Lady Lake commissioner changes vote on SS.

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2022, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You've been here longer than I.
This is not the place for research.
This place is 90% opinion, 10% fact.

Like my first post, jus waiting for the "he was bot" posters.........you did not disappoint.

When you first posted you new exactly the response and to me it is warranted.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

####
Old 05-17-2022, 03:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
… in this case they bought a Commissioner. In the case of Sumter County, they’re sending two commissioners to prison on a phone baloney felony charge. We might as well lay back and enjoy it.

Spanish Springs is being repurposed from a retail, dining, entertainment venue to neighborhood of rental apartments. The nearest houses being sold by the Developer are over 15 miles away. There is no need to provide entertainment that far away. Brownwood serves that purpose.The limited retail and dining base that survives won’t be able to continue to pay for the nightly entertainment.

Get used to it. The restaurants and retail that will have their parking taken away and will fail and be replaced with apartments. That’s the plan, Spanish Springs will be ‘repurposed’. The Developer will have a neat twist on what’s happening, so buy in, lay back and enjoy it! There’s nothing you can to stop it.
I keep hearing this same lament about lack of parking. I drove around there just last week and there is plenty of parking. People might have to walk their lazy butts a 3 or 4 blocks but it is there, just not on the square itself. Just like the other two squares, you have to walk a little way from the parking lot.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I keep hearing this same lament about lack of parking. I drove around there just last week and there is plenty of parking. People might have to walk their lazy butts a 3 or 4 blocks but it is there, just not on the square itself. Just like the other two squares, you have to walk a little way from the parking lot.
The developer is seeking 14 spots to be reserved for the apartment renters on Del Mar, a public street. They can reserve all they want in a parking lot.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Those who voted yes will have a job next year.. those who voted No will be looking for a new line of work. SS needs help, feels little unsettling in the evening, at least for us.
The start of 7 new apartments with 14 possible occupants will not return SS back to early 2000s, but hopefully change will help, a new movement for SS
Old 05-17-2022, 03:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

What real skin does Lady Lake have in Spanish Springs? No investment or owned assets. Perhaps they provide some services for which they are paid. The town centers such as Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing, Brownwood are developer investments. The developer is in a far better place than Lady Lake to know how to manage their assets. As time goes by and stores turn more towards internet sales, existing building assets need to be recycled to new uses. Apartments might bring some new life to the area. Will the Developer make some more money? Hopefully, if it keeps the assets in good shape and vibrant.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Interesting development: “I voted no at the last commission meeting because of the emotion in this place. It was a bad vote and I am not ashamed to admit it,” Freeman said at Monday’s meeting. He said the taxpayers of Lady Lake should not pay for a lawsuit that could potentially cost up to $500,000 “because of an argument with the Morse family.” He said the town, which was sued by The Villages last year, would have little to no chance of prevailing in the lawsuit.

“They have every right to build apartments,” said Freeman, a resident of Water Oak.
Except, they don't have every "right" to build apartments. It's not zoned residential. In order to build apartments they have to get an "exception." They don't have a "right" to an exception. If they have that right, then I'm gonna exercise my "right" to set up a solar-powered pup-tent in one of the public parking spaces on Main Street, and buy a porto-potty for the space next to it for my own personal use, and run my playlist on my boombox at full blast all day long (which I can do, since there's no daytime noise ordinance).
Old 05-17-2022, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
What real skin does Lady Lake have in Spanish Springs? No investment or owned assets. Perhaps they provide some services for which they are paid. The town centers such as Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing, Brownwood are developer investments. The developer is in a far better place than Lady Lake to know how to manage their assets. As time goes by and stores turn more towards internet sales, existing building assets need to be recycled to new uses. Apartments might bring some new life to the area. Will the Developer make some more money? Hopefully, if it keeps the assets in good shape and vibrant.
They have taxes as "real skin." Or loss thereof.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They have taxes as "real skin." Or loss thereof.
That is the problem when people think that "Taxes" are a town's skin. Taxes pay for services given. Real skin is investment. What would we think if the developer boarded up stores that remain vacant for lack of viable occupants. I think we all expect the towns to remain vibrant. Zoning laws can be changed as needs change. Perhaps the Developer is in a better position to evaluate current needs and trends than any of us.

Urban Aging is a problem especially in in a restrictive age community. When first built the people are at some given average age above 55. What interests those people changes over 10, 20, 30 years. Facilities much adapt also. We expect the Developer to accomodate us. Not likely to get much help from Lady Lake other than more embarassing icon images of old ladies, cane carrying icons on the Lady Lake roads.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
The developer is seeking 14 spots to be reserved for the apartment renters on Del Mar, a public street. They can reserve all they want in a parking lot.
And how does that change what I said about plenty of parking off the square? If it is truly a public street then I don't believe it is legal for the developer to reserve those spaces for apartment dwellers. Which leads me to believe that the street is private property.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:21 PM

All you whiny people probably would whine about the lawsuit loss and having to pay higher taxes. Town Commissioners should avoid lawsuits that expose their constituents to financial losses.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
All you whiny people probably would whine about the lawsuit loss and having to pay higher taxes. Town Commissioners should avoid lawsuits that expose their constituents to financial losses.
So they should roll over and let people do anything they want?
Old 05-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You've been here longer than I.
This is not the place for research.
This place is 90% opinion, 10% fact.

Like my first post, jus waiting for the "he was bot" posters.........you did not disappoint.

On the 90% I think you spelled horse$#!t wrong
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Except, they don't have every "right" to build apartments. It's not zoned residential. In order to build apartments they have to get an "exception." They don't have a "right" to an exception. If they have that right, then I'm gonna exercise my "right" to set up a solar-powered pup-tent in one of the public parking spaces on Main Street, and buy a porto-potty for the space next to it for my own personal use, and run my playlist on my boombox at full blast all day long (which I can do, since there's no daytime noise ordinance).
What kind of tunes are we talking about on your playlist? Color me curious
Old 05-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Interesting development: “I voted no at the last commission meeting because of the emotion in this place. It was a bad vote and I am not ashamed to admit it,” Freeman said at Monday’s meeting. He said the taxpayers of Lady Lake should not pay for a lawsuit that could potentially cost up to $500,000 “because of an argument with the Morse family.” He said the town, which was sued by The Villages last year, would have little to no chance of prevailing in the lawsuit.

“They have every right to build apartments,” said Freeman, a resident of Water Oak.
So that was the pivotal vote that flipped? Help us out here please / so the damn thing passed now?
Closed Thread

Tags
meeting, freeman, lady, lake, vote

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.