Landscape stone

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2020, 06:03 AM

fromlawnstotrees.com

R&R Landscaping

Had stone put down in March...had 4 estimates and this company came in $650.00 cheaper than the next guy...let me go out and buy what I wanted so no up charge...planted everything and pulled out what I didn't want...trimmed my Robellini , but down the weed guard...owner and an older guy...$850.00 plus I tipped them...used my stimulus check and they did a fabulous job
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I had that done about a year ago and deeply regret it. Your "average area" is likely different then many others but I had other things done with it so I can't guess. I regret it because I have 5x as many weeds growing as anyone I have seen with chips or mulch or anything else but stones. YES, landscaping material was placed under it. If you want my stones feel free to come and scoop 'em up! I hate them.
We did it ourselves and have NO Weeds - we put down double fiber - if you don' t tell landscapers to do it right they won't; We go away for 3 months in Motorhome each year (not this year) and when we come back only a few surface weeds from stone dust out in 10 mins entire areas surrounding our home including entire back yard;my wife and I also installed 20ton of Seminole stone ourselves;had them drop loads 3 times to spread out;looks beautiful;do it RIGHT and no weeds;all my neighbors who used landscapers has weeds
Old 07-17-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenick View Post
Can anyone give me an idea how much it cost to have someone put stone in the flower beds of the average landscaping. And any recommendations.

Be careful what you wish for....

using stones in the beds will dramatically raise the heat which isn't all that great for the plants in the bed

secondly, snakes love the stone beds because it helps them shed their skin quicker

just saying
Old 07-17-2020, 07:59 AM

Good morning--We have River Rock (reddish brown in color) In all the flower beds & replaced the back lawn with it as well. I wish we had put in the light colored rocks instead. The River rock absorbs the heat & is very hard on the plantings & requires the use of more water. We've had ours for about 8 years. The weeds do come through but are easy enough to manage. FYI, the River Rock is more expensive than the light rock. My neighbor has the wood mulch & it does float after heavy rains.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Are you certain you want stones around your landscaping? They overheat in the summer-early fall months and will kill your plantings unless you up your watering times greatly. And stone costs multiples of both straw or wood mulch.

You can’t go wrong doing your landscaping along the lines of what The Villages does. If stone was a good alternative, they’d be using it.

Check it out with the Agronomy department at UF.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:43 AM

I have river rock, done 10 years ago. Looks great, first 5 or 6 years no weeds at all, now very manageable. I pull when I see them every other week or so, they pull right out because the roots are so shallow. I spray once a month with spectrazaide and when I leave for 4 months spread Preen, next to no weeds when I get home. Had bark for first 9 years, had to respread every few years and rake monthly, still had just as many weeds and in heavy rains the bark would wash out in places. Would do the rocks again, love the look and have not had any problems with plants, even flowers from the "extra heat from the rocks".
Old 07-17-2020, 10:17 AM
Default Please come get this stone!

Quote:
I had that done about a year ago and deeply regret it. Your "average area" is likely different then many others but I had other things done with it so I can't guess. I regret it because I have 5x as many weeds growing as anyone I have seen with chips or mulch or anything else but stones. YES, landscaping material was placed under it. If you want my stones feel free to come and scoop 'em up! I hate them.

I HATE the stone. It came with the house. Weeds do grow from the bottom, depending on the bushes, flowers, and seeds landing on top of the stone. Too much upkeep. I decided to change one area with stone into the garden. I was too stubborn to have them dug up I’ll do it myself, YIKES! After 4 yrs of picking rocks out still I still find them (I think they are mating)

Last edited by aces_04; 07-17-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Can anyone give me an idea how much it cost to have someone put stone in the flower beds of the average landscaping. And any recommendations.
Stone or rock in flower beds is the worst you can do to destroy your plants. They add heat and they also let weeds come up even with the weed preventive plastic they lay down. I use fresh mulch every spring, which retains mositure, actually blocks the weeds fairly good (weeds can grown thru anything). and looks fresh each year. I had to have rock removed at the last two homes I purchased here in The Villages, which was expensive to remove. The only thing else you need is a block border which will keep your mulch in the beds and seperate the beds from the grass area. They also look very nice with your landscaping. Just my opinion from 40 years of landscaping my own homes and living in Florida.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:38 PM

I too highly recommend that you take the time to contact the ARC or, better yet, the Property Standards Department regarding your desire to alter your current landscaping. This past winter we were approached by a "project manager" from the Property Standards Department who informed us that our stone landscaping was in violation of the Villages property standards. This occurred 4 years after we purchased the property. During our efforts to work with the property standards folks to resolve and correct the "violation" we found out about what I refer to as "The Story of the Stones". It seems that over the past 11 years, since our subdivision was developed, The Villages had changed the allowable amount of stone that could be used for landscaping purposes from 100% stones to a restricted amount, back to 100%, then back to a the previously restricted amount of stone. We also found out that a previous owner of our property tried to obtain approval to install 100% stones on the property for ease of maintenance, but the request was denied by the ARC. We were also informed by the property standards folk that it is their intent to have as much "green" landscaping as possible on "ALL" properties within it's jurisdiction. Also, pleased be aware that the use of stone can vary from CDD to CDD. So fine and read the specific requirements or limitations for your CDD before doing anything. The requirements can be found on the Villages website. Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:57 PM

Thank you all. You have given me a lot of good ideas.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:15 PM

I have the medium sized, light to medium colored stones. Again, no weeds seen since installed three years ago.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
I have a company who "weeds" our flower beds. They don't pull but spray. Our Seminole chip beds are 95 to 98% free of weeds and our shrubs and trees are very happy. Seminole chip are those dark brownish purple-ish irregularly shaped rocks that remain stable under your feet when you walk on them. Very pleased with the application and we have had the Seminole chip in our flower beds for over a year.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I paid $100.00 a ton for mine 1 1/2 year ago. I used Brandon Burris he sent me to the stone yard to choose my stone and he installed it. He will work with you.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have a company who "weeds" our flower beds. They don't pull but spray. Our Seminole chip beds are 95 to 98% free of weeds and our shrubs and trees are very happy. Seminole chip are those dark brownish purple-ish irregularly shaped rocks that remain stable under your feet when you walk on them. Very pleased with the application and we have had the Seminole chip in our flower beds for over a year.
We don't have that luxury so I have to DIY. Seminole chips? Sounds like they ground up native Americans.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:23 PM
Default Stones

Quote:
Are you serious about wanting to get rid of them?
Closed Thread

Tags
stone, landscape, landscaping, average, beds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.