Katie Bell's

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Angry Katie Bell's

Yesterday we took a guest to Katie Bell's for lunch. We arrived as they were
clearing up the buffet from breakfast. There were about 5 young people who were cleaning and getting the buffet silver servers ready for the next meal. We sat in amazement as they used terribly dirty rags to clean the buffet servers and used the same rags to "wipe the floors" and then continue to wipe down the insides of the buffet silver servers. It included the edges of the servers. It was a terrible exhibition of what was very unsanitary. As we
left I mentioned this to the person at the door and suggested he mention it to the Manager as it was terrible to watch as you were getting ready to eat one of the meals. We are not regular customers of Katie Bell's so don't have a lot of history.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
clearing up the buffet from breakfast. There were about 5 young people who were cleaning and getting the buffet silver servers ready for the next meal. We sat in amazement as they used terribly dirty rags to clean the buffet servers and used the same rags to "wipe the floors" and then continue to wipe down the insides of the buffet silver servers. It included the edges of the servers. It was a terrible exhibition of what was very unsanitary. As we
left I mentioned this to the person at the door and suggested he mention it to the Manager as it was terrible to watch as you were getting ready to eat one of the meals. We are not regular customers of Katie Bell's so don't have a lot of history.
Yucky...as the little ones would say. We were looking forward to eating there. Hopefully, you said something to the manager??????
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Boy Howdy.

Don't go there much but that is so awful to hear. Guess there is a lot of stuff that we probably don't know and don't ever want to know going on in public restaurants.

Love to eat "Chez Home". I know what the clean up staff is doing at all times.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Boy Howdy.

Don't go there much but that is so awful to hear. Guess there is a lot of stuff that we probably don't know and don't ever want to know going on in public restaurants.

Love to eat "Chez Home". I know what the clean up staff is doing at all times.
I think it's even worse in supermarkets. Once I was getting some cold cuts and the deli person was just finishing up cleaning the slicer. She was ready to slice my order without even changing her gloves. I mentioned it to her and walked away. I told the manager. I do the same in restaurants when my order isn't right. I will never send anything back to the kitchen.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Was your concern that they were cleaning up the mess "as it was terrible to watch as you were getting ready to eat one of the meals." I dont understand - when should they clean up the mess the buffet eater have made. Or was it the fact that they pre-cleaned the servers with dirty rags before they went to the kitchen for the real cleaning before being stored for the next buffet. Just wondering if you thought that was the finial cleaning ??? or trying to make it easier for the dish washer to do the finial cleaning
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Was your concern that they were cleaning up the mess "as it was terrible to watch as you were getting ready to eat one of the meals." I dont understand - when should they clean up the mess the buffet eater have made. Or was it the fact that they pre-cleaned the servers with dirty rags before they went to the kitchen for the real cleaning before being stored for the next buffet. Just wondering if you thought that was the finial cleaning ??? or trying to make it easier for the dish washer to do the finial cleaning
In my humble opinion, I think they painted a very clear picture of using dirty rags to wash down items that would hold or touch food and then used the same rags to wash the dirty floors and then back up to where the food would be placed. You don't cross contaminate. I got the picture loud and clear.

They are only trying to alert us.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I think it's even worse in supermarkets. Once I was getting some cold cuts and the deli person was just finishing up cleaning the slicer. She was ready to slice my order without even changing her gloves. I mentioned it to her and walked away. I told the manager. I do the same in restaurants when my order isn't right. I will never send anything back to the kitchen.

I agree with you. Once up here (not in The Villages) we were shopping very very early in the a.m.........while browsing the meats.....I spotted a package of black kielbasi in where the bratwurst, etc. was displayed.....in the regular meat aisle along with steaks, chicken, Italian sausage.

Once I saw the lady butcher, I brought it to her attention.....

She replied, "Oh, it must be a specialty item". I told her that I didn't think so as we knew what Polish kielbasi should look like and have never seen it black.

She went back and spoke to the head butcher at Price Chopper and came back with this story........."The meat is shipped packed in some sort of chemicals to keep it from turning from pink to black and this package must have sprung a leak"...........that didn't make me feel any better.

They removed it....but I kept thinking what if some really elderly person with bad eyesight came along and bought it. I don't think they'd care at all.

If you go really early at about 6 a.m.........the floors by the butcher's area are filthy and it can be mind boggling to see expired cheeses and such in their worst appearance........not to mention meat on its way out before the butcher has a chance to remove it..........who knows what they treat it with or what they then do with it.

I guess we will never know what goes on behind closed doors in restaurants or supermarkets.

Buffets in general can be iffy for one's health, if they keep the stuff longer than is necessary and just keep stirring it around.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Angry The Process

To be clear. They were cleaning them for the next buffet. They were cleaning them on the floor. They did not go to the kitchen for cleaning. Once they were done cleaning them with dirty rags, (also used to wipe the floor) they reset them up on tables for the next buffet and rolled the tables with these buffet servers back in the corner or another room for usage on the next buffet. It was apparently the "Final Cleaning" as they were set up on tables with clean table cloths with the napkins through the handles and on tablesfor the next buffet and the tables all set as they would be for a buffet.
Of course we could recognize if it was a "first touch" before the kitchen. My point is that the Management should be more observant as to cleaning of these silver buffet servers and good sanitary procedures.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Gold member

my pappy used to tell me 'stress kills'...........bingo starts in 30 minutes.....beats checking out resturant cleaning policies. if you think thats bad you should check out the galley on an airplane some time !!!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Gold member

If you haven't already told the manager, please call them and do so. Typically management doesn't see it and kids have NO clue. I remember when I was a young teenager dipping the floor mop into a sink full of dishes to wet it...ugh!! (mom didn't see it..looking back now makes me cringe!). If I owned a restaurant I would want to know. It's much easier to correct the cleaning crew than to explain to a court how all of the customers developed food born illnesses.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
To be clear. They were cleaning them for the next buffet. They were cleaning them on the floor. They did not go to the kitchen for cleaning. Once they were done cleaning them with dirty rags, (also used to wipe the floor) they reset them up on tables for the next buffet and rolled the tables with these buffet servers back in the corner or another room for usage on the next buffet. It was apparently the "Final Cleaning" as they were set up on tables with clean table cloths with the napkins through the handles and on tablesfor the next buffet and the tables all set as they would be for a buffet.
Of course we could recognize if it was a "first touch" before the kitchen. My point is that the Management should be more observant as to cleaning of these silver buffet servers and good sanitary procedures.
I emailed the original post to my husband who ran a successful business; his take on the matter below..........

Yes it is the management's fault for NOT PROPERLY TRAINING the staff.
Even if they were properly instructed, the manager should have told that person (On the spot) to go home for the NEXT TWO WEEKS.

Thus making an excellent example for the other workers, NOT to repeat such uncleanly habits.

Then the whole staff should have been pulled aside for a one minute lecture.
If the public could see what was happening, so could the management.

This person should send a letter to the manager, so that this is not repeated in the future.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
If you haven't already told the manager, please call them and do so. Typically management doesn't see it and kids have NO clue. I remember when I was a young teenager dipping the floor mop into a sink full of dishes to wet it...ugh!! (mom didn't see it..looking back now makes me cringe!). If I owned a restaurant I would want to know. It's much easier to correct the cleaning crew than to explain to a court how all of the customers developed food born illnesses.

Right on target re the food born illnesses and just unsanitary cleaning conditions.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Default Fix it

Quote:
To Report a Problem with...

Unsafe or unsanitary conditions

in a restaurant, caterer, or mobile food unit

Phone the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
at (850) 487-1395.
or
Visit Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation to report online.
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Environme...dinFlorida.htm
Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

....not to mention meat on its way out before the butcher has a chance to remove it..........who knows what they treat it with or what they then do with it.

I guess we will never know what goes on behind closed doors in restaurants or supermarkets.
I have a friend who has been in the supplier side of the grocery business for over 30 years. He says never buy meat that has been marinated, stuffed, or otherwise pre-prepared. He says that is where the expired meat ends up.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I have a friend who has been in the supplier side of the grocery business for over 30 years. He says never buy meat that has been marinated, stuffed, or otherwise pre-prepared. He says that is where the expired meat ends up.
Good to know.

I've always wondered about the marinated pork tenderloins and pre stuffed chickens. Some type of tenderizer with TONS of sodium are used on them.

Meat just does not seem to be what it used to be.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.