A lamb for a pet

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Gold member
Default A lamb for a pet

Does anyone have information whether or not a resident can have a pygmy goat or pygmy lamb as a pet.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Eternal Member

Ehh, that would come under the livestock restriction in The Villages.

I can just imagine the posts on TOTV about goat and sheep poop!

I volunteered at the National Zoo in Washington DC and one of my "jobs" was to walk a goat around the zoo and talk to visitors. Let me tell you that goats have a mind of their own about where to walk!

The zoo also had 2 San Clemente Island goats which are now extinct in the wild. There are an estimated 500 of these goats left in the world in zoos and in breeding programs.

Google them to find out the reason. Very interesting reading.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

It may be a baaaaad idea.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Guess you could always claim it is an emotional support animal. If you're nuts enough to want one, you could probably qualify.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Guess you could always claim it is an emotional support animal. If you're nuts enough to want one, you could probably qualify.
Good one!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Gold member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Good one!
Why has it become so difficult on TOTV to get a rational answer to a rational question. When fully grown, both of these animals are the size of a very small dog. They are as trainable as any dog. I would like to put aside what some think as humor and get a serious answer. Non serious replies are of no value to me. If someone has knowledge about having these animals as pets in the Village please share with me what you know.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Ehh, that would come under the livestock restriction in The Villages.

I can just imagine the posts on TOTV about goat and sheep poop!

I volunteered at the National Zoo in Washington DC and one of my "jobs" was to walk a goat around the zoo and talk to visitors. Let me tell you that goats have a mind of their own about where to walk!

The zoo also had 2 San Clemente Island goats which are now extinct in the wild. There are an estimated 500 of these goats left in the world in zoos and in breeding programs.

Google them to find out the reason. Very interesting reading.
I would have enjoyed that job...
Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Why has it become so difficult on TOTV to get a rational answer to a rational question. When fully grown, both of these animals are the size of a very small dog. They are as trainable as any dog. I would like to put aside what some think as humor and get a serious answer. Non serious replies are of no value to me. If someone has knowledge about having these animals as pets in the Village please share with me what you know.
The way they graze (tearing grass out by the roots, or biting it off very close to the root line) can destroy the grass, leaving bare ground, and mud yard.

Where would it graze?

Sheep and goats as pets
Old 03-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Does anyone have information whether or not a resident can have a pygmy goat or pygmy lamb as a pet.
Ewe have goat to be kidding.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I am far from an authority on pets in The Villages. However, without referring to our actual rules, I know it states that an owner can have two pets.

I quickly read a few things about pygmy goats, and according to Wikipedia, pygmy goats are domestic animals.
They are not considered livestock.
I also read that there is a miniature version of the pygmy goat.
How cute would that be!!!

If logic plays into any of this, if they are domestic animals like dogs and cats, there shouldn't be a problem. Chances are, logic has nothing to do with it, though. Since I am not the last word, I think it advisable to check with someone with authority.

BTW -- if you do get one, please send me a PM and let me know. I would love to see it!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

According to the NPGA (National Pygmy Goat Association) they are considered livestock. You should have received a copy of the covenants when you closed on your house. Dollars to donuts there is something in there about livestock.

This is just a quick overview on what it takes to care
for your Pygmy Goats. As
with the purchase of any
pet we recommend you research your choice before
you buy.
Pygmy Goats are considered
livestock and are often
not allowed within city limits. Pygmy Goats require
protection from the weather and a safe place to romp
and play. A small 8 x 8 foot shed with an attached
20 x 20 foot pen is adequate for two goats. Goats are
extremely vulnerable to dog attacks and must never
be staked or tied out; even horns are not adequate
defense against dogs.
Pygmy Goats need good quality hay, fresh water, a
loose mineral supplement formulated for goats and
may also need a grain feed formulated for goats,
especially if young and growing or raising kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I am far from an authority on pets in The Villages. However, without referring to our actual rules, I know it states that an owner can have two pets.

I quickly read a few things about pygmy goats, and according to Wikipedia, pygmy goats are domestic animals.
They are not considered livestock.
I also read that there is a miniature version of the pygmy goat.
How cute would that be!!!

If logic plays into any of this, if they are domestic animals like dogs and cats, there shouldn't be a problem. Chances are, logic has nothing to do with it, though. Since I am not the last word, I think it advisable to check with someone with authority.

BTW -- if you do get one, please send me a PM and let me know. I would love to see it!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I just had to look up pygmy goats.

According to the article I am linking here, Great Britain's Pygmy Goat Club says, "Pygmy goats should not be kept as house pets."

I don't know where someone in TV would keep a pygmy goat. They are classified as livestock. Sounds like they are supposed to live outside and have a little shed, at least, and a companion animal. Trying to do that in TV wouldn't be fair to the neighbors -- or to the goat.

Anyway, here is a short article about keeping a goat as a pet. Even though it seems to be discussing goats in general, it does mention pygmy goats. Same creature. Different size.

---I am not trying to get your goat, Warren. But this really does not sound like a good plan. I do not like to see people choose any kind of pet on a whim. But a goat in TV would be a real kicker.

Here are a few things to think about maybe.

Can a Goat Be Housebroken? | Animals - PawNation

You're welcome,
Reference Desk Laurie
Old 03-07-2015, 01:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
According to the NPGA (National Pygmy Goat Association) they are considered livestock. You should have received a copy of the covenants when you closed on your house. Dollars to donuts there is something in there about livestock.

This is just a quick overview on what it takes to care
for your Pygmy Goats. As
with the purchase of any
pet we recommend you research your choice before
you buy.
Pygmy Goats are considered
livestock and are often
not allowed within city limits. Pygmy Goats require
protection from the weather and a safe place to romp
and play. A small 8 x 8 foot shed with an attached
20 x 20 foot pen is adequate for two goats. Goats are
extremely vulnerable to dog attacks and must never
be staked or tied out; even horns are not adequate
defense against dogs.
Pygmy Goats need good quality hay, fresh water, a
loose mineral supplement formulated for goats and
may also need a grain feed formulated for goats,
especially if young and growing or raising kids
[QUOTE=Laurie2;1024546]I just had to look up pygmy goats.

According to the article I am linking here, Great Britain's Pygmy Goat Club says, "Pygmy goats should not be kept as house pets."

I don't know where someone in TV would keep a pygmy goat. They are classified as livestock. Sounds like they are supposed to live outside and have a little shed, at least, and a companion animal. Trying to do that in TV wouldn't be fair to the neighbors -- or to the goat.

Anyway, here is a short article about keeping a goat as a pet. Even though it seems to be discussing goats in general, it does mention pygmy goats. Same creature. Different size.

---I am not trying to get your goat, Warren. But this really does not sound like a good plan. I do not like to see people choose any kind of pet on a whim. But a goat in TV would be a real kicker.

Here are a few things to think about maybe.

Can a Goat Be Housebroken? | Animals - PawNationQUOTE]

Wikiipedia did say that pygmy goats were domestic animals but I did not spend any real time researching the animal. However, someone who has more knowledge about these goats than I should make a correction on Wikipedia.

No matter what -- they sure are cute!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
My deed restrictions specify two domestic pets only. Otherwise I'd have a pony
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Sage

I have heard on good authority from someone who wanted one sheep to crop his grass (instead of mowing) that a single sheep will pine away and die of loneliness. They are definitely herd animals.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.