Kids strapped in golf bag locations on cart.

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Come on people lets be real about this....we all did things like ride bikes without helmets and many of us were in cars that had no seatbelts or the back of Pickup trucks. These vehicles went as fast as 10-100 mph. We had accidents, fell off of our bikes and dented our cars and we are here today talking about it. So there are risks about everything we do. Hell, u could trip on your own feet and kill yourself. Should we all be walking around with helmets and large rubber suits to protect us. This world has gotten to the point of let's criticize everyone if we don't like it. Let everyone make their own choice!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
I agree. Riding on & being around big, heavy farm equipment, some with PTOs running at 1000s of RPMs was a whole lot more dangerous than riding anywhere on a little golf cart. Unless you were born & raised there I guess most folks just don't have any idea what farm kids are routinely exposed to on a daily basis.
On a farm the parents taking such risks are not involving other responsible drivers who can run over the kids if they slip out/off the cart, or rear-end the cart in a sudden stop, mangling or killing the kids. It's one thing to take risks upon yourself and kids, but quite another to subject other drivers to those risks and consequences they'll have to live with all their lives, too.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

All of these posts have been thought provoking. There is truth in what everyone has said.

We can't help the levels of certain hormones we have floating around that makes us risk takers or wimps. Or attitudes, Or taught values. Or lifelong ways of dealing with things.

The bottom line is...the kids are here these few weeks during their spring break. Let's ALL be VERY careful for them and for us.

We DON'T want any horrible life changing event to happen because we weren't thinking or watching.

We want to continue arguing over whose grandchildren are the prettiest and best and most intelligent.

Oh. by the way. Mine are.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Sorry Gracie...you've never seen my grandkids!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM

True that the police can't arrest for stupidity, however, I would be in a heck of a lot of trouble if one of those kids fells off a cart and I crunched them with my tires!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
These vehicles went as fast as 10-100 mph. We had accidents, fell off of our bikes and dented our cars and we are here today talking about it.
Actually, we're NOT all here today talking about it.

When I was 15, my sister was killed in a car accident. (She was out with her boyfriend, "learning" to drive. They were both killed.) A year later I was in a large vehicle driven by a 16 year-old boy who didn't have his drivers license yet (his mother had given him the car for his 16th birthday). We hit a Karman Ghia which rolled over and killed two teenagers.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that can tell stories about kids that were killed in accidents. My point is that parents and grandparents play an essential role in keeping kids safe.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
True that the police can't arrest for stupidity, however, I would be in a heck of a lot of trouble if one of those kids fells off a cart and I crunched them with my tires!
Thats true...thats why Gracie's words are so true...be very observant when these children are visiting. If I saw someone doing what some of these folks have been seen doing....I would turn and go another route. No only do I not want to run over them, but I dont want to see anyone else hitting them either. if their parents and grandparents don't care, theirs not a darn thing that my input would accomplish. about the only thing I could do is yell "your an idiot"
Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Gold member
Cool Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
All one has to do is read thru all the postings regarding children standing on the back of a golf cart to find those probable grandparents willing to use poor judgement. Why are these grandparents so willing to make stupid choices and subject their grandchildren to such horrible possibilities. On second thought, perhaps that single word in my previous sentence explains it all.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Actually, we're NOT all here today talking about it.

When I was 15, my sister was killed in a car accident. (She was out with her boyfriend, "learning" to drive. They were both killed.) A year later I was in a large vehicle driven by a 16 year-old boy who didn't have his drivers license yet (his mother had given him the car for his 16th birthday). We hit a Karman Ghia which rolled over and killed two teenagers.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that can tell stories about kids that were killed in accidents. My point is that parents and grandparents play an essential role in keeping kids safe.
How sad that you had two accidents impact your life at such a young age. You are right, many of us can tell those tragic stories, I'm sorry that this post is here to remind you of those events.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Sage

Another disaster waiting to happen with kids strapped in the golf bag tray is lack of insurance coverage if they and the cart get rear-ended and crushed by another vehicle, or if they slip out and get heads split on pavement or run over.

I doubt a cart owner cart policy would cover personal injury or loss of life when the person is standing in it while in motion--not sitting--is not using a designated "seat", and is riding as a passenger in the cart in a way for which it's not intended.

If you google "passenger standing in golf cart in FL" you can see how many communities prohibit standing in a golf cart while in motion.

In the first place, none of the insurance companies will write golf cart coverage for a rental cart nor one provided by an owner of a rental home, and many of the carts being driven recklessly and doing crazy things like strapping them in the bag tray are rental carts or rental home ones.

This begs for endless lawsuits and ruination of lives financially as well as emotionally.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The bottom line for me is you have no right to take those kinds of chances with somebody else's children. You just have no right.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Sage

Not only do "they" put children on the back of carts!! Saw 4 adults in a cart today...two riding where they're supposed to be AND 2 adult men (laughing) standing on the back where the golf bags go. This was on the Morse Bridge late this afternoon.

What the poster said about liability....just use your imaginations of the "what if's folks"!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

In the first place, none of the insurance companies will write golf cart coverage for a rental cart nor one provided by an owner of a rental home, and many of the carts being driven recklessly and doing crazy things like strapping them in the bag tray are rental carts or rental home ones.

This begs for endless lawsuits and ruination of lives financially as well as emotionally.
How do you know they are renters?

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Cops can't arrest for stupidity. Think how busy the courts would be if they could.
Actually was thinking....cops could call it child endangerment based on the supposed ages. It really boils down to the "adults" in the equations thinking like adults.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Child endangerment: placing a child in a potentially harmful situation, either through negligence or misconduct.

Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm.

The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.

One of the most important elements in these charges is not that necessarily damage or injury happened, but that there was potential for substantial injury or damage to occur by the defendant's actions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.