Laminate floors crackling

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Thanks for the update, never would have guessed that solution...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
Update - I got a call back from the manufacturer and they were very supportive. We sent a video of the crackling floor. They assured us it was normal and would contact the flooring company. The flooring company installers came today and as soon as they walked in prior to doing anything they said they knew what the problem was - sticky paint on the bottom of the molding. They removed some of the molding, sanded it again, and replaced it and lo and behold - no more squeaking.
So, we are happy campers - just wish contractors would just fix the problem rather than make excuses. Withholding a payment is not a pleasant experience for us.
Anyway, thank you all for your support - and suggestions.

If an oil based paint were used on the trim, it would not have remained "sticky" . Trim paint should always be oil based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 PM

Just reread my last post - the manufacturer assured us that the crackling WAS NOT normal! Sorry if I confused anyone.
It was latex paint as requested by the installers. We think they rushed the job at the end - they let the paint dry for less than 30 minutes. My husband questioned them about the drying time and they said it was normal.
We are concerned about having problems once the air is off (probably not until November) and it is a little more humid in the house. Hopefully we won't have any problems.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
Just reread my last post - the manufacturer assured us that the crackling WAS NOT normal! Sorry if I confused anyone.

It was latex paint as requested by the installers. We think they rushed the job at the end - they let the paint dry for less than 30 minutes. My husband questioned them about the drying time and they said it was normal.

We are concerned about having problems once the air is off (probably not until November) and it is a little more humid in the house. Hopefully we won't have any problems.

Latex paint on wood will remain tacky forever. Especially on a slab floor in a high humidity environment .

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Latex paint on wood will remain tacky forever. Especially on a slab floor in a high humidity environment .

What???? I've used nothing but latex on numerous cabinets, mouldings (both base, crown and quarter round) for years, and have never had a problem. First I've ever heard of your experience.

Last edited by photo1902; 08-19-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

There have been about two neighbors of mine that this happened to. It was a manufactured defect in the flooring. Their floors were replaced
Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
If an oil based paint were used on the trim, it would not have remained "sticky" . Trim paint should always be oil based.

As the Painter who started Investment Painting 51 years ago I must Disagree. When the Federal Government started phasing out most solvent based paints around 25 yrs ago Sherwin Williams and other manufactures developed various WATER BASED ENAMELS. Not to be confused with LATEX which is a brand name such as KLEENEX. PRO CLASSIC WATER BASED ENAMEL is used on most of the trim in the Villages. The installers in the case of the flooring rushed the drying time. Water based paint will not remain sticky if properly applied. LEN The retired half of Investment Painting.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Gold member
Default For what it is worth

Quote:

I too like oil based paint but, it has mostly been taken off the market due to ????? EPA regulations. I think you can still find RUSTOLEUM but it is a high oil paint-which never gets hard.

My experience-solvent based varnish is gone from the stores. The water based, latex stuff they sell does not flatten like oil based varnish and will surely raise the grain on unfinished wood. You can still buy marine varnish at like
$20-$30 a qt.
Closed Thread

Tags
laminate, places, baseboards, normal, floors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.