Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Further proof that there are large numbers of people here who have never worked in a private-sector enterprise in which everyone has to focus on generating enough revenue to pay the bills of running the place, to at least break even.

I think a lot of people are absolutely clueless about the costs of running a place like Katie Belle's, and then they whine about low wages for workers. I swear some have no concept of an Income-Expense Worksheet!

Without a cover charge and with low spending, obviously TV has been subsidizing the operation to keep it afloat. At best, the revamp will bring it to break-even.

Some who complain and vilify business owners ought to put their money where their mouth is and start a business and try bringing in enough to pay its bills. But that would be too much work and personal sacrifice for those who want only an 8-5, Monday thru Friday 40-hour work week and fully vested pension at age 55.
I think the complainers should buy Katie Belles and put their money into it and see how long that would last !!

Last edited by Bonny; 04-06-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I can remember when Gary Morse was the "bad guy" because he didn't do things like Harold Swartz. Now that he is gone, give them a break, please. None of them built this place so that everyone could have everything for free or cater to all the various whims of those coming here or those who have been here for many, many years. This is exactly what makes our The Villages so unique. To quote one of the engineers at the plant from which we retired, "This is not Burger King, and 'No', you cannot have it your way."
Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
I can remember when Gary Morse was the "bad guy" because he didn't do things like Harold Swartz. Now that he is gone, give them a break, please. None of them built this place so that everyone could have everything for free or cater to all the various whims of those coming here or those who have been here for many, many years. This is exactly what makes our The Villages so unique. To quote one of the engineers at the plant from which we retired, "This is not Burger King, and 'No', you cannot have it your way."
Great post Dillywho.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Platinum member
Default Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
It certainly was presented as an Amenity to those buying near it. Giving them a chance when they can not undo the renovation is wrong. They are taking away more than 50% of the square feet and 80% of the cubic feet, and 100% of the atmosphere.

These young billionaires should look at the bigger picture. Dont listen to the Accountants all the time. You three appeared very sincere in "The Sharon" presentation, make your parents proud.
How many people on here remember when the space occupied by Chico's now was a part of Katie Belle's? It was called Delmonico's Steak House. This same furor arose when that went away. If I remember correctly, Cattle Baron came into being and was private....you had to be a member.

Also, the reasoning behind eventually making KB private, as well, was because the residents could not get in because it was being patronized so heavily by people from surrounding areas. We came here when you had to go to Ocala or Leesburg for many, many things. SS was the only game...there was no LSL even, much less Brownwood.

The point is, there have been many changes over the years, and there will be many more in the future. If the Morses go away, so will this community's uniqueness. That's how I 'envision' it.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
How many people on here remember when the space occupied by Chico's now was a part of Katie Belle's? It was called Delmonico's Steak House. This same furor arose when that went away. If I remember correctly, Cattle Baron came into being and was private....you had to be a member.

Also, the reasoning behind eventually making KB private, as well, was because the residents could not get in because it was being patronized so heavily by people from surrounding areas. We came here when you had to go to Ocala or Leesburg for many, many things. SS was the only game...there was no LSL even, much less Brownwood.

The point is, there have been many changes over the years, and there will be many more in the future. If the Morses go away, so will this community's uniqueness. That's how I 'envision' it.
Yes!!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:

They used to do the salad wheel and bring it to your table. When they stopped the salad wheel (of course everyone complained) the salad bar was set up in the part where Chicos is. And those poor servers in those huge old time dresses. LOL
Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 PM

to the folks that are concerned about losing an amenity, you lost it years ago when they let in non-residents (not meaning residents family or friends who come to visit ).....for the folks with the walker concern there is an elevator.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Platinum member

I can't believe this topic has reached 20 pages! What more can be said???
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72 View Post
MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you get a two fer on the spot?
No problem, I'll happily share with you. You will know the spot. I put up orange cones and roped it off.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
By the time we get around to hating Gary's grandkids the population will be over million

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I can't believe this topic has reached 20 pages! What more can be said???
Perhaps people can elaborate on what will draw them to the new KB's instead of the old KB's. Or, more importantly, what will draw them to the new KB's instead of the many other generic restaurants around the rest of the Villages and the surrounding area.

For me, it will be based on convenience. Minimize driving and parking hassles. It looks like there will be nothing to draw me specifically to the new KB's.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

From all the downer posts, I assume the sky is falling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

I hope if by some remote chance, that everything works out well, that all the doom and gloom folks come back and mention it.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbirdPhila View Post
Perhaps people can elaborate on what will draw them to the new KB's instead of the old KB's. Or, more importantly, what will draw them to the new KB's instead of the many other generic restaurants around the rest of the Villages and the surrounding area.

For me, it will be based on convenience. Minimize driving and parking hassles. It looks like there will be nothing to draw me specifically to the new KB's.
To help put things in perspective, how many of the "I Love Katie Belle" folks would drive to Brownwood if it were located there? Many of us that live in the southern part of TV are not all that wild about driving to SS just for an OK, but not great dinner. "Private Club?" thanks, but no thanks. Too many other good choices in the area (broadly cast to include Mt Dora, Ocala, etc.)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Katie Belle's has an odd charm, not exactly good food, but charm. I hope they one has charm as well. The Cattle Baron went downhill awhile ago and is not palatable, so no loss there. The country clubs below 466A are truly generic. Some slightly different decor but you don't know which one you are in as the menus are so similar. That was predictable since they are owned by the same person. Above 466 things aren't so cookie cutter. Love Lopez, the Oasis pool bar, Glenview C C. Still, the Villages restaurants arei better than most and the prices are reasonable. Go outside TV and you get sticker shock. I am thankful for what we have.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
To help put things in perspective, how many of the "I Love Katie Belle" folks would drive to Brownwood if it were located there? Many of us that live in the southern part of TV are not all that wild about driving to SS just for an OK, but not great dinner. "Private Club?" thanks, but no thanks. Too many other good choices in the area (broadly cast to include Mt Dora, Ocala, etc.)
Thanks, I made a similar point about 10 pages ago. This is just not big of an issue for those south of 466, or LSL. However, since SS is the closest town square to me, I am looking forward to the new and improved Katie Belles!

Let's move on. I am sure there are other topics to rail about!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.