Labor loves building houses

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2023, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Help me out - where are some of the areas that you mention where the work force could live - just wondering.
One of the areas is Wildwood.

If you drive along Powell Road (Route 462) you will see a lot of new housing being built. Going west along 466A you will see Beaumont and Tradewinds with a lot of new housing.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:56 AM

Well said . Some people think they deserve to have others serve them for peanuts and then complain when there are labor shortages. Entitlement
Old 01-29-2023, 10:04 AM

Agree
Old 01-29-2023, 11:49 AM

Did u really count them or is another overstatement by Fox News
Old 01-29-2023, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
One of the areas is Wildwood.

If you drive along Powell Road (Route 462) you will see a lot of new housing being built. Going west along 466A you will see Beaumont and Tradewinds with a lot of new housing.
Go online and check out the prices… They start at $1395 a month plus utilities. You have to have first and last months rent, and a security deposit that amounts to one months rent. That's $4185 just to get into the place… Then you have to pay the rent. Now take into consideration what the average unskilled worker is getting. Somewhere between $10 an hour and $15 an hour is the norm. Assuming the high end at $15 an hour and 30 hours a week. That is $450 a week or $1800 a month. 77% of your gross income just went for the rent alone. I'm sure someone will then mention the tips to make up the difference. The original poster who believes that they shouldn't even be tipped and just shut up and serve him his pizza. Hopefully with that attitude "the help" will not serve him a complementary piece of chocolate pie. (movie goers know what I'm talking about)

Last edited by Vermilion Villager; 01-29-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:54 PM
Default New Family Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Correct
I do not mind the all ages. It will bring in more doctors, nurses etc, who could not live here before with their kids.

My only objection, is that they will crowd up our rec centers even more than they are now. In the Villages, I don' t believe they will say no to a Mom 30 yo and her child of 10 for cardio drumming.

Senior classes should be senior and the same in reverse. We do require a bit of specialization in our class due to restrictions.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post
I do not mind the all ages. It will bring in more doctors, nurses etc, who could not live here before with their kids.

My only objection, is that they will crowd up our rec centers even more than they are now. In the Villages, I don' t believe they will say no to a Mom 30 yo and her child of 10 for cardio drumming.

Senior classes should be senior and the same in reverse. We do require a bit of specialization in our class due to restrictions.
You need a Villages ID to use the rec centers. I didn't think these workers were able to get an ID.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conman5652@aol.com View Post
Did u really count them or is another overstatement by Fox News
"FOX News"! Everybody drink!

-Tom Petty
Old 01-29-2023, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,246 Times in 4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You need a Villages ID to use the rec centers. I didn't think these workers were able to get an ID.
Retiredguy is correct. They will not pay amenity fees nor be about to use the amenities...

The family housing TV is building will have their own pools, rec centers, etc...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-29-2023, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Retiredguy is correct. They will not pay amenity fees nor be about to use the amenities...

The family housing TV is building will have their own pools, rec centers, etc...
.....but what if their rec centers are "better"???
Old 01-29-2023, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
I've had security systems, stopped newspapers when away, and locked my doors for decades... My parents did the same when I was a child...

I't not an issue unique to TV...
Actually, 7 years ago most people could leave their doors open here in La,La Land and keys in golf carts. it is relatively recently that crime has caught up with the "Bubble" here. Parts of New Jersey and New York seem to have been high crime areas for maybe 4 generations.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Actually, 7 years ago most people could leave their doors open here in La,La Land and keys in golf carts. it is relatively recently that crime has caught up with the "Bubble" here. Parts of New Jersey and New York seem to have been high crime areas for maybe 4 generations.
Bah, we’ve seen crime here 7 years ago and prior to that. More people, more crime.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
REAL WAGES were at an ALL TIME HIGH until about 2 years ago...

And contrary to what you THINK, REAL wages have DROPPED in the past year, due to the RECENT massive inflation, which was extremely low just a few years back (1.4%, IIFC, vs 8.9% last Summer/Fall)...

And The VILLAGES isn't PROVIDING anything. They are building houses for sale to families. And exactly what jobs are the villages supplying at minimum wage (other than part time rec center and golf course jobs)?

And new sports? You mean like "rock climbing" and "roller blade obstacle courses"? AKA, "broken hip specials"? We get it, you hate golf, but your incessant bashing and false claims about the sport are getting tiresome...
The 1st sentence IS true, but misleading. Wages were high in terms of actual dollars. But, wages have been STAGNATE in terms of CONSTANT DOLLARS for at least the last 20 years. Constant dollars factor in inflation, which even back 2 years or more had been moving at about a 2% CLIP year over year. Constant dollars give a person the idea of what could have BEEN purchased say for 10 dollars in 1990 and how much LESS you can buy with $10 today.
.......In other words, money CHANGES VALUE over time. IN 1965 if I looked around I could buy a running (with some cosmetic problems) USED automobile for $600. I even purchased a 1981 station wagon AUDI with a slant FIVE engine in about 1995 for $600. Today $ 600 will barely buy you a nice new bicycle.
.........The reason I "bash" golf is that I don't consider it a sport - much like shooting pool. Pool is a skill not a sport. Golf is just played on a BIGGER green table. Which wastes good forest land, but I digress. I just find it humorous how SO MANY people in V Land go ALL ga,ga over GOLF. it's like follow the leader......you golf so I MUST FOLLOW AND golf. Golf has some small redeaming qualities. I have sometimes at twilight when no one is looking......taken out a 9 iron and a plastic ball and hit it around a park and ran after it. I have even used a real golf ball and hit some 9 iron shots on a nearby fairway.SSSHHHHUUUSSSHHHH don't DARE tell anyone, I don't want to ruin my reputation. Golf NEEDS people like me to balance out all the Ga, Ga men golfers, and all the Lady GA GA golfers. See how I got to the punch line. Anyone, anyone.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 01-29-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The 1st sentence IS true, but misleading. Wages were high in terms of actual dollars. But, wages have been STAGNATE in terms of CONSTANT DOLLARS for at least the last 20 years. Constant dollars factor in inflation, which even back 2 years or more had been moving at about a 2% CLIP year over year. Constant dollars give a person the idea of what could have BEEN purchased say for 10 dollars in 1990 and how much LESS you can buy with $10 today.
.......In other words, money CHANGES VALUE over time. IN 1965 if I looked around I could buy a running (with some cosmetic problems) USED automobile for $600. I even purchased a 1981 station wagon AUDI with a slant FIVE engine in about 1995 for $600. Today $ 600 will barely buy you a nice new bicycle.
Full-time loan officer in a bank in 1965 made less than $5,000 gross.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, all of those "gender studies" degrees will get them the BIG bucks, working at Starbucks...

But I'll agree on university staff wasting money... The administration costs for colleges have SKYROCKETED, with no effect on the quality of education...

"Between 2004 and 2014, the University only expanded the number of tenured or tenure-track faculty by 8 percent. During the same period, administrative faculty grew by a whopping 60 percent."

Administrative bloat, budget mismanagement explain UC’s falling global rankings - Daily Bruin

"During the 1980-1981 school year, public and private institutions spent $20.7 billion in total on instruction, and $13 billion on academic support, student services and institutional support combined, according to data from the National Center for Educational Statistics. By the 2014-2015 school year, total instructional costs had climbed to $148 billion, while the same grouping of administrative expenses had risen to $122.3 billion."

Bureaucrats And Buildings: The Case For Why College Is So Expensive
Yes, actually we agree on another something....strange they must be putting something in the water of La, La Land. University Admins are MILKING THE SYSTEM. And do we know WHY and WHEN ? Anyone, anyone? I the 1980s DE CEO Jack "the welcher" Welsh made a salary of $ 350 MILLION buckos, me bucko. And, the story continues, the University Presidents decided that if Jack "the jerk" could make THAT much money why can't they interc----- the system also? Then the US was off to the races with the GRAND GOAL of being the country with the biggest SALARY discrepancy between the upper 1% and the middle and lower class worker, SALARY SLAVES !!!!!
.........So here we now stand - Back in the US of A working our way to "back in the USSR oh, how happy we are"
Closed Thread

Tags
working, draw, expenses, creating, labor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.