst area is over by Tampa. The Morses don't build over there.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

There is a difference between a sink hole and a collapsed pipe.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Are they running out of words to put together? "Marsh Bend??"
Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Maybe if the district government would keep the maps posted on the website up to date, there would be less confusion. Most are over 2 years old now. You have to wonder if the district government actually knows what areas they are responsible for.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Maybe if the district government would keep the maps posted on the website up to date, there would be less confusion. Most are over 2 years old now. You have to wonder if the district government actually knows what areas they are responsible for.
I don't wonder. Have you signed up for updates?
Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are right again. Sinkholes are caused by the geological composition of this area. Google sinkholes in Florida. the worst area is over by Tampa. The Morses don't build over there.
Stop ruining it for those who want to complain or find imaginary problems.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-21-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: map disappeared changed the link
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Congratulations on hopefully building your dream home...One thing though Marsh Bend is not 3 1/2 miles from the Fenney grill...Id say it's a mile and a half ...if that...anyway good luck on selling your home
By golf cart down Fenney Way it's two miles to McClure from the Fenney Grill and Marsh Bend is well beyond that so I'm sure they're right about the three and a half miles. By car it's a different story, shorter route by going down Warm Springs.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Actually only the newest areas are closest to Sink Hole Alley, but as we all know they show up all the way to Ocala.

The Villages Florida
https://www.byduncan.com/wp-content/...inkholemap.jpg
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thanks Gracie. Our home is right on top of that little tiny gray spot in Sumter County. Seems the worst area is actually north and west of the new construction but it can all change tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

There are actually two different (but similar-seeming) things going on. It helps to understand the difference. A ground collapse can be caused by a few different things. A sink hole is one TYPE of ground collapse. It's typically caused by nature, as in "stuff happens." Another type is caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds. So yes, the Villages is in Sink Hole alley. However, the problem is exacerbated by overdevelopment and retention ponds. If this overdevelopment and building of retention ponds didn't happen, the ground collapses would likely have been minimal.

Ground collapses caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds, occur more frequently to overdeveloped areas that have retention ponds, than ground collapses caused by the natural degradation of limestone not attributed to overdevelopment and retention ponds. In this, the "denialists" are correct in their continual claims that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be affected by a sinkhole.

However, if you live in an area known for sinkholes, that has also been overdeveloped and has artificial retention ponds, you are more likely to be affected by a ground collapse (which includes potholes, by the way) than you are to be struck by lightning.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There are actually two different (but similar-seeming) things going on. It helps to understand the difference. A ground collapse can be caused by a few different things. A sink hole is one TYPE of ground collapse. It's typically caused by nature, as in "stuff happens." Another type is caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds. So yes, the Villages is in Sink Hole alley. However, the problem is exacerbated by overdevelopment and retention ponds. If this overdevelopment and building of retention ponds didn't happen, the ground collapses would likely have been minimal.

Ground collapses caused by overdevelopment and retention ponds, occur more frequently to overdeveloped areas that have retention ponds, than ground collapses caused by the natural degradation of limestone not attributed to overdevelopment and retention ponds. In this, the "denialists" are correct in their continual claims that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be affected by a sinkhole.

However, if you live in an area known for sinkholes, that has also been overdeveloped and has artificial retention ponds, you are more likely to be affected by a ground collapse (which includes potholes, by the way) than you are to be struck by lightning.
I don't think either one happens any more often around the Villages then they do in Mount Dora or Leesburg or Alahopka or Plant City, even though we live smack dab in the middle of the highest Lighting area in The country. I am pretty sure that lightning isn't caused by overdevelopment or the Morse family.

P.S. I made up Alahopka.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
I think that the majority of homeowners living in The Villages categorize all homes South of 44 as Fenney. Fenney was the first village where construction began. Right now Desoto, McClure and Marsh Bend are being built with their own amenities. My husband and I reserved a newly released lot in Marsh Bend to build "the home of our dreams". Hopefully our current home in The Villages will sell within the time frame necessary to secure the lot and build our newest home. The location of our lot is three and a half miles to Fenney Grill and three miles from 44. The area once known as "Fenney" has expanded far beyond one village.
Happy for you.. me I love Spanish springs area
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Hope you enjoy your new place.
Closed Thread

Tags
fenney, home, lot, bend, village

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.