Does Anyone Have The "Real" Story On New Year's Eve On The Squares?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Does Anyone Have The "Real" Story On New Year's Eve On The Squares?

I guess we all know that the policy was changed this year to require the payment of a fee to rent tables and chairs on the squares. But there was never any explanation of why. Some have surmised it was designed to generate extra profit for the developer's Entertainment Department. I have a tough time accepting that they'd irritate so many people in exchange for a pittance of extra revenue in the grand scheme of things. Personally, I assumed the move was made to assert some control over what had become a grossly overcrowded and potentially out-of-control event. But I certainly could be wrong.

Then within the last few days the Entertainment Department was rumored to have announced that they were refunding all payments made for tables and chairs and returning to a normal daily 5 'til 9 entertainment schedule. But on prior New Year's Eves 5 until 9 wasn't normal. The entertainment has been scheduled until midnight on the squares for several years, I believe.

Now there is a story circulating that the reason for the cancellation was that non-Villages residents were predominant among those making the payments for reserved space, tables and chairs. So the Entertainment Department decided to opt out of arranging events that would benefit a large number of non-residents.

Does anyone know for sure what the reasons were for the initial "play for pay" change, and then the cancellation of the whole program and the rumored return to an unattractive 5 'til 9 schedule for a night like New Year's Eve?

By the way, as of tonight (Friday, December 7), The Villages website still shows a schedule of New Year's Eve entertainment lasting until 12:30 AM on both town squares!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Default Re: Does Anyone Have The "Real" Story On New Year's Eve On The Squares?

Well VK let me give you my take on the subject..

This incident may or may NOT have had an influence on the decision??? :dontknow:

December 1st was the tree lighting ceremony. I arrived early with some friends and we managed front row seats in the square. As more folks arrived a group with their own folding chairs made a row in front of ours. To tell you the truth we really didn't care but these people were infringing on the dance area. We were just there to sing carols and enjoy the ceremony and entertainment. After the tree lighting the band started to play. We witnessed this lady collapse and as she was helped up to her feet it became very evident she was plastered! OK.. The dance area was jammed and I decided to head home. My friends stayed to dance a bit more. Apparently right after I left some man who was line dancing and apparently drunk collided with another woman line dancer (not who he was dancing with) the man blue a fuse and THREW the lady into seating area!! My friends said that if I would have still been there this poor lady would have crashed right into me. Needless to say many of the surrounding men went after this guy!
Before you knew it there was some sort of brawl there taking place..

I am not against responsible drinking but there were those FEW who use these parties as an excuse to overindulge !!

My husband and I attended last years New Years celebration and although it was very crowded the overall crowd was not out of control. I hate to see the late night part of the celebration cancelled but maybe just maybe it had something to do with the incident above..

I think maybe they ought to use one of those empty stores in LSL and make it a VILLAGE JAIL!! :cop:

Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Veteran member

I hope they ban that jerk from both town squares! :verymad:

Old 12-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I think the explanation I read in the Daily Sun makes total sense to me. It is a matter of SAFETY. As everyone knows who has lived here for any amount of time, all those who go to the town squares for special events are NOT Villagers which is fine but they do not have the same interests as many Villagers. With the "visibility" of our town squares the crowds are larger, much more diverse and I certainly accept safety as the main issue

Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Veteran member

Bucco and seacruiser, think you are close in that the explanation I heard was that there were incidents at the tree lighting ceremony. These led the ("volunteer retiree") crowd control people asking for police presence or they would not work the NYE gathering. When law enforcement indicated they couldn't accomodate the request, the volunteers opted out. Leading to the cancellation.

Recall last NYE at LSL where non-residents (teens/20 year olds) were drunk and pushy. Also several incidents of drunks and vomiting in public. > >

Having private parties this year.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Veteran member

I'm also having a private party after, the canceling of NYE at LSL.
I wonder why 1 night a year the square can't be closed for villagers use only. :dontknow:
I'm just curious.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Gold member

All the conjecture voiced here seems valid. I will add one more thought.

I think the Entertainment dept heard the complaint about selling the spaces and therefore limiting the crowd as being unfair. In addition their were some "incidents" last year and complaints about to many outsiders monopolizing the party. So.... in order to appease everyone they just canceled and used the safety concerns as the reason. In their defence, the squares really are to small for such big draw events. Exactly the reason they moved the Christmas parade to the Polo Field.

Just my opinion wav

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Tis sad to say that growth has it's disadvantages as well as advantages.
I recognize the agreement between the county and the Developer on maintaining the openness of the Village Squares to the public and on any other given night this is very successful. However on the small percentage of nights there are incidents, its those nights that stick in our mind. I recall Mardis Gras night, when my wife and I, returning to our car, were overrun by young folks in a hurry to urinate on the bushes along side the sales office in LSL.
I recall another summer night, no special event, young folks being very rowdy on the corner in SS between Bourbon St and Martguerita's. This began after most villagers had gone home and it was near 11PM. The presence of county sherriff cars patrolling the streets did not set well with my image of TV
Needless to say this will probably get worse before it gets better. I do agree that the Christmas Parade on the polo fields is the beginning of many more large events to be held in the private portion of TV. For safety and security and to minimize extra security costs, this only make sense
I have the greatest faith that the staff on the Villages is well aware of what needs to be done to promote the "great life" we have in TV
Handie :joke:

Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
All the conjecture voiced here seems valid. I will add one more thought.

I think the Entertainment dept heard the complaint about selling the spaces and therefore limiting the crowd as being unfair. In addition their were some "incidents" last year and complaints about to many outsiders monopolizing the party. So.... in order to appease everyone they just canceled and used the safety concerns as the reason. In their defence, the squares really are to small for such big draw events. Exactly the reason they moved the Christmas parade to the Polo Field.

Just my opinion wav

Maybe, they should have the New Year's Eve party next year at the Polo Grounds and charge for it?

Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

and I'd think a "Villagers only" celebration and location seems appropriate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.