Lanai/Birdcage screen type you recommend.

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2021, 09:51 AM
Default Lanai/Birdcage screen type you recommend.

Can anyone recommend the type of screen you have had installed. There is the regular window screen that gnats and no-no bugs can get through. There is the denser no-no bug screen that costs more. Is the denser screen much more in cost and does it really keep the tiny flying bugs out? I know that some bugs still get under the base structure of the birdcage. I was originally going to get the the thicker sun-screen for the roof of the birdcage but heard that can sag over time.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:47 AM

We are having a bird cage installed over the concrete slab that came with the house (10x20).

We opted for the thicker screen on the roof. Will it sag, maybe.

We had 5 different quotes and asked for the thicker screen on the the top. None of the companies reported this to be a future problem. But, almost all stated that they would have to beef-up the structure a little due to the less porosity of the screen (less air and water going through the screen). They also stated that if we ever want to cover it with canvas, they need to know during the build so that they could substantially beef-up the structure.

We are new here and from talking to people, if you don't have something over the birdcage (or an umbrella under it) people said that you will hardly ever use the space during the hot months.

When we moved here, I brought a 10' folding ladder with me. If it happens, I'll shimmy up and re-spline. I still have another decade or more of DIY in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
Can anyone recommend the type of screen you have had installed. There is the regular window screen that gnats and no-no bugs can get through. There is the denser no-no bug screen that costs more. Is the denser screen much more in cost and does it really keep the tiny flying bugs out? I know that some bugs still get under the base structure of the birdcage. I was originally going to get the the thicker sun-screen for the roof of the birdcage but heard that can sag over time.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

We had the more tightly woven 20/20 screen installed when we built. It does indeed keep all the bugs out. Even the noseeums.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-28-2021, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

We have standard screen for most of the bird cage, with 50% sun reduction in the roof area, and pet screen in the lower 18 inches for the protection of our cat.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

We have pet screen the entire height of our sidewalls, and standard screen on top. Our cats (20lb Maine Coons) will climb a lot higher than 18" if a gecko is running up the screen

We have a canvas covering over 3/4 of our cage - ~1,000 sq ft. The installer did not have to "beef up" our frame to accommodate the canvas. If an installer is talking about having to increase the integrity of the frame, I'm guessing they were designing for minimum load to begin with, which would have me concerned.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

SOLAR SCREEN…. Please read about! It’s not just darker screen…
Closed Thread

Tags
screen, bugs, denser, no-no, birdcage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.