Landscaping compliance

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Gold member

This is what happens when neighbors do not report violations of the deed restrictions in a timely manner. Neighborhoods change and all it takes is one future resident to complain about something that was done many years prior without the new owners knowledge at all. Inevitably, what happens is others in the neighborhood copycat each other when they see something and they think it is OK to do. Tell your son good luck but they will probably find it against the rules and he will have to remedy the situation out of his own pocket.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 PM

I know the landscaping design my neighbors submitted to ARC was not going to be the final design, it was just a design submitted for approval.. No one from ARC does a follow up on the design and also landscapers should be held accountable for cost of unauthorized landscape.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Did they tell them what exactly is out of compliance? Many many villas have removed all grass and replaced with stone so there must be something more. If they do not know the exact issue they should ask before they do anything. When they do apply for approval they should include that they bought it that way and they have not made any changes to date.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

I'm not clear on what was out of compliance?

How do you learn about the landscaping requirements for the new communities still under construction? The builder landscaping looks super low cost ;-)

I'll be interested to comply with the Florida low water guidelines.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Did they tell them what exactly is out of compliance? Many many villas have removed all grass and replaced with stone so there must be something more. If they do not know the exact issue they should ask before they do anything. When they do apply for approval they should include that they bought it that way and they have not made any changes to date.
True many villas have no grass and have installed stone; however, those homes are likely out of compliance. At least 70% of the villas in our are have removed grass and have stone. It is prohibited in our restrictions. While it looks nice, they are out of compliance.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:33 PM

Since I have lived here over 15 years now, it has been eye opening to observe the HUGE differences in "who" is "allowed" to do "what". Guess it depends on WHO you are ! There are different "rules" in different villages of course, some people have their fountains "disabled" by the village watch dogs in the white trucks, others have had these "gentlemen" actually come onto their property AFTER dusk to remove small statues and in one case a small cross a neighbor put in a very discrete location in a landscaped area. I understand these things happen due to "the people of America's friendliest hometown", calling and complaining about each other. Such a sorry state as the couple above, who like my sister-in-law and hubby, bought a downright beautiful home from TV's with lovely expensive landscaping, only to find out a few months later NO ONE, not a single person involved from the villages, the bank, the attorney involved, not a sole told them or checked FOR them on their behalf, that the landscaping was not in compliance as it extended 2" over the legal line. WHERE are, or WHAT do, you pay for title insurance for, for nothing ? Now most recently I noticed, that although a friend who wanted to sell her villa to build a new home in Brownwood, was told she must remove the for sale sign immediately (also delivered by the little white truck "watch" man) or else..... the or else was not explained. Six doors away there was, and still is, a huge sign posted right on the garage door, the difference ? Well, apparently Re-Max, and especially one person in Re-Max has special privileges from the Villages. Today I was driving in the village of Bonnybrook, sure enough, this same special person from Re-Max has a large (forbidden) sign on the garage of a designer home. So, did I race back to my village to call and report this ? NO WAY, unlike a few people, I have better things to do with my life and my time than see how many people get by with things the rest of us never could. Resentful, LOL, may sound like it but I honestly think it's a kind of funny/sad. Hope the people's children described above DO get to keep their nicely done landscaping, it's probably part of the reason they bought the place !
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 AM
Veteran member

Such a nasty surprise for new buyers.

It would be nice if Villages agents informed prospective buyers that [X] is out of compliance; then at least the buyers would know to check if permissions had been granted. IMO, it verges on unethical not to do so.

At the very least, agents should as a matter of course point buyers to the appropriate online deed restrictions so they can review them and make fully informed decisions.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Since I have lived here over 15 years now, it has been eye opening to observe the HUGE differences in "who" is "allowed" to do "what". Guess it depends on WHO you are ! There are different "rules" in different villages of course, some people have their fountains "disabled" by the village watch dogs in the white trucks, others have had these "gentlemen" actually come onto their property AFTER dusk to remove small statues and in one case a small cross a neighbor put in a very discrete location in a landscaped area. I understand these things happen due to "the people of America's friendliest hometown", calling and complaining about each other. Such a sorry state as the couple above, who like my sister-in-law and hubby, bought a downright beautiful home from TV's with lovely expensive landscaping, only to find out a few months later NO ONE, not a single person involved from the villages, the bank, the attorney involved, not a sole told them or checked FOR them on their behalf, that the landscaping was not in compliance as it extended 2" over the legal line. WHERE are, or WHAT do, you pay for title insurance for, for nothing ? Now most recently I noticed, that although a friend who wanted to sell her villa to build a new home in Brownwood, was told she must remove the for sale sign immediately (also delivered by the little white truck "watch" man) or else..... the or else was not explained. Six doors away there was, and still is, a huge sign posted right on the garage door, the difference ? Well, apparently Re-Max, and especially one person in Re-Max has special privileges from the Villages. Today I was driving in the village of Bonnybrook, sure enough, this same special person from Re-Max has a large (forbidden) sign on the garage of a designer home. So, did I race back to my village to call and report this ? NO WAY, unlike a few people, I have better things to do with my life and my time than see how many people get by with things the rest of us never could. Resentful, LOL, may sound like it but I honestly think it's a kind of funny/sad. Hope the people's children described above DO get to keep their nicely done landscaping, it's probably part of the reason they bought the place !

The parts highlighted above are not correct. Village Watch people do not come onto your property at any time of the day to remove anything and most certainly do not say "or else" to anything. They also do not report items out of deed compliance. The sign on the lawn was out of compliance but a sign in a window is allowed. ReMax has no pass.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Well, that's quite a rant. I hope that you feel better now and are able to enjoy day.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
I'm not clear on what was out of compliance?

How do you learn about the landscaping requirements for the new communities still under construction? The builder landscaping looks super low cost ;-)

I'll be interested to comply with the Florida low water guidelines.
The specifics of what you can do are in the covenants you sign when you buy. They are also posted here though for a newer are it might be a while to get posted. The covenants tell you when you can water. Some times when rain is low there are further restrictions on watering. A lot, I think most, of The Villages, is watered with reclaimed or collected rainwater. If you use to much water you will get a notice.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Such a nasty surprise for new buyers.

It would be nice if Villages agents informed prospective buyers that [X] is out of compliance; then at least the buyers would know to check if permissions had been granted. IMO, it verges on unethical not to do so.

At the very least, agents should as a matter of course point buyers to the appropriate online deed restrictions so they can review them and make fully informed decisions.
What about homes on MLS and FSBO?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Default Title insurance

Found this on the internet. You know if it's on the internet it has to be true.

Contact your Title Insurance Company. Potentially the HOA was supposed to disclose any dues not yet paid and any items which were prior issues before the sale of the home which could affect the title of the property at that time. I remember a number of years ago on this site someone had bought a home which had the driveway added to in violation of the CCR's and the HOA after they purchased went after new owner. I told them to contact their Title Insurance Company ... and their Title Insurance went after the HOA. You are essentially supposed to get a clean title with no encumbrances not disclosed and then move forward. If the HOA did not disclose ... that potentially is their responsibility.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
It is nicely landscaped with stone and shrubs, without any grass. She said they could file a request to keep it as is, without any guarantee.
Job One is to file that request and wait to see what they say.

Get those neighbors who have also been reported to file a request as well.

There have been changes over the years as to what is and what isn't allowed, with more flexibility as to how your plot can look, so ARC may well decide that it will only be a matter of time before one such as your son's, and their neighbors, is allowed anyway and decide not to pursue.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
Found this on the internet. You know if it's on the internet it has to be true.

Contact your Title Insurance Company. Potentially the HOA was supposed to disclose any dues not yet paid and any items which were prior issues before the sale of the home which could affect the title of the property at that time. I remember a number of years ago on this site someone had bought a home which had the driveway added to in violation of the CCR's and the HOA after they purchased went after new owner. I told them to contact their Title Insurance Company ... and their Title Insurance went after the HOA. You are essentially supposed to get a clean title with no encumbrances not disclosed and then move forward. If the HOA did not disclose ... that potentially is their responsibility.
We don't have an HOA.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The parts highlighted above are not correct. Village Watch people do not come onto your property at any time of the day to remove anything and most certainly do not say "or else" to anything. They also do not report items out of deed compliance. The sign on the lawn was out of compliance but a sign in a window is allowed. ReMax has no pass.
I live in Tall Trees and, for awhile, there has been a house for sale with a BIG Re-Max for sale sign on the garage door of a designer. It is now gone as I assume the house has sold or someone reported the sign, but I did not see any sign in the window. Personally, it did not bother me. I would rather see that than a sign in the yard.
Closed Thread

Tags
landscaping, villages, compliance, home, liable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.