Landscaping compliance

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Landscaping compliance

My son and daughter-in-law bought a patio villa 2 months ago in Buttonwood that they will rent, and visit when not occupied. The home was purchased through The Villages Realty. It is nicely landscaped with stone and shrubs, without any grass. It is my understanding that it has been this way for several years. They got a call from the Villages this morning, telling them that there had been a complaint (anonymously) against there home and another couple of neighbors that have the same landscaping. The representative searched the records, and couldn't find a permit for the work done. She said they could file a request to keep it as is, without any guarantee. Does anyone know if they are liable for any new landscaping to bring it into compliance if necessary? Will they have any recourse, and if so, against whom? Just doesn't seem right. I realize some might say they should have checked, but how many people check for landscaping compliance when buying a home here, especially when being sold by the Villages?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,609 Times in 5,195 Posts

I agree that it is not right because landscaping enforcement is nowhere near consistent within The Villages. I would file the request to leave it as is, and include at least 20 or 30 photos of other non-conforming landscaped houses. They will be very easy to find. If they don't approve your request, you can always file your own complaints against other property owners. Apparently, that is the way the system works.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Here are the answers.

Yes, they are responsible for bringing their property into compliance.

Applying to keep as is will likely not succeed since they are applying for something that is not allowed.

No recourse. Unfortunately the previous owner did not follow procedure and performed work that was not approved. This is not the first time that a violation was inherited (I am one).

And finally. Nobody. Nobody checks because nobody thinks to.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage

I live on a street with courtyard villas. About half of them have had all grass removed. This may be legal in a courtyard villa, but I am certain that almost no one every got a permit as required, and there are more than 50 illegal lawn ornaments. Not a good system for landscape enforcement.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Tell them ỳou will grow corn and potatoes if they do not aprove the retro permission!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that it is not right because landscaping enforcement is nowhere near consistent within The Villages. I would file the request to leave it as is, and include at least 20 or 30 photos of other non-conforming landscaped houses. They will be very easy to find. If they don't approve your request, you can always file your own complaints against other property owners. Apparently, that is the way the system works.
What would be the benefit of reporting other non conformities?
Old 07-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
What would be the benefit of reporting other non conformities?
Because there is a legal concept that you need to be consistent when enforcing rules and covenants. I don't think that only enforcing violations that are reported to you is being consistent. I think The Villages has an obligation to enforce their rules in a manner that treats eveyone equally, especially when they know that there are multiple violations all over The Villages. Many homeowners and condo associations have learned this lesson the hard way by losing lawsuits.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-09-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might be able to go to small claims court or hire and attorney and sue the company who sold you the property if the sales agreement says no violations.
Be interest if anyone thinks title insurance might help as the claim is against the propery.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Tell them ỳou will grow corn and potatoes if they do not aprove the retro permission!
That's funny!
Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Default Title insurance

I was going to suggest Title Insurance as well. That is why you buy it to take care of situations such as this. I'd try to get retroactive permission and if that doesn't work then title insurance should cover it. The title insurance company is suppose to do a thorough check on property to make sure everything is legal. If they didn't investigation the permits for landscaping that is on them.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Title insurance covers liens, encumbrances, or defects in the title. It has nothing to do with this situation.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Title insurance covers liens, encumbrances, or defects in the title. It has nothing to do with this situation.
I agree. I don't think title insurance will help.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Because there is a legal concept that you need to be consistent when enforcing rules and covenants. I don't think that only enforcing violations that are reported to you is being consistent. I think The Villages has an obligation to enforce their rules in a manner that treats eveyone equally, especially when they know that there are multiple violations all over The Villages. Many homeowners and condo associations have learned this lesson the hard way by losing lawsuits.
I don't think that concept applies here, the determination of compliance is left to the residents. Your neighbors impact your home's value and if you believe they are doing something that has a negative impact and is out of compliance you should report it. If out of compliance they will be treated equally as all other out of compliant properties. Before we moved here we investigated all the covenants and the processes. We knew about ARC, we knew about the set backs and the risks for infringement and we knew about the complaint system. If your neighbors are happy with what you do then there will be no issues regardless on what you do....until they try to sell.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That's funny!
And it would probably work.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
I would never live somewhere that I had so many comlaints about.
Closed Thread

Tags
landscaping, villages, compliance, home, liable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.