Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Imagine how many people were sworn to secrecy.
Absolutely.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

Is there a link for the survey?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
This is no different from how the family normally operates. I don't see a conspiracy with the timing. Much planning goes on behind the scenes, and there is no announcement until the plans are finalized and approved. On one hand, it leads to a lot of speculation and wild, at times, rumors. On the other hand, we never have to see our hopes dashed when a plan is announced and then doesn't come to fruition. I once visited Golf Administration and was seen in a room that had a map of all the golf courses to be constructed south of 466A. I started to take a photo with my cell phone and was told firmly that I could not.

I think it is telling that Katie Belle's has never been duplicated at Lake Sumter or Brownwood. If it was a successful residents' club, I think we would have a similar club in another town square, especially as the community expands southward. The fact that we don't, tells me it was a losing proposition. Perhaps we should be satisfied that it is not closing entirely. Perhaps the income from the retail/commercial space created is the saving grace for Katie Belle's to survive.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
This is no different from how the family normally operates. I don't see a conspiracy with the timing. Much planning goes on behind the scenes, and there is no announcement until the plans are finalized and approved. On one hand, it leads to a lot of speculation and wild, at times, rumors. On the other hand, we never have to see our hopes dashed when a plan is announced and then doesn't come to fruition. I once visited Golf Administration and was seen in a room that had a map of all the golf courses to be constructed south of 466A. I started to take a photo with my cell phone and was told firmly that I could not.

I think it is telling that Katie Belle's has never been duplicated at Lake Sumter or Brownwood. If it was a successful residents' club, I think we would have a similar club in another town square, especially as the community expands southward. The fact that we don't, tells me it was a losing proposition. Perhaps we should be satisfied that it is not closing entirely. Perhaps the income from the retail/commercial space created is the saving grace for Katie Belle's to survive.
Well spoken !!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Well spoken !!
Any time I've ever been there, which is as seldom as possible, there are many signs that lots of their clientele are NOT "Residents". I don't know who they are but you need to be blind not to notice they are "non residents".
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Sage

I found the survey, it's to late for me as I cant get access to my access code before midnight, but for others the link is Survey Login

Express your feelings about Katie Belles etc. Before this Katie Belle downsizing plan, I did not have anything to complain about.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:29 PM

There is one unique place to dine & dance in the Villages and it's being destroyed. People take visiting friends there to show off the community. Some of those visitors buy at the Villages partially because of seeing KB's. It's part of the tour Village real estate agents give to prospective buyers. There are golf courses, rec centers, restaurants, and bars in other retirement communities. But there is only one two-story dance hall, restaurant, and entertainment center that looks like it's something from the set of Gunsmoke. And it's in the Villages.

Management is taking something unique and turning it into a commodity. People can go to multiple places in the Villages for a reasonable quality meal, listen to free music, and dance on a small dance floor. There will be nothing "special" about the new KB's. It will be a commodity. What will be the point of even keeping it "residents only" any more?

Commodities don't increase property values. Unique venues increase the value of a community. It would be far cheaper & less risky to experiment first with opening KB's to the public to increase profitability. And/or charge a cover charge. BB King's in Orlando charges a cover charge just to enter -- whether or not you buy anything to eat. And its decor is mundane compared to KB's.

There is a "goodwill" value to KB's that should be added to its bottom line each year to determine its real value to the corporation & the community. The same technique used by accountants to assess the value of a business beyond its balance sheet. The goal should be to maximize the total value of the Villages corporate & private community, not individual components. Some components will contribute more, some less, to the overall value. Much like "loss leaders" are used in retail stores to draw in the customer who will then spend money on other items, increasing the store's total profit. Will another "commodity" restaurant increase the total value of the community more than a refurbished unique venue?

I say this as someone who meets friends at KB's two or three times a month for dining and dancing. Either lunch or dinner, or both. I drive 110 miles and 2 1/2 hours (round trip) to do it. Because KB's is unique. I won't do that for the "new" KB's. I will be able to have that same experience much closer to home.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wasn't too much of a secret. We heard about it two months ago.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Sage

BigbirdPhila, perfectly stated. You should have been a writer.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbirdPhila View Post
There is one unique place to dine & dance in the Villages and it's being destroyed. People take visiting friends there to show off the community. Some of those visitors buy at the Villages partially because of seeing KB's. It's part of the tour Village real estate agents give to prospective buyers. There are golf courses, rec centers, restaurants, and bars in other retirement communities. But there is only one two-story dance hall, restaurant, and entertainment center that looks like it's something from the set of Gunsmoke. And it's in the Villages.

Management is taking something unique and turning it into a commodity. People can go to multiple places in the Villages for a reasonable quality meal, listen to free music, and dance on a small dance floor. There will be nothing "special" about the new KB's. It will be a commodity. What will be the point of even keeping it "residents only" any more?

Commodities don't increase property values. Unique venues increase the value of a community. It would be far cheaper & less risky to experiment first with opening KB's to the public to increase profitability. And/or charge a cover charge. BB King's in Orlando charges a cover charge just to enter -- whether or not you buy anything to eat. And its decor is mundane compared to KB's.

There is a "goodwill" value to KB's that should be added to its bottom line each year to determine its real value to the corporation & the community. The same technique used by accountants to assess the value of a business beyond its balance sheet. The goal should be to maximize the total value of the Villages corporate & private community, not individual components. Some components will contribute more, some less, to the overall value. Much like "loss leaders" are used in retail stores to draw in the customer who will then spend money on other items, increasing the store's total profit. Will another "commodity" restaurant increase the total value of the community more than a refurbished unique venue?

I say this as someone who meets friends at KB's two or three times a month for dining and dancing. Either lunch or dinner, or both. I drive 110 miles and 2 1/2 hours (round trip) to do it. Because KB's is unique. I won't do that for the "new" KB's. I will be able to have that same experience much closer to home.
Another parking space has now become available.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post

Maybe more depending on where the friends are from.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbirdPhila View Post
I have a question? Someone help me out! If Katies Belles is a "residents only club" how is poster driving 110 miles to go to KBs? Are they a non-resident owner? Someone going as a guest of their Villager friend? This goes back to my theory of non-residents posting on this site trashing The Villages and/or the developers. I would like to see folks have thier Village listed in the upper right or state thier Village. BTW, mine is Santiago.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 PM

As a really new resident I have enjoyed KB"s .I think it sad but it all come down to money .Now that he Sharon will open they want people to spend entertainment dollars there ,that's just my thought .the cost of a show @KB is small compared to what I am seeing @ the sharon .
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I won't have to worry about parking at the square. I bought a parking spot from a guy on Craig's List right in front of Dunkin' Donuts!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I have a question? Someone help me out! If Katies Belles is a "residents only club" how is poster driving 110 miles to go to KBs? Are they a non-resident owner? Someone going as a guest of their Villager friend? This goes back to my theory of non-residents posting on this site trashing The Villages and/or the developers. I would like to see folks have thier Village listed in the upper right or state thier Village. BTW, mine is Santiago.
people do meet people at Katie Bells.......Someone in the party has to have the appropriate credentials.

We love it in the summer months when its just too dang hot to dance in the squares. It nice to be in the a/c in July and August, have dinner, drink a little and dance.

As far as recognizing your village, I think with some of the hostility on this site, I would not be in favor of that. Also some TOTV's are non residents, renters, landlords and the such. But security would be number 1.

Thats my opinion anyway, 'Im in favor of a cover charge that can be refunded if you spend that amount on food and drinks....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.