Kitchen Island help

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 AM
Question Kitchen Island help

Has anyone moved or had a contractor move or remove their kitchen island? I have a Hawthorne model and the island isn't where I want it to be. I have to take 3 steps from the sink to get to it! Its well over the recommended distance for an island. However we cannot figure out how to move it and I don't want to pay a contractor to do a job that we can do ourselves.
Anyone?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
Has anyone moved or had a contractor move or remove their kitchen island? I have a Hawthorne model and the island isn't where I want it to be. I have to take 3 steps from the sink to get to it! Its well over the recommended distance for an island. However we cannot figure out how to move it and I don't want to pay a contractor to do a job that we can do ourselves.
Anyone?
Several things to consider. An island should have a minimum of 36" between the cabinets. Even more 42"+, between a stove and/or a dishwasher.

The other issue is relocating the electric receptacle(s), of which your island should include. If this is something you feel comfortable safely doing, you could move it yourself. Keeping in mind the space requirements listed above.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

One other item to consider is if the tile in under the island, if not, you will need to find matching tile and have that installed. As for the electrical power, if you are lucky and you only need to move the island a foot or so, you may be able to do this with an additional junction box inside the cabinet, if you are moving it away from the existing wiring, you may be into cutting into the floor to lay a new cable. I am not sure of the easiest way to check the tile, but my first try would be to carefully remove the molding at the base of the island and inspect the tile, you should be able to see if it goes up to the cabinet or under the cabinet. Home warranty will be able to tell you the tile and installer, and they can tell you if the tile can be matched, and my be able to tell you the typical installation for islands.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
One other item to consider is if the tile in under the island, if not, you will need to find matching tile and have that installed. As for the electrical power, if you are lucky and you only need to move the island a foot or so, you may be able to do this with an additional junction box inside the cabinet, if you are moving it away from the existing wiring, you may be into cutting into the floor to lay a new cable. I am not sure of the easiest way to check the tile, but my first try would be to carefully remove the molding at the base of the island and inspect the tile, you should be able to see if it goes up to the cabinet or under the cabinet. Home warranty will be able to tell you the tile and installer, and they can tell you if the tile can be matched, and my be able to tell you the typical installation for islands.
Thanks for the reply. We want to move it soon because I am putting in a new floor and i need it relocated before the flooring guys come. It is over 50 inches away from my sink and dishwasher! TOO MUCH!! My home is 20 years old (I am in Glenbrook) so i don't know who built it or anything. We took off the front piece but it still does't let me see how it is connected to the floor. Hubby can do any sort of electrical work. I just need to figure out how to get it disconnected from whatever is holding it securely to the floor.

By the way we are from upstate PA... right outside of Scranton. Just relocated here in October!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Several things to consider. An island should have a minimum of 36" between the cabinets. Even more 42"+, between a stove and/or a dishwasher.

The other issue is relocating the electric receptacle(s), of which your island should include. If this is something you feel comfortable safely doing, you could move it yourself. Keeping in mind the space requirements listed above.
we feel comfortable moving electric and there is a new floor coming. I need it movable ASAP. Cannot figure out how to disconnect it from its mooring.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
we feel comfortable moving electric and there is a new floor coming. I need it movable ASAP. Cannot figure out how to disconnect it from its mooring.
It's probably not attached at all to the floor. You may need to remove the flooring that abuts to the island.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:26 PM

it is firmly attached .... the flooring guy tells me that there may be a 2 by 4 bolted to the floor that the island is then attached to. I cannot see under it though
Old 01-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
it is firmly attached .... the flooring guy tells me that there may be a 2 by 4 bolted to the floor that the island is then attached to. I cannot see under it though
Sounds like you need a handyman. I would suggest Aloha Larry, 561-239-0797.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage

If you want to do it yourself, I think you need to remove the bottom panel inside the island to expose the cleats that are probably attached to the floor.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you want to do it yourself, I think you need to remove the bottom panel inside the island to expose the cleats that are probably attached to the floor.
Now that I understand your problem, I agree with this recommendation. Also, call home warranty and get the name and supplier of the cabinets, then call the supplier and see if you can get a replacement toe board. This way if you damage the board, you just install a new one. I guess the worst case would be if the island was glued in place. Removing the toe board and inspection with a flashlight should indicate how it is attached.

Tags
island, kitchen, move, contractor, distance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.