Just curious.......

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2017, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
There is a huge difference between a complaining about something and stating some pretty obvious facts.

The guards are not paid to simply open the visitors gate and to ignore or be unconscious regarding everything else!
They are paid to get off their duff and greet everyone, regardless of whether they are visitors, residents or tradesmen.
They are supposed to keep an eye out for anything abnormal in their immediate surroundings,
and to notify the proper authorities if they see something out of the ordinary or think something is suspicious.

It's apparent you live here and weren't aware of what these guards are supposed to do.
I'm well aware of the gate attendants (guards, as you call them) responsibilities, I just don't lose sleep if the one at my gate doesn't greet me with the morning paper.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Perhaps the emergency personnel do have cards to open the gates. Has anyone ever asked? I will.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Perhaps the emergency personnel do have cards to open the gates. Has anyone ever asked? I will.
It seems like they do. They are usually through the Belvedere Gate as soon as they can get the cars and other vehicles to pull over to the side.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Platinum member

Not to be political but. When we first moved here it was a true gated community. The county was in democratic control from Bushnell. They only liked the dollars that they received from The Villages, not the people who lived here. They made The Villages install the buttons and make the gates open to all.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I just don't understand how someone can hold so much unhappiness and anger. And over some of life's most un-important things.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
You are correct. The gates will never be removed. Want to know why? The Morses et al use the damn gates as a sales tool to make would-be buyers think TV is a grand, safe place to be.

What a joke. The gates are a waste of our hard earned $$$ and definitely do not make our community any safer.
Assuming you are very well informed on this subject with all the facts, please enlighten me.........

How much do the gates actually cost me in $$$ on a yearly basis?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM

I suggest we table the discussion for another 10 years.
Should vendors have gate cards to The Villages? - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Not to be political but. When we first moved here it was a true gated community. The county was in democratic control from Bushnell. They only liked the dollars that they received from The Villages, not the people who lived here. They made The Villages install the buttons and make the gates open to all.
Fake news...fake political blame.

The truth of the matter is, that when the maintenance was given to the county (instead of the developer being responsible)...the gates had to (BY LAW) be made public.

It's pretty hard to justify a 'private road/highway' being paid by county taxpayers...don'tcha think?

It really is as simple as that.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am going to guess that you are relatively knew to The Villages. I do agree and wish that we were a true gated community but we are not. However I suggest you watch an observe and you will discover that the gates have their place here

Personal Best Regards:
We are not a gated community but rather a community with gates.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Veteran member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I'm well aware of the gate attendants (guards, as you call them) responsibilities, I just don't lose sleep if the one at my gate doesn't greet me with the morning paper.
Frankly, I don't wait for a hello or anything else. But I do notice how you glazed over what they are supposed to do and don't do.

I'm glad you don't care how your money is spent, but if you want a newspaper, the annual rate for it is your best betand you will find it in your driveway, not at the gate.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBoo54 View Post
Assuming you are very well informed on this subject with all the facts, please enlighten me.........

How much do the gates actually cost me in $$$ on a yearly basis?
I don't have an exact figure for you at hand, unfortunately, but the cost to residents is well over one million dollars a year.

You have to take a number of things into consideration when you speak about what do the gates cost us.
Some of the things that come to mind are:

Electricity
Water/sewer
Salaries (gate people)
Maintenance & repair.
Insurance
Telephone (?)
Office supplies
Cameras

Tags
law, officers, enforcement, wondering, speed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.