It's Not All Fenney

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Default It's Not All Fenney

I think that the majority of homeowners living in The Villages categorize all homes South of 44 as Fenney. Fenney was the first village where construction began. Right now Desoto, McClure and Marsh Bend are being built with their own amenities. My husband and I reserved a newly released lot in Marsh Bend to build "the home of our dreams". Hopefully our current home in The Villages will sell within the time frame necessary to secure the lot and build our newest home. The location of our lot is three and a half miles to Fenney Grill and three miles from 44. The area once known as "Fenney" has expanded far beyond one village.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

You'll be close to the new Rec Center and to the Pitch & Putt. For now people will call this area Fenney as they did with Lake Sumter and again with Brownwood even though there are a bunch of individual villages down here. Congratulations on your new build, you are going to be in a very popular area.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Yes, they all incorrectly call it Fenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
I think that the majority of homeowners living in The Villages categorize all homes South of 44 as Fenney. Fenney was the first village where construction began. Right now Desoto, McClure and Marsh Bend are being built with their own amenities. My husband and I reserved a newly released lot in Marsh Bend to build "the home of our dreams". Hopefully our current home in The Villages will sell within the time frame necessary to secure the lot and build our newest home. The location of our lot is three and a half miles to Fenney Grill and three miles from 44. The area once known as "Fenney" has expanded far beyond one village.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

The lots are generally smaller south of 44 and set-backs less making driveways not long enough to park two cars bumper to bumper. Perhaps some of the newer Villages may be different but up to now that is what I observe. Bonds and taxes are generally higher too. That is the new normal as The Villages continues to expand, however, that has been the trend in years past.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The lots are generally smaller south of 44 and set-backs less making driveways not long enough to park two cars bumper to bumper. Perhaps some of the newer Villages may be different but up to now that is what I observe. Bonds and taxes are generally higher too. That is the new normal as The Villages continues to expand, however, that has been the trend in years past.
That's not true. My driveway is one of the smaller ones and it's 40 ft long, it would be even longer if I didn't have a stretched garage. Taxes are based on the valuation of the home, Fenney rates are no different than any other home in Sumter county and/or within Wildwood. Lake county Pine Hills and Pine Ridge have higher taxes than we have down here as do some of the other villages. Bonds I don't know how to compare but I have no problem with ours. Another nice thing about the lots down here are there are a multitude of retention ponds allowing for more lots on water, also where else can you go to get the selection of Veranda Homes that we have down here.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
Congratulations on hopefully building your dream home...One thing though Marsh Bend is not 3 1/2 miles from the Fenney grill...Id say it's a mile and a half ...if that...anyway good luck on selling your home
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

How about calling it the LOWER 44 ??
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Another nice thing about the lots down here are there are a multitude of retention ponds allowing for more lots on water, .
Are you aware of the problematic 'retention' ponds in the North end of the villages.. ie google this headline: Sinkhole-damaged pond in Village of Alhambra draining again after recent $100,000 repairs
Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

"Where?"

"Desoto!"

" Oh Yeah. Thats down Fenney, you can't miss it!"
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM

The proper term for the general area is "Southern Oaks". Before I moved here, I kept hearing references to "the village of Southern Oaks", but could never find a village by that name. I later found it's actually "the villageS of Southern Oaks" and Fenney is but one of them. Before the recent re-opening of CR501 and the new roundabout and stop light intersection on 468, there were no obvious references to McClure or DeSoto unless you entered Fenney first. From there you could cross out of Fenney and into a gate marked DeSoto. But, from there, it was basically just an imaginary line when you cross from DeSoto into McClure. But, now there are 2 new gate entrances, 1 on the other end of Fenney Way and 1 off of CR501, that say "Village of McClure'. For many, though, it will continue to be referred to, generally, as "the Fenney area" for a long time.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Are you aware of the problematic 'retention' ponds in the North end of the villages.. ie google this headline: Sinkhole-damaged pond in Village of Alhambra draining again after recent $100,000 repairs
We'll, it's been over two years since the excavation and building of retention ponds started down here, we had no problems with any of them flooding during Irma and have had no hint of a sink hole since this all started. Maybe they'll eventually show up down here but there have been none documented unlike some areas north of 44. We live on water and I would not hesitate for one minute in building on water again.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
We'll, it's been over two years since the excavation and building of retention ponds started down here, we had no problems with any of them flooding during Irma and have had no hint of a sink hole since this all started. Maybe they'll eventually show up down here but there have been none documented unlike some areas north of 44. We live on water and I would not hesitate for one minute in building on water again.
.....and they are using plastic storm water pipe around all the new builds, not the holed, leaking, and rusty tin stuff they used 'up north' that seems to be linked with many of the so called sinkholes.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
But, IMO usually takes around 15 years for the old metal street drains to leak enough to cause ground to collapse. Hopefully the are using non rust pipes for the last 10 years? I know some the ones up north are corrigated steel cause I can see them in the drained pond rotted out.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
IMO I would just make sure street drains to retention pond don’t run under your property. IMO it should be disclosed what runs under your lot especially 15 or 20 foot down below pond water levels
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO I would just make sure street drains to retention pond don’t run under your property. IMO it should be disclosed what runs under your lot especially 15 or 20 foot down below pond water levels

We all have more important things to worry about for the relatively short period of time we have left on this earth without worrying about a plastic pipe 20 feet under ground. Not all, but most of these ponds have only one pipe in and one pipe out and you can easily see where they are located. I'm safe from the worry.
Closed Thread

Tags
fenney, home, lot, bend, village

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.