Just digging around the yard. Possable Brain Coral fossil

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2023, 09:02 AM
Default Just digging around the yard. Possable Brain Coral fossil

So I was working on some Landscaping at our new home and found what I think is a fair sized piece that looks to be Fossilized Brain Coral. Any experts out there?

Just curious is all.....

20230328_094320-jpg

20230328_094328-jpg

Old 03-28-2023, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwoodrick View Post
So I was working on some Landscaping at our new home and found what I think is a fair sized piece that looks to be Fossilized Brain Coral. Any experts out there?
I don't think it is fossilized; just brain coral.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:08 PM

I've been looking for that since last Monday's Trepanning Club meeting.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I don't think it is fossilized; just brain coral.
Agree ! 99.9% it is brain coral, but not fossilized. Looks like all the good sized pieces that wash up with the tide... very "bleached out" appearance, grey-white, like driftwood. I've brought some good sized pieces home from the beaches over the years and used them decoratively in my flower beds so one day those to come may find brain coral in the V's, not just on the beach !
Old 03-29-2023, 06:20 AM
Default Thanks alot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Agree ! 99.9% it is brain coral, but not fossilized. Looks like all the good sized pieces that wash up with the tide... very "bleached out" appearance, grey-white, like driftwood. I've brought some good sized pieces home from the beaches over the years and used them decoratively in my flower beds so one day those to come may find brain coral in the V's, not just on the beach !

Thanks a lot! As a Kid we would explore around some old abandoned mines (Coal and Lime Stone). At the Lime Stone mine site it was an underground mine. The entrance was exposed where we could dig at the stone looking for fossils. Found may of Trilobites, small clams and plant stems. Never went to the beach much over the years to explore So Florida finds are new to me.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Thanks a lot! As a Kid we would explore around some old abandoned mines (Coal and Lime Stone). At the Lime Stone mine site it was an underground mine. The entrance was exposed where we could dig at the stone looking for fossils. Found may of Trilobites, small clams and plant stems. Never went to the beach much over the years to explore So Florida finds are new to me.
The soil used as fill is moved into the villages probably from various locations. Your coral who knows where it came from. Perhaps a kid found it and forgot where it was. We found a broken jaw bone perhaps from a large dog-definitely a meat eater due to remaining teeth
Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
We are perhaps lucky to have survived our childhood. We went through several really old houses. So old they were constructed using mortice and tenon joints.
Closed Thread

Tags
brain, coral, fair, sized, piece

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.