Kilwin's Ice Cream Experience

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Being from CT, I know the Ice Cream Stands well. Yes, one in our town would open around Easter and was crowded all summer. You would order at the window and sit outside at picnic tables - what fun! Something to look forward to after the winter. It was as much a sign of spring and summer as the robins arriving!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

They closed coldstone near lowes, friendly's is closed the closest one is in Orlando and the Dairy Queen in wildwood is closed. Would love to see a Dairy Queen here. love Ollie's tastes like the frozen custard we had in Michigan. Don't care for the frozen yogurt places here to expensive. They charge by weight.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
They closed coldstone near lowes, friendly's is closed the closest one is in Orlando and the Dairy Queen in wildwood is closed. Would love to see a Dairy Queen here. love Ollie's tastes like the frozen custard we had in Michigan. Don't care for the frozen yogurt places here to expensive. They charge by weight.
We had 2 Dairy Queens, they are both closed now.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by delima2000 View Post
Don't care for the frozen yogurt places here to expensive. They charge by weight.
Yes, they do but with the choices you get it is a much more 'personal' taste than you get elsewhere. No, it's not high milk-fat ice cream (i.e. Kilwins) but it gets the job done for me. Costs me around $8 for my wife and I at Peachwave. (Did you notice they are opening their second TV location in the new Pinellas shopping center?)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Hi Five and Peachwave are frozen yogurt.
Ollie's is frozen custard.
Don't know if the stuff you get at McDonalds or Wendy's qualifies as ice cream or not.
The nearest Coldstone is in Ocala.
I agree Kilwins has really gone down hill.
So, yes, we could really use a good ice cream store.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Default Salted Carmel

Went to Kilwins twice for this flavor. Both times the container was in the case but empty. The girl said-our biggest seller. We expect a shipment next week. We wondered- why not order extra if you are always out?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geri317 View Post
I am from New England. In April, the ice cream stands opened and were busy, busy, busy till Fall set in. When I moved to Florida, I imagined there would be lots of ice cream stands open year round. Much to my dismay, there are basically no ice cream stands anywhere. Florida is missing out on a gold mine. We want ice cream!!!!
I'm also in New England. I think New England has the highest per capita consumption of ice cream in the US. The ice cream stands here are well known and often used as landmarks as in "go past Kimball Farms about a mile..." or "turn right at King Cone" or "if you pass Ericksons you've gone too far." Yummy stuff!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
Hi Five and Peachwave are frozen yogurt.
Ollie's is frozen custard.
Don't know if the stuff you get at McDonalds or Wendy's qualifies as ice cream or not.
The nearest Coldstone is in Ocala.
I agree Kilwins has really gone down hill.
So, yes, we could really use a good ice cream store.
I just learned of Mystic Ice Cream (32 flavors of homemade ice cream). It is on the eastern end of 466A, past the turnoff for Micro Racetrak RD.but not as far as the post office, in a little strip mall on the right going east They are open 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. every night.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

we need a rita's water ice. they have the best custard also. a philadelphia tradition!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM

HighFive has fat free and lowfat frozen yogurt, frozen sorbet and frozen custard. Smoothies, shakes, malts...will make yogurt pies to order .
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Gold member

SannyTX, why did you have to mention Kimball Farms, used to go there alot !
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Funny. I went to Kilwin's for an after-massage hot fudge sundae last week and they were out of hot fudge!!! And warm carmel, from the looks of the container. Lots of empty ice cream containers; girl in front of me wanted rasperry sorbet and they had none. Obviously management is not paying attention. No salted caramel either and that was listed on the display as one of their top 10 choices. Settled for butter pecan!! Oh, well.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
SannyTX, why did you have to mention Kimball Farms, used to go there alot !
LOL! Kimball Farms is the best of the best!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
Funny. I went to Kilwin's for an after-massage hot fudge sundae last week and they were out of hot fudge!!! And warm carmel, from the looks of the container. Lots of empty ice cream containers; girl in front of me wanted rasperry sorbet and they had none. Obviously management is not paying attention. No salted caramel either and that was listed on the display as one of their top 10 choices. Settled for butter pecan!! Oh, well.
If they make their own..they're not making enough, and if they order it from a dairy then they are not ordering enough. And that's hardly the clerk's fault. Definately management is not managing.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Sage

We went into Kilwin's tonight (Friday 4/5) for some fudge. Only one female 18 YO clerk and about 30 unhappy customers. Kilwin's has been a business mainstay in Spanish Springs for many years - wonder why it is going downhill so fast?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.