Judge retention vote

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2022, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Out of curiosity I looked at the Sumter Co judge retention election wherein we decide to keep or remove sitting judges. There were six judges on the ballot in the Florida 5th district court of appeal. I never saw any organized opposition to any specific one of these six judges. All were appointed by Republican governors.

All six were retained. Five had almost identical retention votes at 75% to keep with a total of about 56K yes votes.

But one judge did far worse. He only received 67% and 50K votes. More voters voted in his retention than in any of the other five. In other words people who didn't care went out of their way to vote no on him.

No votes were: 18,446 18,108 19,275 18,476 18,244 and then 25,038

Other than his name being Cohen can anyone explain this outcome. Shame on Sumter county voters, my neighbors if you voted no because of his name. Of course you aren't anti-Semitic. Res ipsa loquitur.

I find it literally impossible to do an informed vote on judges. God knows I tried. One almost needs to be a prosecutor or defense attorney to have any real feel for how good or bad a judge is. I did tons of online searches, but there was just not that much info out there.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Default Judge Cohen

Judge Cohen has been appointed by several governors including Crist. Not an indictment.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
What difference does it make who appointed him? If he did a good job, keep him. If he didn't, get rid of him. Just like with all the others.
Exactly.
Closed Thread

Tags
retention, votes, judges, judge, voted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.