Labor loves building houses

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
I totally agree. I'm a recently retired RN. A Handyman pay in TV is better per hour than a registered nurse pay. Don't get it. And way higher than a teacher's pay. Don't get that either.

When I was on the floor working my arse off - with no 15 minute breaks, no 30 minute lunch, and never getting out on time ..... and wait ..... called names, spit on, urine thrown on me, elbow broken, no holidays spent with my family, and on and on it goes . . . I often wondered, "What the hell am I doing this for?" Society needs nurses, doctors, teachers, firemen and firewomen, and police officers - for sure. We should pay them accordingly. And if they are not doing their jobs accordingly, they should be fired - not protected. My rant is over.
It must be a regional thing. My wife is also a retired RN of 40 years. For at least the last 15 years of her career she was in the six figures and she only worked 35 hours per week. She got extra pay for her degree. Extra pay for any specific certification she held. Weekend differential, etc. That was in Washington state. I know she probably wouldn’t be making that kind of money here.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-02-2023, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,176 Times in 4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Good post. It is very SAD that (say) a plumber would make more money than a nurse or TEACHER. The US has been VERY backward about its priorities for years. One reason for that is that "the powers that be" have DECRIED that UNIONS "shall be NO MORE"! They fear UNIONS because UNIONS are about helping ordinary people get ahead. If these upper, uber elitists COULD do it, they would have already OUTSOURCED TEACHERS and NURSES to China.
Why is it sad that a plumber would make more than a teacher or nurse?

They may charge more per hours, but that includes their business expenses, insurance, etc... They don't TAKE HOME that hourly fee...

Do you have a clue how much it costs to outfit a truck/van for a plumber?

Have you ever called plumbers for an emergency visit when your house floods? When your toilets backs up into your house? How about when your gas furnace dies and you're freezing in your home?

A good plumber is worth what they charge...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
It must be a regional thing. My wife is also a retired RN of 40 years. For at least the last 15 years of her career she was in the six figures and she only worked 35 hours per week. She got extra pay for her degree. Extra pay for any specific certification she held. Weekend differential, etc. That was in Washington state. I know she probably wouldn’t be making that kind of money here.
That shows that Wa. the state is more progressive than Fl. Their schools probably rank higher than Fl. schools. And because of that more sophisticated employers and employees live there rather than in Florida. Their High School graduation rate is probably much higher than Florida's.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Why is it sad that a plumber would make more than a teacher or nurse?

They may charge more per hours, but that includes their business expenses, insurance, etc... They don't TAKE HOME that hourly fee...

Do you have a clue how much it costs to outfit a truck/van for a plumber?

Have you ever called plumbers for an emergency visit when your house floods? When your toilets backs up into your house? How about when your gas furnace dies and you're freezing in your home?

A good plumber is worth what they charge...
Not compared to a teacher. Societies can turn on the quality of their school system. No one cares to rank countries on how good their plumbers are. One thing for sure Is that Florida is going in the wrong direction. Soon Fl will be so desperate to hire teachers that plumbers will be accepted into the classroom.
.........This is an interesting side note about Education in Fl and plumbers in Fl. Both plumbers and Teachers apparently need financial support in Fl. FACT......Florida is # 1 in the US for application to The Affordable Care Act. (check it out, many want to hide that fact)

Last edited by jimjamuser; 02-03-2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add important information
Old 02-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
That shows that Wa. the state is more progressive than Fl. Their schools probably rank higher than Fl. schools. And because of that more sophisticated employers and employees live there rather than in Florida. Their High School graduation rate is probably much higher than Florida's.
KenSwing was comparing the pay in WA state to that of "JerseyGirl"... I wonder where "JerseyGirl" was working as a nurse... Oh, I don't know... Maybe NEW JERSEY? She certainly never mentioned FL in her post...

No one mentioned FL, except you.

You just had to get in your dig @ FL...

A "sophisticated" person would have been able to figure that out...

Maybe it's where you grew up that lacks sophistication... I hear NC is quite sophisticated...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-02-2023, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not compared to a teacher. Societies can turn on the quality of their school system. No one cares to rank countries on how good their plumbers are. One thing for sure Is that Florida is going in the wrong direction. Soon Fl will be so desperate to hire teachers that plumbers will be accepted into the classroom.
Yet you stay in FL... How Ponderous...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
working, draw, expenses, creating, labor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.