Multi-modal paths

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Gold member
Default Multi-modal paths

We have family visiting and our daughter and I decided to walk daily. Today we walked from Gilchrist to the Farmers Market in Brownwood. No need to run for a cardio workout. Dodging the Golf Carts was life threatening. Our heart rates were way up there. "Flight or Fright" !!!

It is surprising the stares we got as we were almost run over, again and again. Once we got to Brownwood alive, I called hubby to pick us up.

Please be prepared to "share the road". It's "multi-modal" not Golf Carts exclusively. There were far too many self centered Golf Cart drivers out there today. Scary stuff!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Gold member

I hope you were walking facing traffic, to many people walking with backs to traffic......very dangerous to walkers and cart drivers.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
We have family visiting and our daughter and I decided to walk daily. Today we walked from Gilchrist to the Farmers Market in Brownwood. No need to run for a cardio workout. Dodging the Golf Carts was life threatening. Our heart rates were way up there. "Flight or Fright" !!!

It is surprising the stares we got as we were almost run over, again and again. Once we got to Brownwood alive, I called hubby to pick us up.

Please be prepared to "share the road". It's "multi-modal" not Golf Carts exclusively. There were far too many self centered Golf Cart drivers out there today. Scary stuff!
dotti: This issue has been going on from the inception of this project. Many golf cart operators do not understand or perhaps care that the rules of the road apply. When approaching an obstruction pedestrian, vehicle in their path and facing an on coming vehicle the driver with the obstruction on his side has to stop...But they don't they try to squeeze by.
With pedestrians present golf cart should slow down but again they won't.

I often golf early and have learned that oncoming traffic cars/golf carts blind you with their lights. I also learned that pedestrian can disappear because of overlapping trees. shrubs etc or the angle of the cart path even those with reflectors.

So my advice is do yourself a favor and save your walk for daylight hours nd by all means avoid tunnels when you can.

My biggest complaint from day one here is that the developers made a big mistake of making these pathways multi-modal. They are an accident waiting to happen. Stay safe
Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

The problem is not that people walking are allowed on the MULTI MODAL PATHS, the problem is MIGHT DOESN'T MAKE RIGHT!. In fact IMHO we should all observe the be respectful to the SLOWEST mode and find the brake on our golf carts!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Gold member

They might be called "multi-modal" but the resulting reality is that they are golf cart streets.

We never walked in streets with vehicles going 20 mph before we got here, and here, I don't walk in vehicular traffic streets, either.

After walking facing traffic on multimodal paths and seeing how many times 2 oncoming carts meet with no space to go out and around a pedestrian, I walk on sidewalks and not in streets.

Not everything allowed is safe. Also, the pedestrians who walk with their back to oncoming traffic are inviting disaster for themselves and drivers.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
They might be called "multi-modal" but the resulting reality is that they are golf cart streets.

We never walked in streets with vehicles going 20 mph before we got here, and here, I don't walk in vehicular traffic streets, either.

After walking facing traffic on multimodal paths and seeing how many times 2 oncoming carts meet with no space to go out and around a pedestrian, I walk on sidewalks and not in streets.

Not everything allowed is safe. Also, the pedestrians who walk with their back to oncoming traffic are inviting disaster for themselves and drivers.
I agree. There are a bunch of "rules" and "should do's" but I am not going to be the injured/dead person that had the right of way.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

ten years of walking the multi modal paths everyday....2-3 miles.

For the most part, the majority, there is no problem sharing the road.
There have been times when a cart headed straight at me then swerving around to make their point.
There are some who absolutely cannot see untill they are on top of you.
And of course there are a very few who are texting.
There are some who definitely do not belong behind the wheel of anything.

Add them all up and they still are the minority incidents that happen on occasion...not every day.

The single biggest problem in my opinion is there are far too many that have never driven carts before and they think there are only two speeds....stop and pedal to the floor. They have no concept of or want to slow down.

When one walks here in TV the advice is the same for driving on the cart paths or the highway....defensively....

Common sense goes a long way to keeping one safe on the MMPs....let's not let the minority incidents tar most of us who do it right.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
ten years of walking the multi modal paths everyday....2-3 miles.

For the most part, the majority, there is no problem sharing the road.
There have been times when a cart headed straight at me then swerving around to make their point.
There are some who absolutely cannot see untill they are on top of you.
And of course there are a very few who are texting.
There are some who definitely do not belong behind the wheel of anything.

Add them all up and they still are the minority incidents that happen on occasion...not every day.

The single biggest problem in my opinion is there are far too many that have never driven carts before and they think there are only two speeds....stop and pedal to the floor. They have no concept of or want to slow down.

When one walks here in TV the advice is the same for driving on the cart paths or the highway....defensively....

Common sense goes a long way to keeping one safe on the MMPs....let's not let the minority incidents tar most of us who do it right.
You go for it. I'm staying on the sidewalks. Just my personal preference.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Sage
Default Multi-modal paths

Multi modal means just that - for use by many - carts, bikes, runners, walkers. I usually use a cart but I always slow down and wave or shout good day to walkers/runners. I was a runner for about 40 years. I'm still a little jealous when I pass one.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Multi modal means just that - for use by many - carts, bikes, runners, walkers. I usually use a cart but I always slow down and wave or shout good day to walkers/runners. I was a runner for about 40 years. I'm still a little jealous when I pass one.
I know what it means and YOU know what it means, but apparently there are a whole bunch of people who don't know what it means. I do not want to be flattened by one of them to prove a point. That is just me. You guys that want to prove a point and have the guts to do it . . . I say, go for it! In the meantime, when I am in a cart I will give them the right of way. And when I am not in a cart I will be on the sidewalk well away from them.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Gold member

Walk facing traffic, if side-by-side move to one behind the other when a cart approaches...wear clothing that is easily visible, be aware that most cart operators are ancient and have poor eyesight and lousy reflexes...if you walk as though others have to be aware of you then you might get nailed...

Strangely enough it's all common sense....some folks have ego issues and seem to dare a driver NOT to see and avoid them...some folks walk with no thought of their surroundings...

My wife and I walk the paths quite often and never, ever have issues...if you remain aware then only a person whose suffering a medical crisis is likely to hit you...that can happen anywhere(like when a person driving has a heart attack and drives into a restaurant...
Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
You go for it. I'm staying on the sidewalks. Just my personal preference.
I agree Wanda, you will be around here longer than some others.

Can anyone tell me why some people insist on walking on the paths in the street when there is a sidewalk available?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Gold member

We, of course, walked facing traffic. But I will never do it again.

Walking in the neighborhood streets is fine, so much safer. The thing that was so frightening today was the fact that once we were past Hillsborough, there were no options to get off the multi-modal path and onto a residential street.

A better plan would have been to go through Pinellas and Collier, but still you are faced with tunnels and areas where you cannot get off the path due to fences or tall landscaping up against the path.

On a week day it might have been safer, but I simply did not think it through and consider the heavy Cart traffic due to the Farmer's market. It was just so very unsafe.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

[QUOTE=NYGUY;989957]I agree Wanda, you will be around here longer than some others.

Can anyone tell me why some people insist on walking on the paths in the street when there is a sidewalk available?[/QUOTE

Right!
If and when and where there is one available. In the places where the MMP is there is usually not a sidewalk. We walk the paths because that is why they are there......your question MAY be appropriate for where ever a sidewalk is available!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I walk the neighborhood streets. Quieter and safer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.