Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When people keep mentioning money and greed, my mind leaps to the possibility that they were the ones who didn't save their money like their mom told them to do.

They didn't cut their own hair, or work overtime or sew their own curtains or clip coupons. And they maxed out their credit cards and bought dumb stuff they didn't need and never ate leftovers and bought houses they couldn't afford.

That is what I think when people bring up money and greed.

They shoulda listened to their mom.

Of course it is about the money to be made. That isn't a BAD thing.
Well said! Besides, all the expert complainers could rent a building and build another Katie Belle's just the way they want it,--- and they could keep ALL the gigantic profits just for themselves. That's the American way.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Well said! Besides, all the expert complainers could rent a building and build another Katie Belle's just the way they want it,--- and they could keep ALL the gigantic profits just for themselves. That's the American way.
IF they could get permission from Mark Morse. They would have to find a piece of land that Morse would be willing to sell them, then they would have to have their plans approved by Morse, then they would have to give Morse a percentage of their profits. That's The Villages way.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Default One of the very positive impressions of The Villages Lost wo Katie Belle's

I know its hard to believe but some of us didn't come here to golf. As several have indicated Katie Belles left a very positive check mark on their "would I move here list". While Katie Belle's might not have been the only reason for us buying here (and BTW currently very south of 466) it clearly left a very positive impression of the life style represented here and as dancers it probably was a larger + for us then those that aren't. But I don't think it takes a dancer to appreciate what Katie Belles represented and the positive impression the atmosphere probably left in most peoples mind. A Trader Joes (or what ever) in the first floor or a floating dance floor upstairs is kind of like saying we are improving the golf here by replacing the last 2 holes with miniature golf and everyone shaking there head and saying "The Villages can't be wrong give them a chance, I'm sure it will be just great like everything else they did". Could it have been updated a bit > perhaps; could the food have been improved > YES, could the drink prices be lower > N0. I think the only thing that would soften my opinion is building a nicer facility, with even more character, in Brownwood and I don't see that happening but I guess I can hope. Oh BTW I do golf (some have questioned this ) now and would not be happy with miniature golf on the last 2 holes > move that over to the soft ball fields between 2nd, 3rd AND HOME base ( I don't play softball) -- keep away from the PB courts. Oh (two many Oh) I think the name of the new facility should be changed since calling it Katie Belles wouldn't be right; How about "Upstairs at Spanish Springs" or a real classy name thats sure draw like dinning at "Trader Joes" (or what ever). Got all that off my chest for now, wish I could get it off my mid section as easy.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage

Excellent dadspet!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I do feel that Katie Bells is a tribute to the original villages...I don't think that changing the Structure of a building that has been around since the 70's is going to be the answer..

I do think that a new management company possibly will help bring in the money... I do understand the problem and the no refill on sodas rule established years ago was not the answer. I don't think that listening to there mom has anything to do with this venture.....
You are twenty years off the mark about how old Katie Belles is.... And you have chosen to not live HERE.

And there is nothing wrong with making money. Stealing it is another thing. Money is nice to have when you need it. You can take care of your self and not burden others. And if you have enough you can build retirement communities for old-er people and if you do it well that retirement community becomes the fastest growing place in The United States....without government funding too.

Yup. It is about the best thing I have found since canned beer.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Default Katie Belle's

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Not sure how you got "selfish" out of that. Any smart business man would walk away from a losing proposition, just like Morse would if he wasn't making money on this.

One of my favorite capitalists is S. Truett Cathy. Most who eat at his restaurant don't even know his name. They like the product, and they buy. They don't bow down and say "look what this wonderful man did for us out of the kindness of his heart!"
You're right...capitalism doesn't have to have selfless motives to succeed. But many villagers see TV as a venture by the developer that sincerely considers the wants and needs of the residents...as well as their own. To refer to those villagers with such terms as "blind sheep" and "bow down" belittles both the developer and those villagers who don't share your opinion.
I don't think most people who are happy here say "look what this wonderful man did for us out of the kindness of his heart!". I think they simply believe he is a good developer...who makes a lot of money for that very reason.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
IF they could get permission from Mark Morse. They would have to find a piece of land that Morse would be willing to sell them, then they would have to have their plans approved by Morse, then they would have to give Morse a percentage of their profits. That's The Villages way.
Absolutely, and it would be my way also. LOL
Old 04-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Gold member

Mr. Midnight has left the building.
Rumor has it his new base of operations is Scooples in Brownwood.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Likely a joke, but I do believe that something big is behind this change. Some business must want a prominent spot on the square and TV was willing to make changes to make that happen.

Much like they did in moving Banner Mercantile and the WVLG station to make way for the new World of Beer.
"We the People", actually vote for our favorite business with our wallets. If enough people like it and spend their dollars at an establishment , it will most likely survive. Survival of the fittest is what clears out the dead wood and brings on renewal and inovation.

If you want to save an "historic" treasure or icon, someone has to pay for it--like contributors or tax payers.

I choose capitalism, even though it is sometimes sad to see an old friend go.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
"We the People", actually vote for our favorite business with our wallets. If enough people like it and spend their dollars at an establishment , it will most likely survive. Survival of the fittest is what clears out the dead wood and brings on renewal and inovation.

If you want to save an "historic" treasure or icon, someone has to pay for it--like contributors or tax payers.

I choose capitalism, even though it is sometimes sad to see an old friend go.
Well said.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many of us do not agree with this completely, although a builder is in business to sell buildings, just simply because evidence supports the fact that the Morse family have a great deal of pride in what they have created. Wouldn't you if you had built this place?

Very few have met the Morse family in person and all I can see is that they have been a success because of their hard work and good values.

I wonder why some folks feel the need to find only bad things about successful business people. Envy, maybe?

I think that the Morses funding their own urban renewal is way cool, Warren.

I honor them. They are my hero's. Ordinary people coming from the middle of the country, using the skills and values of Midwesterners and searching and finding skills in others they don't have and hiring them, Keeping only the best workers and planners. Not grandstanding their private life. Risking their own money time and time again. Working long after they HAVE to. Keeping thousands employed and all without a drop of federal money. If I had been wise enough I would have liked to do the same thing.
I suggest you check out the meaning of ordinary as it applies to the Schwartz family. I don't consider owning a successful restaurant and multiple radio stations as being an ordinary family. Risking ones own money was not how the Villages were built. If one is aware of how the CCD's functioned is easily becomes understandable how you can build something like the Villages on other peoples money. Walt Disney did exactly the same thing. Bonds are sold, the developer gest operating capital, buyers pay off the bonds.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana13 View Post
If it ain't broke why fix it.???? Katie Belle's was always the place I took visitor's who came to see us. We would either go the the Cattlemen's club, or stay down stairs. They loved the music, dance floor and down home atmosphere. What are the developers thinking??????. Money, money, money, This place is an icon, with a history that goes back to the original concept of the restaurant and dance hall they started in Michigan. Why change??. The Villages is called Florida's Friendliest home town. Well it is not the home town any more, it is a mega city, and still growing. When will it stop, we do not have the infrastructure to support the growth. And what existing landmarks we have are now being destroyed for further development, What has happened to the original concept of why this community was built. I love this place and moved here because of all of the above, and we as residents just sit back and watch the changes, and never voice our opinions except to neighbors, and golf buddies. The Morse family has got to stop and reconsider what the original plan was. Leave The Villages as is. Stop the growth and move to another area to develop.
The family forgot what Harold Schwartz's vision was for the Villages.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I am probable amongst the minority here but I think it's time for Katie Bells to get a make over. I was there not long ago and my first impression was that it felt very dated. Not exactly the members only club I would frequent much. I think if we let the Morses do what they do so well and give us a venue that is modern and fresh in the end we will grow to love it. Just look around.....how many buildings have been done poorly? I can't think of any. Their style and design is second to none as proven with the rec centers. I think change is hard but give it time and we will appreciate it.
I am a loss for words when I hear some say KB is dated. For gosh sakes it is designed to be a 1800's dance hall. It will be a long time before we see such beautiful oak wood railings, etc again. Is Sumter Landing dated because it has been designed to be similar to Key West ???
Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Gold member

Tonight (Friday) I took my 3 daughters and 2 of our teen granddaughters for a "Girls Nite Out" at Katie Belle's. We couldn't think of a better place for a GNO.

We have lived here almost a year now and hubby and I have been once before, during our LifeStyle visit. Katie Belle's and The Cattle Barron both had mediocre food when we visited then and I must say they did tonight too. We would never take friends there for that reason.

Tonight we had a great night of dancing and people watching and enjoyed "Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs". Katie Belle's is charming, but is dusty, dated and can benefit from a facelift.

I realize some people love this place, but to us it is just ok. So many other great dining options. I guess it's "cool" to have a member's only club. But it would be nice to have one that is clean, fresh, upgraded with a better menu.

I am looking forward to the new Katie Belle's! Maybe it will be a place we would go more than once a year!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I am a loss for words when I hear some say KB is dated. For gosh sakes it is designed to be a 1800's dance hall. It will be a long time before we see such beautiful oak wood railings, etc again. Is Sumter Landing dated because it has been designed to be similar to Key West ???
I agree that KB's is supposed to look 1800-ish but it should look like it hasn't been updated since 1800. As fr the Oak railings - most of what they do is inhibit the view of any of the shows on stage. If you sit anywhere behind the posts the view is less than clear.

I wonder if people would be so upset if Chico's decided to sell men's clothing? or maybe Kilwins became a salad bar!

I applaud the change at Katie Belle's
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.