Kids strapped in golf bag locations on cart.

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Think you get it. The state of Florida will let a child ride on the back of a 70 mph motorcycle with no helmet,and yes no seatbelts and people here do not see the problem.They see a silly golf cart going 15 mph and those kids in the back,who can probably run faster than the cart is going.let them be kids, and let them be grandparents.
You really were a teacher?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Think you get it. The state of Florida will let a child ride on the back of a 70 mph motorcycle with no helmet,and yes no seatbelts and people here do not see the problem.They see a silly golf cart going 15 mph and those kids in the back,who can probably run faster than the cart is going.let them be kids, and let them be grandparents.
I'm confused about the gist of your post. Are you for letting kids ride unbelted the back of golf carts or not?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I think I must have misunderstood your comment. You're not saying that this is acceptable because kids will be kids...are you? I misunderstood right?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNaughton View Post
Reading this about the kids riding on the back of the cart reminds me of the times while growing up in the Bronx we use to hitch a ride on the back of a bus. You got on the back bumper and held on for dear life. In the winter when it snowed we then hitched a ride on the back of a car while riding on your sled. Who didn't ride in the back of a pick up truck, or on the running board of the old man's car. Have fun kids you only live once.
Maybe so, but your parents weren't behind you egging you on to have such dangerous fun. You were risking your own neck, not with the encouragement of your parents or grandparents. There's a time when you grow up and stop thinking you are immortal. We all took chances as kids. We get past that an- don't condone or produce that chance taking on our kids or grandkids. Geeze.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
That doesn't say much for the state of Florida.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yeah. Right. And let a car/truck driver live with it on his conscience for the rest of his life the sight of a child maimed and killed by his driving and doing nothing risky.

And let the driver be sued for every penny he ever worked and saved for, and have it taken from him, because some dopey parents or grandparents want to be "pals" instead of being disciplined guardians of their kids.

Should kids be allowed to ride around in an open car trunk with their legs/feet dangling out and down over the bumper??? I don't think so.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You actually think a kid is going to run 15 mph? Do you have any idea the damage that will occur when a head collides with the pavement at that speed? Those kids don't stand a chance and you see no problem. That's bizarre.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold member
Cool Grandparents

Quote:
This post explains very clearly why the rest of us actually see grandparents allowing their grandchildren to do stupid things. kids will do enough dumb thing on their own as they grow up, they don't need grandparents help.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
This post explains very clearly why the rest of us actually see grandparents allowing their grandchildren to do stupid things. kids will do enough dumb thing on their own as they grow up, they don't need grandparents help.
Well said.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I agree with your post absolutely.

I completely understand the concept of not overprotecting. And many of us did survive a lot of dangerous things in our youth. (NOT me. I am a sissy) However...there are a lot of ways we can allow our children and grandchildren to learn to be independent and self reliant and they do not include allowing them to be unprotected in an area where we KNOW people do NOT show good driving habits.

New cart drivers who are seasoned drivers and adults find the cart paths challenging here and it takes quite a while to become familiar with how we get around this area and make the abrupt turns.

I am NOT an helicoptor parent or grandparent...and have been referred to as "the warden". Tough is how I would describe my role as mother as I was the one always present while their father was flying around the country making a living...., someone had to outwit the little devils and keep them alive so that when we got old they could support us..

But I'd be danged if I was gonna let them kill themselves on my watch.

I absolutely think that if we are gonna give them an opportunity to be successful adults we have to protect them from their young and often stupid behavior.

They have all thanked me and appear to still love me.

Believe me...I was a B.

Parenting takes GUTS.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You really were a teacher?
Yes,I was a teacher,and a very fine one also. I did not sugar-coat things as others will do. That is why I was so sucessful at my job.Did you mention you did some teaching,I believe you said something about sunday school.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Gold member

New rule children,no running on the trails or on the streets.You will get run over by cars and trucks.Make sure you were your helmet,elbow pads, knee pads.gloves. did I forget anything. Grandparents raising a generation of wimps.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree with your post absolutely.

I completely understand the concept of not overprotecting. And many of us did survive a lot of dangerous things in our youth. (NOT me. I am a sissy) However...there are a lot of ways we can allow our children and grandchildren to learn to be independent and self reliant and they do not include allowing them to be unprotected in an area where we KNOW people do NOT show good driving habits.

New cart drivers who are seasoned drivers and adults find the cart paths challenging here and it takes quite a while to become familiar with how we get around this area and make the abrupt turns.

I am NOT an helicoptor parent or grandparent...and have been referred to as "the warden". Tough is how I would describe my role as mother as I was the one always present while their father was flying around the country making a living...., someone had to outwit the little devils and keep them alive so that when we got old they could support us..

But I'd be danged if I was gonna let them kill themselves on my watch.

I absolutely think that if we are gonna give them an opportunity to be successful adults we have to protect them from their young and often stupid behavior.

They have all thanked me and appear to still love me.

Believe me...I was a B.

Parenting takes GUTS.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-04-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage

This is getting ugly and personal - let's play nice.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold member

There's a reason I have some people on my ignore list. I do occasionally read the posts of these people knowing they'll say something really, really, hmmm, what's a good word, let's try unique. I have yet to be disappointed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.