Katie Belle's

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Default Katie Belle's

According to the Daily Sun, Katie Belle's is being relocated to the second floor and the Cattle Baron's Club is going away. Seating is being expanded to 300 and the first floor will be commercial. Although not explicitly stated, looking at the artist rendition in the paper showing entertainment and seating area, there does not appear to be a dancing area.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I noticed that also. I suspect they will continue with a dance floor, however. One of the things I liked about Katie Belle's was the high ceiling with a very open feel. It's looks like that may be lost with the relocation to the 2nd floor. I remain optimistic that it will turn out well but it isn't clear to me how this will be an improvement over what I think is a really great venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
According to the Daily Sun, Katie Belle's is being relocated to the second floor and the Cattle Baron's Club is going away. Seating is being expanded to 300 and the first floor will be commercial. Although not explicitly stated, looking at the artist rendition in the paper showing entertainment and seating area, there does not appear to be a dancing area.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage

Not sure, it appears so be a sad day in Village history. The open area above the large dance floor is what makes it wonderful.

Someone with more energy than me please start a campaign to stop this!!! Commercial space open to the public?????

This is a surprise with no notice, I know its free enterprise but somehow I feel they are taking away one of our best amenities. Is there a rule on that?

It is one of the most iconic things that unites Villagers.

Last edited by Allegiance; 04-01-2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: so sad :(
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Looks like a music hall to me...no or very minimal dance floor
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

"resident-only club" in a retirement community located on the second floor ? Brilliant idea for those with walkers and wheelchairs.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

I'm calling shenanigans. Elaborate April Fools joke?

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

This looks like a awful idea that people should strongly voice their opinion on to The Villages and editor of the article. It clearly looks like no dance floor or at best a very minimal dance floor(not sure where) with no character. The current two story look (2nd floor overlooking the dance floor) with high ceiling is part of the attraction and unique look of Katie Belles. The Villages is taking away one of our best amenities for another cookie cutter restaurant. Even those that didn't dance enjoyed watching the dancers. Oh I almost forgot "First floor future commercial use" > give me a break who cares or wants commercial stores in Katie Belles! Putting this in the same category as the renovation of the new Performing Arts center is a sham. This looks clearly like a very bad idea that I hope residents will voice their opinion on and protest.

david.thevillagesmedia.com is the managing editor ( 753-1119 ext 9066) who wrote the article
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Hate we will lose the Balcony at Cattle Baron----loved sitting there watching all the activity at the Square----According to article will be glassed in------
Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 AM

I think that the children have lost the vision of their Father and Grandfather and now only see $,Katie'Belle's really did need work but I believe that this is the first step in shutting it down
Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

more seats = more money
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Really everyone? I wouldn't second guess what is being done. These folks have done a fabulous job thus far. I am so amazed with this place.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member

Most who have been here for many years have watched "many" transformations of Katie Belles / Cattle Baron. It has never been a money maker. Not even a break even.
I get upset when I see people staying all night for bands like Cactus Jack and they order a coke. Some even bring a bottle of water in their purse and don't spend a dime. They'll even stand so they don't have to pay the cover charge. They are usually the complainers and then say something like, we pay our amenity fees.
I will miss the way it was, but things change. The upstairs has always been one of our favorite spots in the Villages. I will miss that balcony.
I'm sure when it's done, it will be another awesome place in the Villages.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 AM

I saw that article too and was very disappointed. Katie Belles was established for residents and guests only and was very popular for their dancing. I too was concerned that there was no dance floor pictured. I don't understand the need for more commercial space as Spanish Springs has a lot of vacant commercial space already. Residents have already remarked that their is nothing like Katie Belles near any of the other town squares and now they're gonna make it smaller??? The image of "America's Friendliest Home town is rapidly disappearing.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
"resident-only club" in a retirement community located on the second floor ? Brilliant idea for those with walkers and wheelchairs.

My wife uses a walker. She has not had any difficulty getting to the second floor.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigger52 View Post
I saw that article too and was very disappointed. Katie Belles was established for residents and guests only and was very popular for their dancing. I too was concerned that there was no dance floor pictured. I don't understand the need for more commercial space as Spanish Springs has a lot of vacant commercial space already. Residents have already remarked that their is nothing like Katie Belles near any of the other town squares and now they're gonna make it smaller??? The image of "America's Friendliest Home town is rapidly disappearing.
Katie Belles wasn't established for residents only. That happened a years after it opened.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.