Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Default Re: Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

We just recently had our lanai enclosed with acrylic sliding panels and are very pleased. Custom Windows did ours and we use the lanai as a den. My size was 11 X 15 and the price was just over $3600. The company came out and took the measurements and came back about three weeks later with the panels. Installation took about 1/2 day. Prices vary with exactly what you want. Mine are full length panels that slide in channels so that when opened, you could have four panels sliding behind each other to allow lots of air. They do have a spacer band about 24in. up from the bottom for stability. It looks good and is very stable and rigid.
We are very happy and consider this one of our best changes to our home.
Merry Christmas to all!!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but doesn't the acrylic get kind of discolored after a time. We had an acrylic enclosure put on our pontoon boat and after about 5 years you could hardly see through it is was so "cloudy". I am guessing that the material used on lanai's is different. Hope I'm right. Obnce we sell our house and move to TV we will get either a Courtyard Villa or a Designer and will definitely want to enlose the lanai. I love pre-planning Makies it all seem real and certain to happen. Merry Christmas to all.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

I would think in addition to salt air, how you clean acrylic would make a difference too. For one thing, any thing with ammonia, like Windex would over time make acrylic cloudy. All of the banks in the NYC metro area have clear acrylic dividers and they don't seem to discolor or cloud up. But you have to wonder why the price difference between acrylic and glass. Is it because there's little or no competition? They may be using tinted safety glass but it's probably not insulated. Must be in the fabrication process. Acrylic can be cut to size locally, whereas glass must be ordered and there's no room for error.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Default Lania Enclosures

We are thinking of enclosing our lania and would be interested on what companies would be recommended for such work with sliding double glazed glass tinted windows in a Aluminium or uPVC frames.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager99 View Post
i've left mine just screened as i like the open feel. i turn on the ceiling fan in summer and don a sweat shirt in winter. so i can use it year round.
Me, too.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
When we decided to enclose the lanai, I was informed by the builder that glass windows would involve a new assessment, since it is "officially" a new room. Using acrylic does not change your assessment. We went with acrylic, and it is great - and we do have a new room!
I had a lanai and converted it into a Florida room with glass windows. We don't pay more because this is not considered a room because you have to take a step down to get into the room. From what I understand that makes it so that it is not considered another room. We also installed a wall air conditioner/heater which we love as it provides cooling in the summer and heat in the winter. I now consider this another room but the property assessment people don't.

From what I understand in the past when you put glass windows in it was considered another room but that is no longer the case.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I had a lanai and converted it into a Florida room with glass windows. We don't pay more because this is not considered a room because you have to take a step down to get into the room. From what I understand that makes it so that it is not considered another room. We also installed a wall air conditioner/heater which we love as it provides cooling in the summer and heat in the winter. I now consider this another room but the property assessment people don't.

From what I understand in the past when you put glass windows in it was considered another room but that is no longer the case.

John
I too was told that bringing the floor up to level with the rest of the house AND running HVAC ductwork to the room would cause it to be considered as a Florida Room and additional square footage to the home for tax purposes, regardless of the type of windows.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Sage
Question

I can't wait to get there so I can sit outside and breath the fresh air.... It appears that everyone is enclosing theirs in.... Huh????
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Sage

We love our screened lanai and have no desire to enclose it. It is southeast facing, so we don't get afternoon sun. It's very comfortable with the fan on and I love it being "outdoors".

We have nice outdoor furniture with cloth upholstery. When we are gone for significant time, we bring the cushions inside. We have light see-through pull-down drapes that can protect from weather and block heat. I sweep it often and wash it twice a year. It's a breeze... so to speak.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post

John
The patio villa in Chatham that I rented earlier this month had the same kind of "step down" arrangement for the lanai. The lanai was air conditioned. Very pleasant to sit in in that room no matter what time of day it was. More than one person I spoke to told me that when I'm ready to buy, be on the lookout for homes that face north or east to avoid the hotter afternoon sun exposure.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-23-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
We love our screened lanai and have no desire to enclose it. It is southeast facing, so we don't get afternoon sun. It's very comfortable with the fan on and I love it being "outdoors".

We have nice outdoor furniture with cloth upholstery. When we are gone for significant time, we bring the cushions inside. We have light see-through pull-down drapes that can protect from weather and block heat. I sweep it often and wash it twice a year. It's a breeze... so to speak.
I would have completely agreed with you on this a week ago P. We had a screen porch on our home in Cincinnati and had one on our home in Hadley. Now that we are renting, this home has an enclosed lanai and we are out here constantly, in fact this is where the computer is. We have changed our mind and are seriously thinking of enclosing the lanai on our new house being built. Maybe adding a small birdcage. We will live in it awhile and see.

This room is filled with windows and also has it's own air conditioning unit. It is very comfortable in this awful heat and would be useable in the cold part of the year too. You can put "real" furniture on it and, as I said, I am completly surprised how much I like it. Sweetie and Helene do as well. I loved the outdoor feel of the screened porch/lanai and I love this too...........

Something to think about.

Lovely choices here.

Hurry down P.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 AM

We are currently enclosing our lanai and converting it into a year round room.
We had the floor raised, wall installed with block window.Large glass low E windows across the front that open to the sides to allow good air flow, on the other side, ceiling to floor triple sliding glass doors that stack, also to allow for air flow. HVAC system in place now with separate control from main house, so we can use it when necessary. The floor will be tiled to match the house and cabinetry to be installed as well as bar sink and under counter fridge. Dan Watson at T&D is doing the job, we could not be happier with their professionalism.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We absolutely love our enclosed lanai with low E dual pane windows. Not only did we enclose it but we raised the floor, took OUT the sliding glass doors and arched the new entrance way, extended the existing AC/Heat directly to the main heat/Cooling system in the garage, added drywall, title floors, crown moulding to match. While we were at it we addded an attached "hobby" room off the lanai that also leads into the master bedroom.

Let me tell you we rarely used the lanai in the past, always dirty, wet, hot in summer or cold (chilly) in winter. Now we use it every day and its amazing how a good contractor can bring it all together,

Regarding taxes, the small amout of addiitonal RE tax that may occur by making this room more liveable is well worth the price. You are already pay RE tax on a screened in lanai, so the additional amount you pay after its enclosed is miniscual comapred to the comfort and enjoyment you get everyday...well worth it.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold member

Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
The patio villa in Chatham that I rented earlier this month had the same kind of "step down" arrangement for the lanai. The lanai was air conditioned. Very pleasant to sit in in that room no matter what time of day it was. More than one person I spoke to told me that when I'm ready to buy, be on the lookout for homes that face north or east to avoid the hotter afternoon sun exposure.

You mean... The lanai... right? Not the house. My Lanai will face northeast.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.