Kitchen Design Questions

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Default Kitchen Design Questions

Coming mid-September for Design Team meeting. We bought a designer. We bought an Ivy but a TON of the designer models have the same basic layout.

Was wondering, for anyone who has recently been through the design process, what sort of options are available for the kitchen. Yes, I know there are different appliance packages and different cabinet faces...this is not what I'm talking about!

I went into one model home where there was a built-in trash cabinet (looked like a regular cabinet, but when you went to open it it slid out with a trash can)...
are you allowed to literally pick out how each cabinet in the kitchen will "function?" I know that some kitchen layouts already include differences like a wine rack and the placement of the pantry...

What about sinks? Can you get a "farmhouse" sink?

Has anyone done anything "cool" in their kitchen? I'm a pretty avid home cook and plan to continue this fattening hobby once we move there next year...but I know people often move down there (my mother-in-law for one) and only fix breakfast in their kitchens and eat out the rest of the time. I plan on still spending a LOT of time in my kitchen!

Any help/insight you can give would be appreciated!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Kitchens

We're building a Lantana and have our meeting in Nov.
My wife has similar questions. When we were on our LSV asked our sales gal specifically about the pull out trash and she said probably not. So unless someone got it for your model, you need to wait for the design team...

My wife also wants two tone cabinets. ie the cabinets unders the sink to be different from the ones on the wall. I told her to hold her breath... but she'll ask for it....

Good luck and congrats on building your new home!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM

We had our Design Team meeting 3 weeks ago for our Ivy. Their cabinet supplier offers only one configuration for each of the kitchen options; anything else would be after-contract.
We are doing our own granite, sink, faucets, backsplash, and most appliances. We thought the developers options mirrored the model homes and we are hoping to create something more unique.
Best of luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Gold member

The sliding trash/recycle bin can easily be added after you move in. Just remove the existing shelving and install the slides. You will also need to remove the door hinges as the door in this set up is attached to the moveable slide.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Eternal Member

I am not sure if this is still an option but we had a lazy susan cabinet installed in the corner between the sink and the stove in our Amarillo. Maybe there is a corner in your model that could accommodate a lazy susan cabinet.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

There are many add ons for your cabinets that will look great and cost less tan having the builder do it.

Take a look at trash ideas.

You name it it can be added.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:45 PM

There is a pullout trash bin standard on the Ivy model. If you look at the Ivy virtual tour on the TV website, it is located to the left of the dishwasher. To the right of the dishwasher is a narrow rack for standing cookie sheets, baking pans, and chopping boards.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM

My advice is to make a list of what you want, and ask your design consultant. If the answer is a "no" try asking a different way....communication is key. Also, if "no" then ask, what can I do to get that look or feature, and tell them what you are trying to achieve.
About a year ago, what you saw in the models is what you got; the flexibility may change again, but in February I met with my design consultant, had a whirlwind 3 days, and almost every single wish was granted.
If you want a farmhouse sink, do your homework, stick with the major brands, and get the style number and size measurements (including the size base cabinet required). You might get lucky. I was able to get an unusual shape kitchen sink, so I was delighted.

Other kitchen possibilities: staggering cabinet heights or going 42" uppers, replacing a cupboard cabinet with an upper wine rack, spice or wine cubbies, soft-close door closures (also available for drawers). Know if you want a phone jack in the kitchen, or not. You can locate your garbage disposal switch under the sink cabinet or above the counter. Your kitchen outlets can go on the wall or almost hidden in the counter backsplash horizontally above the countertop. If you have light cabinets/splashback make sure your outlets are cream or white, if you have dark cabinets/tile make sure they are black.

Again, do your homework, look at ALL the models ONLINE in all the home categories. This will take a while. Make good notes, so you can refer to them and then see the actual item in the particular model during your appointment.
The IVY is one of my favorite Designer homes. Depending on your lot, and how you are going to use each space, you may want to add, move, or omit a window from one of the 3 side bedrooms. Same with closets in these same areas. If I had bought the IVY I may have put a double window in the middle bedroom and omitted the closet, to use this as a den. So many possibilities.

My home finished in May and I love every inch of it, and am so glad I asked on a couple of items which turned from "no" to "yes"! It was a very positive design-build experience.
Karen
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Default Appliance 'Garage"

We had a small appliance 'garage' added in the corner of the counter. It really holds a lot of counter-top items while hiding them from sight; a real space saver

Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 AM

Sinks at Faucetdirect.com. Our contractor choked when he saw the prices. HE buys from them now.
The lazy susan is a cool idea but if a lid or a box slips off in the back, nightmare to get at and you rarely know it happened. Just a thought. somehow it seems like wasted space to me.the corner garage is cool and be certain the electric outlets are present and functioning up to code. i had a mixer cabinet made and it is amazing. mixer swings in and up, locks and has its own work platform. congrats and enjoy TV. Its amazing here.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Hi CalcT,
I am in just ahead of you, Sept 6th and am building a Lantana, so same basic layout sans the 4th BR. I plan to extend garage and lanai, add a birdcage, and have a big wish list! With the kitchen layout I have chosen, I have lost the space for the 1/2 bath, so am wondering if I can move the w/d to accommodate that. Most likely not, but I will ask away! I keep jotting things down and add them to an Excel spreadsheet I have started.
Anyways, I am in TV the 5th thru the 9th so if I can be of help, just holler!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 07-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Hotrodgirl: My fellow Gilchristian! We aren't there until the 14th...we have already decided on all our "structural" add-ons: we're adding a powder room behind a 3rd car garage, expanding lanai and master bedroom, adding a 3rd bathroom to the second bedroom...the other stuff I'm fretting over is just stuff that ultimately is not that big of a deal.

Good luck on your build...this will be the fourth new construction house we've built -- can't for the life of me figure out why it's supposed to take so long...
Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM

Interested in your options with the Ivy as we are seriously considering it for our lot in Sanibel. We do not have our design appointment until September 20. We should be in TV by September 15.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM

We had our meeting in June and we chose an Iris. We met with Mary and she kept saying, "what are you thinking" and worked with us. We added a towel rack in the walk in shower, hard to do with the tile up. Took out the medicine cabinet in both bathrooms (got credit), took out a window in the master bedroom (got credit). We added water/electic hook ups in Lanai and water for hose in back of house. We like lights in our ceiling fans so we had them add dimmers and light switches. Some of the kitchen cabinet's stuff we will add on our own once we live there for a while and be sure where we want everything. It is amazing, they started on the 26th of June and our house already has a roof and windows. BTW, make sure you ask to have pictures sent. Our sales person hires a photographer who sends us pictures every Monday.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

[QUOTE=CalcTeacher;521652]Hotrodgirl: My fellow Gilchristian! We aren't there until the 14th...we have already decided on all our "structural" add-ons: we're adding a powder room behind a 3rd car garage, expanding lanai and master bedroom, adding a 3rd bathroom to the second bedroom...the other stuff I'm fretting over is just stuff that ultimately is not that big of a deal.

I did not realize you could make so many changes! By second bedroom, I assume you mean the one in front? So where will the 3rd bath be in relation to that? I think that would be awesome. Like a Zinnia with an extra bedroom? Did you already ascertain that it can be done? Is it because of the 3rd c garage instead of the GC? I am confused! Can you please post about that? Thanx!

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.