Key West Boat Shuttle from Ft. Myers Fl

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
Seems on the expensive side. The website quotes a roundtrip ticket at $147.00. OUCH. Many posters say that you should plan on an overnight in the Ft. Myers area cause the ferry leaves early. Hmmm. More money.

If you want to visit Key West, why not take a 3-4 day cruise out of Miami that stops at Key West. If you are considering the drive to Ft. Myers, then Miami is approx. 1 hour longer. Last year, my wife and I took a 4 day cruise on Royal's Majesty of the Seas to Nassau, Coco Cay (their private island), and then to Key West all for $149 per person. With port taxes and tips the total was approximately $500.

As I tease all my working friends, retirement is a fulltime job with no days off and we need to take a break and go on vacation once in a while
The way I read it, it is $119 Mon-Thurs 8 Days in advance.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Seems on the expensive side. The website quotes a roundtrip ticket at $147.00. OUCH. Many posters say that you should plan on an overnight in the Ft. Myers area cause the ferry leaves early. Hmmm. More money.

If you want to visit Key West, why not take a 3-4 day cruise out of Miami that stops at Key West. If you are considering the drive to Ft. Myers, then Miami is approx. 1 hour longer. Last year, my wife and I took a 4 day cruise on Royal's Majesty of the Seas to Nassau, Coco Cay (their private island), and then to Key West all for $149 per person. With port taxes and tips the total was approximately $500.

As I tease all my working friends, retirement is a fulltime job with no days off and we need to take a break and go on vacation once in a while

We went last year and got a special rate of $99 per person, round trip on the Key West Express. My husband wanted to drive down just to experience the trip.....10 hrs. I talked him into the ferry......4 hrs BUT a 4 hour trip to Ft Myers in addition. We stayed in Ft Myers Beach for the night, another $129 (Hampton Inn), stayed in Key west the next night for another $399 (definitely not luxurious for the price). We saw part of Key West but had to get the ferry back at 4 or 4:30. The trip back was rough.....lots of people sea sick and it was very crowded. In the end we figured we saved 2 hours but spent quite a lot of $$ for lodging and mediocre meals. I would drive the next time, if there is a next time, during the off season.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMayor View Post
The way I read it, it is $119 Mon-Thurs 8 Days in advance.
TVMayor - The way I read it, it is $147.00, Full Fare, Adult as I originally stated in my post!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
We went last year and got a special rate of $99 per person, round trip on the Key West Express. My husband wanted to drive down just to experience the trip.....10 hrs. I talked him into the ferry......4 hrs BUT a 4 hour trip to Ft Myers in addition. We stayed in Ft Myers Beach for the night, another $129 (Hampton Inn), stayed in Key west the next night for another $399 (definitely not luxurious for the price). We saw part of Key West but had to get the ferry back at 4 or 4:30. The trip back was rough.....lots of people sea sick and it was very crowded. In the end we figured we saved 2 hours but spent quite a lot of $$ for lodging and mediocre meals. I would drive the next time, if there is a next time, during the off season.
Sorry to hear of your experience Big Guy. That was what I was trying to convey in my post. The expenses seemed high when you have other alternatives to get to Key West and enjoy the island for the day. We had approximately 5-6 hours on the island while the Majesty was docked there to explore and sample the Rum Runners at Sloppy Joe's. Looking at your expenses, you paid more than me going on a 4 day cruise.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
TVMayor - The way I read it, it is $147.00, Full Fare, Adult as I originally stated in my post!

You are both CORRECT. It all depends upon when and how you buy the ticket(s).

If you walk up the day of departure and buy the ticket...$147 per person (Full Fare).

If you plan 8 days in advance and buy your ticket on the internet $119 (M-Th) ...Discounted Fare.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
You are both CORRECT. It all depends upon when and how you buy the ticket(s).

If you walk up the day of departure and buy the ticket...$147 per person (Full Fare).

If you plan 8 days in advance and buy your ticket on the internet $119 (M-Th) ...Discounted Fare.
We got our tickets around Christmas of 2012 for $99 each and could use them for a year. Sign up for their emails and, if you want to go, they will send you notice of their specials. At the time, $99 was their "senior" special but we should have gone on the 4 day cruise for what we spent.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Went in Jan. Trip over was beautiful. Two days later a cold front came in and water was really rough. Nearly everyone on ship got sea sick. I would not do it again.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.