Koi Pond experience

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Default Koi Pond experience

I had a beautiful koi pond at my prior residence in a different state...unfortunately, it eventually became a decade long war against raccoons and other predators.

I am getting the koi bug again, but I am reluctant to enter the fray...Has anyone had success in The Villages with a koi pond?...I am even considering adding a bird cage extension to my lanai to house the pond...It might keep the herons and egrets out but I fear the raccoons can destroy and get around any screening I install.

Any success stories?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

I think you answered your own question.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 PM

Thank you, but I'm looking for success stories.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:07 PM

We purchased a pre-owned villa 9 years ago with a pond in the back. We promptly purchased some regular goldfish feeders who grew into beautiful fish we enjoyed watching. For 9 years we had no problem, then about 3 weeks ago, upon going outside, there were no fish in the pond. What had happened to them? A bit later, we noticed a white heron on the wall behind the house...and our question was answered. We do have two palm trees that shadow the pond so I'm sure that along with the wall has contributed to keeping the fish safe for years. We're going to purchase some new feeders and hope to have them for years to come.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
We purchased a pre-owned villa 9 years ago with a pond in the back. We promptly purchased some regular goldfish feeders who grew into beautiful fish we enjoyed watching. For 9 years we had no problem, then about 3 weeks ago, upon going outside, there were no fish in the pond. What had happened to them? A bit later, we noticed a white heron on the wall behind the house...and our question was answered. We do have two palm trees that shadow the pond so I'm sure that along with the wall has contributed to keeping the fish safe for years. We're going to purchase some new feeders and hope to have them for years to come.
Nine years...That's encouraging...Buy shubunkins---they are like miniature koi ....If I have a pond 2' deep with sloped edges, they may escape the birds ...It's the raccoons that I fear the most.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

We purchased home a few months ago and it came with a pond. Thought of purchasing some small fish but didnt want to be bothered feeding them.

Can fish live off the leaves that fall into the pond?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
We purchased home a few months ago and it came with a pond. Thought of purchasing some small fish but didnt want to be bothered feeding them.

Can fish live off the leaves that fall into the pond?
Koi live off the algae on the rocks, no need to feed Koi. Don't know about other fish.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Default Koi Pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by argos5usa View Post
I had a beautiful koi pond at my prior residence in a different state...unfortunately, it eventually became a decade long war against raccoons and other predators.

I am getting the koi bug again, but I am reluctant to enter the fray...Has anyone had success in The Villages with a koi pond?...I am even considering adding a bird cage extension to my lanai to house the pond...It might keep the herons and egrets out but I fear the raccoons can destroy and get around any screening I install.

Any success stories?
Have had a Koi Pond outdoors about 6-7 years. No major issues. Have only lost a couple Koi to herons... spring and fall is usually when that happens. And there are many products on the market to prevent same. Our pond was built with special hiding places for the fish to escape any threats. Only ever had one racoon attempt to get at fish, luckily I was on lanai that night and scared him off. No further problem with racoons. Touch of Paradise in Ocala is the company that built our pond and they are great to deal with and great resource for local information. They also do our maintenance 2 times/year. Other than adding bacteria 1x/wk, we don't have to do anything to the pond but enjoy the sound of the waterfalls and the sight of the Koi. Good luck to you and NO, I do not think that racoons getting into a birdcage would be an issue but we are in the northern end of TV where most of the "wildlife" has given up any attempts at invasion, lol.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the encouraging input...Touch of Paradise seems to be the best place to go.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:18 PM

I have a koi pond and would be happy to share experiences we have had.
Looking to meet other koi ponders in TV. If you would like to visit and see ours
and get info feel free to call.
Dennis Gavin
610-353-8890
Mallory Square
Old 06-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I think you answered your own question.
Trying to figure out how the OP answered their own question.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisgavin View Post
I have a koi pond and would be happy to share experiences we have had.
Looking to meet other koi ponders in TV. If you would like to visit and see ours
and get info feel free to call.
Dennis Gavin
610-353-8890
Mallory Square
We purchased our house a few months ago and it came with a pond. It is a small one with waterfall and recirculates. Can it be a koi pond?
Closed Thread

Tags
koi, pond, success, raccoons, adding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.