Golf Cart Crossing on Buenos Aires Blvd.

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Default Golf Cart Crossing on Buenos Aires Blvd.

According to Sumter County Commissioners and Lt. Wolfe of the Sumter County Sherriff's Office, it IS LEGAL to cross and drive a golf cart on Buenos Aires Blvd. The County Commissioner's have directed The Villages to remove the "No Golf Carts Beyond....." signs-----See July 10 Sumter County Commissioner's Meeting Minutes. You can also call Sumter County Sherriff's Office, Lt Wolfe.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Founder
Default Re: Golf Cart Crossing on Buenos Aires Blvd.

Welllllllll?????????????? I had a Sumter County Sheriff's deputy stop me for corssing Buenos Aires Blvd. He was a real A** H*l* about it. Grinning through his teeth, telling me he was going to give me a ticket for $500. I told him that I was informed that it was not illegal. He put his fists on his hips like a Marine Corp Drill Instructor and said, "you didn't ask the authority, and I am the authority around here." He then turned on his blue emergency lights, blocked traffic, made me cross back across the street and made me look at the little sign that says, "no carts beyond this point." When he was finished grinding me down, I asked him if he was done. He said yes. I said, "When I was a Deputy Sheriff, never once did I ever have to talk to a law abiding citizen in the manner you just talked to me. He grinned through his partial plate again, rolled his window up and drove away.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Inexcusable behavior on Officers part. If you remember his name report him to Lt Wolfe. Origionally when The Villages controlled Buenous Aires the speed limit was 35mph and The Villages put up the no golf cart crossing signs. When the streets were turned over to Sumter Co., Buenous Aires became 30mph and legal for golf carts to cross and travel on, but The Villages never bothered to take the signs down. They should be taken down soon as The Villages no longer have jurisdiction.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

I think there's a movement afoot among those offices along Buenos Aires. One of my doctors is there and when I was last there there was a question posted "Do you want our offices to be golf cart accessible" or words to that effect. It makes sense to me (altho' it's further away than I feel comfortable going in my electric)
Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like the cop was out of line. Hope you didn't pay the fine Jan.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM

I live in the Village of Poinciana and believe me an electric golf cart should handle the trip about 3 times before needing a charge.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member

As far as I am concerned you might want to verify that "legal to cross Buenos Aires Blvd" with the police. A commissioner is not the legal authority. Several years back when the LSVs first came in they were looking at the laws and rules and decided that LSVs - properly registered - can drive on the streets in the Villages and can cross 27/441 and 466. The rules for golf carts is a road at 25 or below you can drive on. Above that you most use the tunnels to cross these roads. It is for our safety. Not to provide revenue for the local police.

You might be younger than the average citizen in the Villages but as you age your ability to understand distance vs speed changes and what you think is safe now is not safe as you age.

Obey the signs!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
As far as I am concerned you might want to verify that "legal to cross Buenos Aires Blvd" with the police. A commissioner is not the legal authority. Several years back when the LSVs first came in they were looking at the laws and rules and decided that LSVs - properly registered - can drive on the streets in the Villages and can cross 27/441 and 466. The rules for golf carts is a road at 25 or below you can drive on. Above that you most use the tunnels to cross these roads. It is for our safety. Not to provide revenue for the local police.

You might be younger than the average citizen in the Villages but as you age your ability to understand distance vs speed changes and what you think is safe now is not safe as you age.

Obey the signs!!

I believe Lt. Wolfe of the Sumter County Sheriff's Department is the police.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry. Noticed that on my second pass. Iwould need to see an article in the Daily Sun authorizing it before I would try crossing Buenos Vista. And for all, remember that Lt Wolfe is only Sumter county.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Eternal Member

I went to the July 10 Sumter County Commissioner's Meeting Minutes and found this:

3. Golf Cart Access request to commercial properties along the north and south side of Buenos Aires Boulevard in The Villages.

Commissioner Hoffman moved, with a second by Commissioner Gilpin, to approve Option 2 "Request the VCDD District 1 to remove the existing cart probation (sic) signage along the south side of Buenos Aires Boulevard." The motion carried unanimously. (071007-32)

It does not really state that the entire length of Buenos Aires Boulevard is open - only that near the commercial properties - where ever that may be.

Very confusing.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Eternal Member

Please excuse me for my ignorance. I had Buenos Aires mixed up with Buenos Vista. When I was eating breakfast this morning, the road name hit me like a flash.

I do agree. You should be able to get to those doctor offices across from Buenos Aires..

Again, my apology.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Golf carts can travel on streets with 30mph speed limit which is what Buenous Aires is------pay attention as you drive your golf cart around The Villages and notice the speed limits of the streets you're driving on. You're probably not going to see anything about it in the newspaper, or that you can turn right on red of no cars are coming, or that you must stop at stop signs. It's our responsibility to learn what the law is and act accordingly. Again, if you have questions about Buenos Aires contact Lt. Wolfe or one of his staff at the Sherriff's Office.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM

i admit i'm confused but i thought golf cart driving on or crossing of roads was only permitted within the villages not on any sumter county road regardless of posted speed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.