Landscaping compliance

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Sage

There are a couple of problems with this. First of all, who has the legal authority to require this?

Secondly, as an example, just because you received ARC approval for a landscaping plan doesn't mean that the actual installation is compliant with the restrictions. Nobody comes out and inspects the installation to verify compliance. Therefore, the seller really doesn't know if the property meets all restrictions. I guess you could "report" yourself for noncompliance and when Community Standards comes out to investigate you could create a paper trail showing you are compliant. This is one of the issues I see with the ARC: no checkup after installation. This is different than pulling a building permit and having a final inspection done to verify that the work was done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
A simple form to sign for all home sales in the Villages, on official Villages letter head, signed by the seller stating home is in compliance with all deeds, covenants and restrictions? It should be on the seller, not the buyer.
Steve
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Lots of ideas here on about making changes. How many will attend their monthly CDD board meeting and speak? That is how changes are actually made.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Lots of ideas here on about making changes. How many will attend their monthly CDD board meeting and speak? That is how changes are actually made.
Most people just want to complain and not do the work necessary to get change. I might add that having a TV employee (actually it would be employees) looking for violations and following up with the paper work would be an enormous expense. We need to be careful what we wish for as we would pay the bill.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Especially since everyone keeps telling newcomers that they'll get to see the rules when they buy the house.

By that time, it's too late. Potential homeowners should be directed, very specifically and intentionally, to the deed restrictions, covenant, and whatever else for the property they're considering. For some people, not being able to do certain things can be a deal-breaker and it wouldn't occur to them to even ask if it was allowed or not, because it seems like such a no-brainer kind of thing.

Like adding a small storage box behind the house near the air conditioning unit (which is not allowed). or putting a window A/C in the garage (not allowed). or planting your own tomatoes in the flower bed in the front (until recently, not allowed).

These are things that are typically allowed anywhere else in the entire country, so there's no reason anyone should ever expect to have to ask.
Why SHOULD "they?". People have no trouble selling homes here and only a few find things to complain about.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Especially since everyone keeps telling newcomers that they'll get to see the rules when they buy the house.

By that time, it's too late.
Potential homeowners should be directed, very specifically and intentionally, to the deed restrictions, covenant, and whatever else for the property they're considering. For some people, not being able to do certain things can be a deal-breaker and it wouldn't occur to them to even ask if it was allowed or not, because it seems like such a no-brainer kind of thing.

Like adding a small storage box behind the house near the air conditioning unit (which is not allowed). or putting a window A/C in the garage (not allowed). or planting your own tomatoes in the flower bed in the front (until recently, not allowed).

These are things that are typically allowed anywhere else in the entire country, so there's no reason anyone should ever expect to have to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why SHOULD "they?". People have no trouble selling homes here and only a few find things to complain about.

"Why should they?" Because it's the right thing to do!
Jazuela is 100% correct!

I know of NO ONE who was ever given any documents to read before signing a contract for the purchase of a home here,
so they would know the "rules," i.e., what is permissible and what you can't do.

You don't seem to get it.
It has NOTHING to do with anyone having a problem selling a home here.
And while many people find issues to complain about -- many more than just a few issues are warranted and some are not.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Why is the realtor representing the sale of the home not responsible? They are receiving a commission on the sale. In my opinion, the realtor needs to verify deed compliance or not be selling.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Sage

How would a realtor verify deed compliance? Compliance is complaint driven; you need to file a complaint about a specific issue that you believe is non-compliant and that will trigger an investigation. I don't believe there is anyone you can call who will come out and give you a piece of paper that says the property is totally "deed compliant". In this regard, The Villages is different than another deed restricted community I lived in. In that community, compliance was monitored and enforced by an HOA. You could ask the HOA representative if a property was compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefin View Post
Why is the realtor representing the sale of the home not responsible? They are receiving a commission on the sale. In my opinion, the realtor needs to verify deed compliance or not be selling.

Last edited by biker1; 07-13-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Should people be told they are about to buy in the sinkhole belt? Should people sign that they are aware that this part of Florida is the lightning capital of the United States? Should they be directed to the fact that Florida falls near the bottom of the list for excellent health care? Should people be told that every week in The Villages that an average of four people die? I think all of these things are true, but it would be a rare realtor who would bring them up.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
"Why should they?"

I know of NO ONE who was ever given any documents to read before signing a contract for the purchase of a home here,
so they would know the "rules," i.e., what is permissible and what you can't do.
Hello, may have been a gap in the past, but when I put money down on a lot last month, I was supplied with all the applicable documents prior to signing the contract.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Hello, may have been a gap in the past, but when I put money down on a lot last month, I was supplied with all the applicable documents prior to signing the contract.
Likewise for use when we bought seven years ago.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Should people be told they are about to buy in the sinkhole belt? Should people sign that they are aware that this part of Florida is the lightning capital of the United States? Should they be directed to the fact that Florida falls near the bottom of the list for excellent health care? Should people be told that every week in The Villages that an average of four people die? I think all of these things are true, but it would be a rare realtor who would bring them up.

None of your mentioned items are things a real estate agent would bring up unless it directly affected a specific property in which a buyer had an interest.

BTW -- Marion, Lake and Sumter Counties are NOT in the "sinkhole belt."
Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post

You were very fortunate to have received that paperwork.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with a specific property with a specific issue that is specific to the Villages and nowhere else?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:06 AM
Default FL Seller's Disclosure Form

http://www.unlimitedmls.com/forms/Pr...osure-Form.pdf

I believe section#10(k) would be the key to the landscaping issue as well as any other deed restriction issue in The Villages.

Last edited by Wiserbud47; 07-14-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with a specific property with a specific issue that is specific to the Villages and nowhere else?
Could you please specify, how specific your specifications are please?
Specifically speaking of course!
Closed Thread

Tags
landscaping, villages, compliance, home, liable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.