Lanai - enclosed? Open? Screened?

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
By replacing them with pocket sliders we have full 12 and 6 foot openings and it really allows the rooms to flow together as one ... or to be closed off from each other when wanted.
Thank you for your reply ... we have a Lantana with the standard sliders and I prefer the pocket sliders for the reasons you state ... I did not realize that you could change them without major reconstruction (the pocket) ... I would be interested in knowing how big a project it was, who did it for you and the approximate cost ... PM if you prefer ... THANKS!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Sage

I have a similar interest as JohnM ... anything you can share on cost, vendor, etc for the project you did on the Lantana would be appreciated, NJBlue.

Our lanai faces NE so it's a little chilly in the winter months. We put a birdcage extension around it. I've been wrestling with the idea of putting in pocket sliders in the "under roof" part of the lanai to keep it warmer in winter without frying in the summer. Will all that glass (even when opened) cause it to be hotter in the summer? I wasn't really thinking of adding A/C ... we really like the open air feeling but want to be able to keep out the wind and trap the sun in winter without diminishing our open air use in summer.

Thanks for sharing info on your project...sounds intriguing.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I would imagine a key factor in a change from regular sliding glass doors to pocket sliders would be the size of the lanai itself for this change would take up inches (depth) and wall space (sides) in the lanai. A 12 ft deep lanai would not have a big problem but if you only have a 9 or 10ft lanai (or smaller) it may depending upon the size of your furniture.

Pocket sliders on the right lanai really make this space more liveable.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Thank you for your reply ... we have a Lantana with the standard sliders and I prefer the pocket sliders for the reasons you state ... I did not realize that you could change them without major reconstruction (the pocket) ... I would be interested in knowing how big a project it was, who did it for you and the approximate cost ... PM if you prefer ... THANKS!
I too thought that it would be major construction, but, in reality, just doing pocket sliders is not a huge thing. Our ultimate project turned out to be huge (based on my definition of huge) since we completely tore down the existing lanai and then rebuilt it (to get the higher ceilings which we wanted - to create the sense of volume). However, we went through many design iterations before we did what we did and priced out many options.

One of these individually-priced options was the removal of the existing sliders and replacement with the pocket doors. I don't recall the exact numbers that were quoted by the various contractors, but it seems like it was in the ballpark of $3,000. What it entails is the removal of the existing doors and then the construction of a new wall just outside the existing wall to accept the new doors. The old support structure for the opening (the lintels) remains in place, so the new wall is not load bearing and hence not that expensive or complicated to do.

As what was pointed out, you do lose approx. 6-8 inches of floor space for the new wall, so that needs to be considered. (We added another 7 feet to the depth of our lanai, so it wasn't an issue.) Another issue is the patching of the existing flooring where the old doors are removed (You do "gain" the extra inches in the house where the doors are removed). Since dye lots in flooring can vary, there may not be a perfect match and you should think about this before proceeding. In our case it worked out great.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Very informative ... THANKS!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Smile Enclosed lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandt View Post
We love having acrylic (not glass!) with which we can totally close the lanai, but also keep the option of having it very open. We have a bird cage outside that, so we're still screened.

It really seems the best of both worlds.
Why do you like acrylic over glass. I know glass is probably more expensive but it doesn't get that wavey look, will not scratch and if doubled paned can insulate better
Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Once you enclose the lania with windows, doesn't it become a room? Kinda defeats the purpose of having a lanai and being outside. I like the idea of just adding a bird cage and leaving the lanai open.

Anyone know how far from neighbor you need to keep your birdcage (Courtyard villa) and about what it cost?

aj
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Gold member

ajdeck,

I was told by my sales agent that you cannot build any structure closer than 10 ft from the property line in the back.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.