Kilwin's Ice Cream Experience

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Default Kilwin's Ice Cream Experience

We have lived here for 10 years and have tried all of the various ice cream parlors over the years and loved Kilwin's hot fudge sundaes. So last evening at 6:30 we loaded up the grandkids and drove 20 minutes to Kilwin's. There was a line for ice cream as expected but only one young lady working and she was busy making cones and working the register. When our turn came, we started by ordering two hot fudge sundaes and she immediately said " we don't have hot fudge available because I just plugged it in". I asked how long before it would be ready and she said about 20 minutes. The kids opted to have cones rather than wait so we ordered vanilla (all out), cookies & cream (out), cookie dough (out), choc & peanut butter (out), choc almond (out), regular chocolate (out). With everyone frustrated and disappointed, we left and went to our 2nd choice which was Haagen Dazs where they had everything and the prices were the same or lower. Obviously we expect issues when the population is as it's peak during Easter Break, but having one employee working and being out of most flavors was unexpected and disappointing especially after driving out of our way with a carload of visitors. Haagen Dazs it is for us in the future!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

I would not be too happy if I had to wait in a long line to figure out they were out of the main products they serve. You would think someone would put a temporary sign to warn customers.

Why did she plug in the hot fudge if there was no vanilla ice cream?

I might give them a second chance... but after that, I would not bother with them.

It is pretty easy to find good ice cream.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In every life some rain must fall.

I am Grace and I am addicted to Publix Rum Raisin.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum member

isn't that funny....I didn't even know there was an ice cream place called Kilwin's and we've been here for 1 1/2 years! I looked them up online just find that they are in Spanish Springs.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Grandaughter was down last week. She wanted her favorite Kilwins so we went. Only to find half the flavors out of stock, oh not until Wednesday they said. No waffle cones or sugar cones either. Only dishes. Wow this stinks Popie she says lets go to Peachwave instead. Not a good sign, I've never seen that before.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Looks like a classic case of management not managing.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

That location of Kilwin's has had several different owners .... looks like it will have another before long.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to cwnavy1

Give Mystic Ice Cream on 466 A down in Fruitland Park a try. Kind of a strange place, reminds me of hippie type places 30 years ago, but great ice cream, even a bunch of "adult" ice creams made with real alcohol. Nice ambience too.

CA, Ariz., Texas, Georgia, Now- TV!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Gold member
Red face Ollies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
We have lived here for 10 years and have tried all of the various ice cream parlors over the years and loved Kilwin's hot fudge sundaes. So last evening at 6:30 we loaded up the grandkids and drove 20 minutes to Kilwin's. There was a line for ice cream as expected but only one young lady working and she was busy making cones and working the register. When our turn came, we started by ordering two hot fudge sundaes and she immediately said " we don't have hot fudge available because I just plugged it in". I asked how long before it would be ready and she said about 20 minutes. The kids opted to have cones rather than wait so we ordered vanilla (all out), cookies & cream (out), cookie dough (out), choc & peanut butter (out), choc almond (out), regular chocolate (out). With everyone frustrated and disappointed, we left and went to our 2nd choice which was Haagen Dazs where they had everything and the prices were the same or lower. Obviously we expect issues when the population is as it's peak during Easter Break, but having one employee working and being out of most flavors was unexpected and disappointing especially after driving out of our way with a carload of visitors. Haagen Dazs it is for us in the future!
Try Ollies, very reasonable prices, large servings and most of all that old fashioned frozen custard is wonderful.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Go to Ollie's
Old 04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnavy1 View Post
Give Mystic Ice Cream on 466 A down in Fruitland Park a try. Kind of a strange place, reminds me of hippie type places 30 years ago, but great ice cream, even a bunch of "adult" ice creams made with real alcohol. Nice ambience too.
hippie place you say ... I will have to check that out!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Sage

Too far from TV but this thread has reminded me of Jackson's in Ft. Lauderdale. I can't wait to get there and see what new flavors they have.

Has anyone tried Jackson's?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Kilwin's toasted coconut...yummm!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnavy1 View Post
+1
+1
+1
+1

Oh, am I repeating myself? Must have had more adult ice cream than I should have. Our usual comment when we stop there, "Honest officer, I just had two ice creams."

BTW - it is Mystic Ices and Creams. And when you go you will see my picture on the back wall, meaning I am a repeat customer who got to spin the wheel.

One last comment - the owner does magic tricks for the customers.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM

I like Malts, I have tried three times at Kilwins over the last 6 months...they never have Malt! Ollie's is good but sometimes I want real ice cream not custard.

Bill
NY, Miami, Elizabeth City, Mobile, Corpus Christi, Cape Cod, Corpus Christi, Miami, Arnold MD, Mobile, Atlanta, Greenville NC, Raleigh, Village Rio Ranchero!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.