Jump in Coronavirus in Sumter co

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
There will be no published increase in numbers of COVID patients until there is more testing. If there is no testing, everyone thinks there is no problem with this pandemic. Moreover, not all people who have this disease are being reported. Case in point, a couple who are neighbors became sick as dogs after an early March plane trip. They had the EMT's at their house at least two times but were not transported to the hospital. The woman was finally tested. The man was not. I saw the man a bit later in his front yard watering his plants. In our across the street chat (he was wearing neither gloves nor mask), he told me he was feeling better (although he had lost 20 pounds) so the previous day he had walked to the postal station to pick up his mail. Presumably, he did so without face mask or gloves. He had never been tested. The next day I found out from another neighbor that the woman had tested positive for COVID. Here is how the stats would be reported. During their illness, neither of them would have counted as being positive for COVID. Neither would have been reported as sick. As they recuperate, the woman would have been reported as positive. He would not have been. I am sure their situation is not unique. The numbers we see are vastly underreported. Are you ready to go to your postal station without gloves and mask now?
This is what infuriates me about these people who claim it is "their right" to do whatever they want, and that the State should be opened up. B.S. We have idiots like your neighbors who just don't think about the consequences of their actions, which can affect the rest of us, no matter how careful we are..Besides the post office, they may have gone to the grocery store and contaminated surfaces. At the post office they could have come into close contact with people if they were walking around the corner to their mailbox, etc. I'm sorry for them that they were sick. Losing twenty pounds is just horrible. But we can't rely on the public to self regulate themselves. I don't think people are really very good at it. We are looking at all the people on the beach in close contact, since the beaches have been re-opened. Not a good thing.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:36 AM

As of yesterday, it was reported that there are 73 confirmed cases in The Villages.
It will continue to get worse until more people follow the rules and stop thinking that they are special and exempt and continue to bend them
Old 04-20-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
what do you think happened.....the number of people infected/dead can skyrocket overnight

counting heads isn't going to change anything

be safe, practice social distancing and wear a mask if you have to go out for an essential reason

do your job
I agree we all have to protect each other.
Perhaps if there was more testing and the positive cases increased some people would become more serious
Maybe even do their jobs
Old 04-20-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
This is what infuriates me about these people who claim it is "their right" to do whatever they want, and that the State should be opened up. B.S. We have idiots like your neighbors who just don't think about the consequences of their actions, which can affect the rest of us, no matter how careful we are..Besides the post office, they may have gone to the grocery store and contaminated surfaces. At the post office they could have come into close contact with people if they were walking around the corner to their mailbox, etc. I'm sorry for them that they were sick. Losing twenty pounds is just horrible. But we can't rely on the public to self regulate themselves. I don't think people are really very good at it. We are looking at all the people on the beach in close contact, since the beaches have been re-opened. Not a good thing.
My neighbors went on a “cheap cruise “ and didn’t believe in social distancing
Old 04-20-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater View Post
State data shows huge increase in positive Sumter co coronavirus. Where typically there were only a few a day yesterday 4/18 appears to be 20+. What the heck happened? Why is there no reporting on testing and follow up in paper or county health web site. Biggest thing going and no good information on local status. Even UF WEB site has no discussion on specific results or trends. State web site with data is Experience
Here is the information you are looking for. It updates daily.
Experience
Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 AM

Nice that some one actually responded with facts. Thank you for the Bushnell information. Too bad local news or our county health department doesn’t report significant coronavirus change and explain what happened to get the dramatic uptick in cases. Thanks again Robbie!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:22 AM

You're right. The absence of government reporting and real journalism in the area risks people's lives. Truth-laundering may sell houses but it's bad policy in the long run.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:00 AM
Unhappy Quote from the Article in the Daily Commercial

“Here’s breakdown of the testing numbers:

Sumter
Total tests: 1,525
Positive: 125
Percent positive: 10%”

This is an example of less than great reporting. The raw data here yields a positive rate of 8.2%, not the reported 10%. The reported rate is obviously wrong just from looking at the data…I didn’t have to pull out a calculator to determine that. This undermines public confidence in the information being reported, when it’s so obviously incorrect on the face of it.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 04-20-2020, 08:02 AM

I thought the 20 in Bushnell were from the prison?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

I wonder how accurate the numbers are in the first place.

Someone wakes up has symptoms speaks to his doctor who tell them you probably have the virus but stay home and call if symptoms worsen.

Does he get counted?
Old 04-20-2020, 08:08 AM

Thank you Robbie for replying with some facts. Nice to have a reply with facts!
Old 04-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesser160@aol.com View Post
As of yesterday, it was reported that there are 73 confirmed cases in The Villages.
It will continue to get worse until more people follow the rules and stop thinking that they are special and exempt and continue to bend them

Not disputing your number, but where do you find data for just The Villages? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:16 AM

They are all located in the Sumter State Prison. The State updated all of their prison numbers this weekend.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 AM

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT JUST PLAIN COMMON SENSE.

People who follow Trump or the Governor will certainly die, We watch all the news and made our decision, plus we have family in the medical profession. This stuff is REAL. Young people 30 and 40 years old with no underlying health problems are dying. Listen to the Dr Fauci, he has no political ax to grind he has been there thru several presidents Republican and Democrat
Old 04-20-2020, 08:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Not disputing your number, but where do you find data for just The Villages? Thanks.
On the Florida Department of Health website you can see the number of cases by zip code. The Villages is “mainly” 32162. I know there are other zip codes for The Villages... The 73 quoted above is likely a total of 32162, 32163, and 32159. But then there maybe some cases that are not actually in The Villages.

Last edited by Mleeja; 04-20-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
site, web, state, data, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.