Lanai windows

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Did Custom Window tell you that single pane doors are only a Category II, they have basically no insulating value nor do they do much for sound proofing, however they are much cheaper than Impact resistant double pane panels used in Category III enclosures and that is what they are selling, price not quality. They will build you a Cat III enclosure but their price will shock you. Talk to them again and then have All Season stop in and explain their systems to you, quotes are free.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Did Custom Window tell you that single pane doors are only a Category II, they have basically no insulating value nor do they do much for sound proofing, however they are much cheaper than Impact resistant double pane panels used in Category III enclosures and that is what they are selling, price not quality. They will build you a Cat III enclosure but their price will shock you. Talk to them again and then have All Season stop in and explain their systems to you, quotes are free.
Thanks. Great suggestion
Old 07-26-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default All seasons

Quote:
All Season is a smaller family company, they do their own work and don't hire out crews. They have been doing quite a few south of 44 and have a lot of references both north and south of 44. We chose MI bronze aluminum double pane sliding glass doors with all stainless steel screws and rollers, the glass is high performance Low E + Argon. We went with MI as they were the only manufacturer that provided a transferrable lifetime warranty on the glass and All Season has a lifetime warranty on leaking. The lead time was 4 to 6 weeks when we ordered ours in May of this year. We have had some nasty rain lately and not a drop of water has entered our lanai. CVS told us 14 weeks also and they were much higher in price, Custom Windows never showed up for their appointment nor did they call to cancel it so eliminated them right off the bat. They also told us at the showroom that they could not use sliding screens as our lanai is elevated, this was BS as All Season got the permits to do it that way and it passed inspection, maybe that is why the salesman never showed up for his appointment. I can't remember the other company that we talked with but they were hesitant in giving us what we wanted.
Thanks .. very helpful. Appreciate the detail
Old 07-26-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You can't just ask for a typical cost as there is no typical installation. Do you want windows, doors, combination of both, how many doors, etc. If you want high quality double pane argon sliding door panels with sliding screens rather than fixed screening with a lifetime warranty it will cost you between $15,000/$20,000 for your size lanai, that would include ceiling insulation and an exterior exit light, That is for a Cat III enclosure. We had bids from the 3 most talked about installers here and that is where we were. If you want only single pane glass that does nothing as far as insulating your room, all they will do is keep rain out, it will cheaper. If you want your floor level with the floor of your interior it is much more and you will then be adding the square footage of your interior so your taxes will go up. You have to get bids on exactly what you are looking for.
Thank You, but I was looking on spending as little as possible to build into a rental units. I never plan on living in these homes as they are flip homes and plan on getting rid of them in a few years.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Thank You, but I was looking on spending as little as possible to build into a rental units. I never plan on living in these homes as they are flip homes and plan on getting rid of them in a few years.
Then why even enclose them and have the expense of keeping the windows clean. I flipped a lot of homes and the trick was to keep costs down and do the minimum especially if you are going to have renters for a few years. One thing I learned in flipping is that it's a lot more profitable to buy and sell industrial buildings rather than residential and they are easy to rent out while waiting to sell them.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default rental unit enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Sounds like acrylic might be your solution.. Most of the thread related to a discussion of higher quality product. Even acrylic mihgt not get you a return on investment .. You'll rent your place during silly season whether it has screens or a weatherproof enclosure ..

Of course, if you have a cheap mindset, and furnish your home with shoddy furnishings, you'll attract a different clientele and reap what you sow
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, windows, nice, easily, quickly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.