just bought a new home who should i not trust to have work done?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Default just bought a new home who should i not trust to have work done?

We are fixing to do some upgrades on our home.Before we shop for prices from contractors i want to ask for feedback on who not to use.My projects include tile,electrical,fans,gutters,attic stairs and water softenr
Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 PM

Tough to mention the bad actors, they are large in numbers. My recommendations; fans - Dan's Fan City in Leesburg, Electrical - LenArt Electric, gutters - Hills, attic stairs, Tim the Toolman, water, depends on type you are after, I went with Glacier Water in Summerfield. Also, if you do a search on these headings you'll see many many TOTV'rs recommend these as well as others. You left out the cetegory that has the most bad actors, that is landscaping. Search any of these names and you'll get phone numbers or phone book too.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage

Hi Villager912,

to TV and TOTV.

Kb8tpw is right. Sadly, there are quite a few bad actors. You will be better served seeking recommendations of trusted contractors and getting bids just from them.

The very knowledgeable Bogey Shooter posted in another thread recently that the TV warranty office will provide a list of recommended contractors if you ask. Maybe these contractors do new work as well as repairs. If so, this would be a good place to start, as well as getting recommendations here on TOTV.

I wish you all the very best in your new home. What Village?

P
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
Tough to mention the bad actors, they are large in numbers. My recommendations; fans - Dan's Fan City in Leesburg, Electrical - LenArt Electric, gutters - Hills, attic stairs, Tim the Toolman, water, depends on type you are after, I went with Glacier Water in Summerfield. Also, if you do a search on these headings you'll see many many TOTV'rs recommend these as well as others. You left out the category that has the most bad actors, that is landscaping. Search any of these names and you'll get phone numbers or phone book too.
Good list there... and good advice.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Tough to mention the bad actors, they are large in numbers. My recommendations; fans - Dan's Fan City in Leesburg, Electrical - LenArt Electric, gutters - Hills, attic stairs, Tim the Toolman, water, depends on type you are after, I went with Glacier Water in Summerfield. Also, if you do a search on these headings you'll see many many TOTV'rs recommend these as well as others. You left out the cetegory that has the most bad actors, that is landscaping. Search any of these names and you'll get phone numbers or phone book too.
And especially since bad actors disappear, then reappear under a different name.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Avoid those that require ANY amount of money up front. The reputable ones will give you a quote, and expect to be paid on completion. Unfortunately there are more of the ones who want the money up front.

Have patience...and don't bite on the friendly persuasion.

btk
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM

We just moved here last November and used 2 very good, reliable and inexpensive companies. Had our whole house floors replaced with laminate and carpets and remoded a complete bath in two weeks time.
Floor Masters - hwy 301 in wildood = 352-748-7444
Kiley & Sons Plumbind - hwy 441 Fruitland park - 352-753-5301
Old 04-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

A vote for Kiley Plumbing.

A vote against Pat the Plumber.

'nuff said!

SWR
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
I also give big thumbs up to Tim and Dan's. They are fair, efficient and just great wot work with. I have not worked with the others mentioned by kb8 , so cannot comment.

We also give big plusses to Munz kitchens and Great Lakes tiles.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

One more vote for Tim "the Toolman" Miller and Dan's Fan City. Tim has done the attic stairs and sealed the garage floor on both of our houses.
Both are super to work with.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

ok

Last edited by Sunny08; 05-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Recently I just hired someone to do my floors, very popular company. They did a great job with the exception they stole my pain medication and left 2 in the bottle. I made a mistake of leaving my meds in the bathroom draw.They are on TV a lot and show a cartoon guy throwing a flloor down. Sadly one bad egg ruins it for the rest of them. I'm very pleased with the floor though, sadly I'm going to be hurting for a while.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager912 View Post
We are fixing to do some upgrades on our home.Before we shop for prices from contractors i want to ask for feedback on who not to use.My projects include tile,electrical,fans,gutters,attic stairs and water softenr

I think peeps should be careful about listing who not to use. I had an experience with a contractor who was giving me an estimate. He does a lot of advertising locally, so I called him. The appointment started off well, but when I asked for references, he started yelling at me. And then he threatened to sue me if I mentioned his name on TOTV. (After our appointment, I found out from others that he has a terrible reputation and supposedly he is dealing with some mental issues.) But he does a lot of advertising in The Villages.

So a list of people who've done a great job is probably the way to go.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Villager912,

to TV and TOTV.

Kb8tpw is right. Sadly, there are quite a few bad actors. You will be better served seeking recommendations of trusted contractors and getting bids just from them.

The very knowledgeable Bogey Shooter posted in another thread recently that the TV warranty office will provide a list of recommended contractors if you ask. Maybe these contractors do new work as well as repairs. If so, this would be a good place to start, as well as getting recommendations here on TOTV.

I wish you all the very best in your new home. What Village?

P
Good advice, PT. I have called the warranty office a number of times and they seem to know the good guys from the bad.

It has also been said here but I'll repeat, if they want money up front, beware. However, if it is a big job, addition etc., they should provide a written contract with payment terms spelled out and may require some up front money as they have to invest in material at the outset.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up

I played golf with a nice man a few weeks ago in TV and we were discussing lawn care guys and I indicated that I had to get rid of our full service lawn company who came with good recommendations on TOTV and also had a good recommendation from my property manager, needless to say they gave me poor service. He said he was having problems with his own service and had to replace them shortly and they happened to be my new lawn company who is doing a great job for me. Sometimes things just do not work out for all customers. Read customer reviews on anything you buy and you will find everyone has a bad day or problem. I think we should concentrate on giving praise to the good contractors. My good experiences have been with White Aluminum, Hills Gutters, Tim The Toolman, Munns, Grandma's and Grandpa's and The Solar Guys. We are currently working with T&D Screen Enclosures who so far is doing a fine job.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.