Jobs That dreaded 4 letter word

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Default Jobs That dreaded 4 letter word

As i am making plans to move to the villages, I know I am going to need to have a job for 10 to 16 years before I can draw Social Security. I have found the web site on The Villages where Carreers in the villages are posted. I also look at the Village Daily Sun. Are there other sites available for job listings? The Hospital, Movie theatre, Bowling Ally, Golf Courses, Golf Cart shops and All the stores around the Villages, where do they list their job openings?

I'm just trying to plan a way to arrive at the villages and get out of my present job early.

Any suggestions or hints?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&M-FATH View Post
As i am making plans to move to the villages, I know I am going to need to have a job for 10 to 16 years before I can draw Social Security. I have found the web site on The Villages where Carreers in the villages are posted. I also look at the Village Daily Sun. Are there other sites available for job listings? The Hospital, Movie theatre, Bowling Ally, Golf Courses, Golf Cart shops and All the stores around the Villages, where do they list their job openings?

I'm just trying to plan a way to arrive at the villages and get out of my present job early.

R&M-FATH -- Welcome to TOTV. I just had to chuckle at "JOBS" -- the dreaded four letter word. I know what you mean - today was the last day of my company's fiscal year, and that is a time I do not look forward to. I'm a younger TV wannabee, and I will also have to work for some years after I move to TV as I can't collect my full Social Security until I turn 67 I will be renting in TV in July for 8 days Yea Rah! And hopefully I can return to TV in October and rent again. I have been with my employer for a long time and get a lot of vacation time, so I just have to find landlords inTV who will rent for a week or two which doesn't seem too hard outside of the January through March time period. Best of luck to you, and I hope things work out for you job wise.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Big wage discrepancy

I did some research a couple of years ago and a little look see every few months since but it looked like the pay in the area even if you find a job is much lower than you may have been use to. The cost of living is probably lower than alot of metro areas like Boston, New York, Seattle etc as well. I decided I couldn't count on finding something that would pay enough unless I was creative and had my own business. (which wouldn't solve the insurance issue which in my case was a main point) Hopefully someone here will have a more helpful and positive answer.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The job market in the area of the Villages is not good. The country in general has job problems with 10% or higher unemployment, and that area of Florida is even worse. Wages are also very low. I posted an ad to hire someone for one day a week to do general handy man work, mow lawns, trim, prune, paint, and small repair work taking care of 3 homes.

I got 150 responses for people wanting one day a week work. I wanted someone semi retired living in the Villages who wanted some part time work. Most responses were from people living somewhere near the Villages and desperately seeking some work. Many were willing to work for very low pay. Minimum wage seemed to be the going rate and I advertised it above that.

Based on this limited sample, if I needed to work to move there, I would make sure I found a job at a salary I was willing to accept before moving.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The job market in the area of the Villages is not good. The country in general has job problems with 10% or higher unemployment, and that area of Florida is even worse. Wages are also very low. I posted an ad to hire someone for one day a week to do general handy man work, mow lawns, trim, prune, paint, and small repair work taking care of 3 homes.

I got 150 responses for people wanting one day a week work. I wanted someone semi retired living in the Villages who wanted some part time work. Most responses were from people living somewhere near the Villages and desperately seeking some work. Many were willing to work for very low pay. Minimum wage seemed to be the going rate and I advertised it above that.

Based on this limited sample, if I needed to work to move there, I would make sure I found a job at a salary I was willing to accept before moving.
I believe that this is very sage advice. Please listen.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM

I live in the Marion County portion of TV and the unemployment rate here is 14%. I work full time at the same occupation I had in Texas for less than 1/2 of the pay. Supply beats demand and for every job there are at least 150 applicants.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Sage

Here's a link to the hospital's job listings: https://www.leesburgregional.net/employment/index.php
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Down here in this part of Florida, a salary of $12 per hour is considered good money. If you do any job searching online, be very careful of scams. There are the "mystery shopper scams" involving fake checks; there are the "check processor scams" also involving fake checks; and others. They sound like excellent pay but you end up losing lots of money.

Problem with jobs around The VIllages is that there are so many volunteers to help out such as around the hospitals, food banks, etc.

I just have to say it is not easy finding a good paying job. If money is a problem, I would suggest working where you are until you can retire without working - and then move to The Villages or another great community.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

I was unemployed for a while and found many good leads on www.craigslist.com. It will not only have opportunities in The Villages, but also the surrounding areas lke Leesburg and Ocala, or as far as you may be willing to drive. www.employflorida.com and www.floridajobs.org may also help.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:

No idea what type of employment you might be seeking, but if you are able to telecommute (ie.work via phone and computer), you would most likely earn a much higher wage than the local Florida wage structure.

Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:

There is another four letterword that people dred. It's called WORK.

Seriously, I think you might to consider finding a job that has benefits as you are 10 to 16 years away from Social Security.

I would have moved fours years ago, if I could find a job with benefits. A friend of mine, who is a health fanatic had a serious heart operation who's symptoms appeared out of nowhere and it gave me pause to be without insurance even if it would be for a short period of time. I'm not a risk taker but each person is different.

Jobs don't pay much but if that's you only consideration, investigate with all that is needed to get to TV. I wish I knew of TOTV when it first started as it is a valuable source of information from very smart people.

Great advice from 12ridehd.

Best wishes in finding what you want and need.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

You are right on the money and here is the reason. So many seniors will work for minimum wage just to have something to do that keeps their mind working, so when someone who needs to support themselves comes along they are looking at minimum wage also.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Default Ability to work from home

I am really, really fortunate in that my job can travel with me (high speed internet connection, vpn and laptop = good to go). I am already working from home two days a week and a number of my coworkers are working from home full time (also known as home shoring).

The building I work in has been sold and is currently being leased back. I am waiting to see which way the wind blows before I make the leap to home shore also. Right now, there is no need.

Like a number of others, I am any where from 9 to 14 years out from actually retiring, but there is only one thing preventing me from moving now. My 85 year old mother who will not even consider the thought of relocating. My time is coming but it isn't here yet.

It is nice to think that even if I cannot retire just yet, I can move on down and bring my job with me. I am truly blessed with this job and know it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.