Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Eternal Member

Hard to believe this thread has created 26 pages.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Founder

One has to wonder ifthe structural integrity of the second floor was designed to hold the combined weight of all the people dancing. I guess engineers will have to do some work on that before anything is completed.

hello
Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Lansing View Post
Too bad money seems to be the driving force !!!!! The atmosphere is superb now , ! - I'm afraid it will be lost upstairs !! The openness of the sand floor is most unique ,
I always imagine 'GUNSMOKE ' and 'Miss Kitty ' when I go in there !!!!! That will be Lost ,
After reading all the posts there are many questions unanswered. I always was of the opinion katy bells was owned by the developer. To say it never made money i don't beleive for a moment. Many nights of the week all seats and bar full. If it wasn't making money would have raised prices years ago and in fact there pricing hasn't changed a whole lot in years. maybe a different story for cattle baron. In the end it is a simple story that if you own property and are not violating any laws you can do what you want. Buying more land to build more houses is not something residents have a say in. The cdds can offer requests , more rec centers etc. but in the end developer can do what they want. 300 more residents will not build an other grocery store or restaurant. Also how amenity money and katy bells closure is something i don't understand.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that sales agents use it as part of a sales pitch implies that, from their professional judgement and client feedback, it does have a value to prospective buyers and would argue that you are wrong.

Many on this thread argue that KB was unprofitable and hence it makes perfect business sense to close/change. As others have stated, but warrants repeating, what The Villages as a corporation sells is a Lifestyle - it's what separates TV from the myriad of other retirement communities. That is more than just an individual restaurant or activity, it is the entirety of the experience. Closing what many consider to be a significant contributor to that lifestyle or ambiance becaue it may not be making a direct contribution to the bottom line is akin to Disney cancelling its parade down Main Street because it costs millions to put on but doesn't generate any direct revenue.

The KB closing (yes, for all intents and purpose KB as a unique venue is gone forever), is just one of many degradations to the lifestyle that I have experienced since we have been here. I suspect that change in the direction of lifestyle degradation will only continue - at least those components that may not individually add to the bottom line of the developer. The one positive exception to this may be the Sharon - I am impressed with its possibilities. I hope it finds the right mix of quality entertainment at a pricepoint that is sustainable.

I wonder if the Life Long Learning Center is profitable? If not, it too may find its way to the chopping block.
Excellent post. Bears repeating.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Hard to believe this thread has created 26 pages.
Because KB's is an icon. Unique to the Florida retirement community market. Maybe even the US market. It (currently) is not a generic restaurant. The new one will be. The Villages is not helping distinguish itself in this crowded market. It is blending in.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 AM

On Rocky & the Rollers nights, KB's is packed. 200+ people. Multiple times per month. Where are all these dancers going to dance once the current Katie's closes? In a multi-story, air conditioned venue with a wooden dance floor or on cement in a town square? On a hot, humid summer night.

The bad news is going to travel fast once reality sets in.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Eternal Member

We bought in 1999. We have seen the many sides to Katie Belles. The whole bottom (including Chicos) and the upstairs was all Katie Belles. The servers wore those great big period dresses, spats, etc. They had a big salad wheel they brought to the table. There was a pool table and a tabletop shuffleboard next to the upstairs bar. We would go upstairs and drink and shoot pool. Norman Lee and The Katie Bar The Door Band was the house band. $1.00 burgers on the patio on Tuesdays and several of the girls wore roller skates. The girls would all get together for a fashion show there. So we know the uniqueness of Katie Belles and we have seen many, many changes there.
Every time a change came, everyone was upset !!
We have another change and I'm sure it will be done with total class and will be beautiful.
And..... life will go on.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbirdPhila View Post
On Rocky & the Rollers nights, KB's is packed. 200+ people. Multiple times per month. Where are all these dancers going to dance once the current Katie's closes? In a multi-story, air conditioned venue with a wooden dance floor or on cement in a town square? On a hot, humid summer night.

The bad news is going to travel fast once reality sets in.
There will be a dance floor upstairs. Katie Belles is not closing, just movin' on up.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
We bought in 1999. We have seen the many sides to Katie Belles. The whole bottom (including Chicos) and the upstairs was all Katie Belles. The servers wore those great big period dresses, spats, etc. They had a big salad wheel they brought to the table. There was a pool table and a tabletop shuffleboard next to the upstairs bar. We would go upstairs and drink and shoot pool. Norman Lee and The Katie Bar The Door Band was the house band. $1.00 burgers on the patio on Tuesdays and several of the girls wore roller skates. The girls would all get together for a fashion show there. So we know the uniqueness of Katie Belles and we have seen many, many changes there.
We have another change and I'm sure it will be done with total class and will be beautiful.
And..... life will go on.
You mean...change happens?!?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You mean...change happens?!?
And... we may survive ! LOL
Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Because KB's is an icon. Unique to the Florida retirement community market. Maybe even the US market. It (currently) is not a generic restaurant. The new one will be. The Villages is not helping distinguish itself in this crowded market. It is blending in.
ridiculous! The Villages hardly needs KBS to distinguish itself in the market...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
So we know the uniqueness of Katie Belles and we have seen many, many changes there.
Yes, change happens. But this time you are losing the building (basically). This is not a costume change or something easily tried & then reversed if it doesn't work. What's going to bring customers into the new Katie's that a (refurbished) old Katie's couldn't have done? I would argue that people will be less inclined to go to the new Katie's.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
There will be a dance floor upstairs. Katie Belles is not closing, just movin' on up.
It will be nowhere near the size of the current one. They're covering that section of the building with tables. In fact, it can't even be seen in the artist's rendering that I saw. Definitely couldn't handle the R&R crowd.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Yes, change happens. But this time you are losing the building (basically). This is not a costume change or something easily tried & then reversed if it doesn't work. What's going to bring customers into the new Katie's that a (refurbished) old Katie's couldn't have done? I would argue that people will be less inclined to go to the new Katie's.
We loved going up there and shooting pool then sitting out on the balcony and we sure missed those $1.00 burgers. No we didn't like the changes made, but we still went.
I couldn't say people would be "less inclined to go" there.
It would be a shame if people don't go there because they "don't like" the change. It would be their loss.
Katie Belles will go on.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
The Villages has many unique features. Probably "free golf for life" is the best known.
The active lifestyle and hundreds of activities/clubs/pools are also well known. Also the three Town Squares.
We will still have a Resident's club called Katie Belles.
I doubt the lack of a two-story KB will deter anyone from buying a home in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.