Is it just me, or...

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Default Is it just me, or...

Have you noticed that WVLG is playing a lot of Michael Jackson music recently, more so than in previous years? Or am I just noticing it more due to the recent controversy from the HBO documentary? I have heard 3 songs already today, and I only listen when I hear the station in the squares, store or on the car radio.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage

I thought the same thing. We listen to it the 1st thing in the a.m. as we like to listen to the two men banter back and forth. NOT a fan of Michael though...actually never was, even before his scandal.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Putting all of his personal life aside he was an entertainment genius. Although my era of music is late 50's and 60's I'm still very impressed when listening to his music and seeing his dance talent in videos, Billy Jean is my favorite and a great song to dance to. I wish he would have lived long enough to open in Las Vegas, that show would have been sold out for years to come, super talent and will most likely never see anyone come close to his natural abilities again.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Putting all of his personal life aside he was an entertainment genius. Although my era of music is late 50's and 60's I'm still very impressed when listening to his music and seeing his dance talent in videos, Billy Jean is my favorite and a great song to dance to. I wish he would have lived long enough to open in Las Vegas, that show would have been sold out for years to come, super talent and will most likely never see anyone come close to his natural abilities again.
I was a fan when he was a kid in the Jackson Five. I never stopped being a fan of his music. As for his personal life, I mostly felt sorry for him. He grew up under the public microscope, something no child should have to endure.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
He grew up under the public microscope, something no child should have to endure.
There are other things worse than that that children had, and have to endure.

Steve
Old 03-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,050 Times in 2,740 Posts

Not just Michael Jackson, but in general a sharp change in the type of music played in general on WVLG. We used to love to listen to WVLG because they played old music that brought back memories of when we were young and the only place we could hear that type of music was on WVLG. Lately they have been playing a lot of newer music, especially disco. WVLG now plays music we can hear on many other radio stations, without the endless loop of ad's for open houses with the Villages Property management, erectile disfunction products, and the like. If I hear them playing the Village People one more time I might smash my radio. I put disco right up there with rap as one of the types of music (calling it music is a major stretch) that I simply can not tolerate. WVLG is rapidly loosing it's spot on our radios speed dial. And to make matters worse, they are now playing the disco in FM, which the music simply doesn't deserve. I guess they are no longer catering to the generation of people who already own homes in the Villages and are reaching out to a younger generation of future home buyers. Not happy about it.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Saw him in concert twice. Row 6 and 12. It was the best I had ever attended. He was a truly was a talented young man
Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Default Deja vu all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not just Michael Jackson, but in general a sharp change in the type of music played in general on WVLG. We used to love to listen to WVLG because they played old music that brought back memories of when we were young and the only place we could hear that type of music was on WVLG. Lately they have been playing a lot of newer music, especially disco. WVLG now plays music we can hear on many other radio stations, without the endless loop of ad's for open houses with the Villages Property management, erectile disfunction products, and the like. If I hear them playing the Village People one more time I might smash my radio. I put disco right up there with rap as one of the types of music (calling it music is a major stretch) that I simply can not tolerate. WVLG is rapidly loosing it's spot on our radios speed dial. And to make matters worse, they are now playing the disco in FM, which the music simply doesn't deserve. I guess they are no longer catering to the generation of people who already own homes in the Villages and are reaching out to a younger generation of future home buyers. Not happy about it.
My dad used to wonder about the trash we listened to. Today, it is our classics.

Getting old jokes? Suddenly, I'm starting to understand them.
DON'T TELL ANYONE.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

From a pure talent perspective, MJ and Prince...are at the top of the heap.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

Haven’t listened to this Villages radio station yet, I noticed their tower is close to where I wanted to buy at first, but then I checked the EMF waves that were emitted. What genres do they play? Country, rock, classical, metal, pop, house etc? I guess it isn’t rap from your posts.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
From a pure talent perspective, MJ and Prince...are at the top of the heap.
Along with YES, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, Average White Band, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Jean-Pierre Rampal, and Bo Diddley.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
There are now a low of residents here that grew up with Disco, those of us that grew up with 50's and 60's music are diminishing and they are playing music for all. They even have a disco group now playing at the squares. There are very few people here anymore that remember the big band era and therefore it is not part of the programming.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

For the most part they have been playing trash lately
Old 03-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Along with YES, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP, Average White Band, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Jean-Pierre Rampal, and Bo Diddley.
Yes, all great talented singers and musicians (Bo Didldley was the first entertainer I saw in person) but with the possible exception of Prince they never put on a show like Michael Jackson the man was simply a super talent. MJ was to entertainment what Robin Williams was to improv. comedy, they had no equals.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

Oh dear, I was sooo looking forwards to a little progressive rock... too.
Closed Thread

Tags
songs, heard, documentary, controversy, hbo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.