Landscaping compliance

Landscaping compliance

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 PM

A simple form to sign for all home sales in the Villages, on official Villages letter head, signed by the seller stating home is in compliance with all deeds, covenants and restrictions? It should be on the seller, not the buyer.
Steve

Old 07-11-2019, 07:27 PM

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advise, but according to this Property Disclosure form, it seems reasonable to assume the previous owner had knowledge of non-compliance and could be accountable if not disclosed.

http://www.unlimitedmls.com/forms/Pr...osure-Form.pdf

Also seems compliance assessment could be a business opportunity for someone like a home inspector to include landscape non compliance in their assessment.

Buyers need also to be accountable to perform their own due diligence. In tue end, it will be their problem.

Last edited by Robbie0723; 07-11-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Since previous owners did the work, how would a new buyer even realize there was a possibility of a violation? This is really sad, but I’ve heard of it happening before.

If the buyer understood ARC requirements/rules, perhaps they’d check records; but how many new buyers would even think there could be an irregularity or know about ARC? I wouldn’t have as a new potential resident. Very unfair and sad for the new owner.

And—no—it’s not the responsibility of the realtor. It’s beyond their scope.
Especially since everyone keeps telling newcomers that they'll get to see the rules when they buy the house.

By that time, it's too late. Potential homeowners should be directed, very specifically and intentionally, to the deed restrictions, covenant, and whatever else for the property they're considering. For some people, not being able to do certain things can be a deal-breaker and it wouldn't occur to them to even ask if it was allowed or not, because it seems like such a no-brainer kind of thing.

Like adding a small storage box behind the house near the air conditioning unit (which is not allowed). or putting a window A/C in the garage (not allowed). or planting your own tomatoes in the flower bed in the front (until recently, not allowed).

These are things that are typically allowed anywhere else in the entire country, so there's no reason anyone should ever expect to have to ask.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO realty company “ especially Villages realty should be libel for selling house out of compliance. IMO in HOA no houses should be sold if not in compliance with all restrictions and permits. You pay realtors to do job, researching property up to code and compliance IMO part of the job and not just listing and hanging sign.
The previous owner of the house sold the house.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

While there is a percentage of grass that is required in you landscaping, there will always be someone who does not get ARC approval.
Our old PV neighborhood had 6 houses remove all lawn and had rock in various shades of color in its place. While not ideal of the curb appeal I want to look out at, I didn’t pay for their home or taxes.
However just recently all homes had a complaint filed against them, so will see what changes
Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Platinum member

There are a couple of problems with this. First of all, who has the legal authority to require this?

Secondly, as an example, just because you received ARC approval for a landscaping plan doesn't mean that the actual installation is compliant with the restrictions. Nobody comes out and inspects the installation to verify compliance. Therefore, the seller really doesn't know if the property meets all restrictions. I guess you could "report" yourself for noncompliance and when Community Standards comes out to investigate you could create a paper trail showing you are compliant. This is one of the issues I see with the ARC: no checkup after installation. This is different than pulling a building permit and having a final inspection done to verify that the work was done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
A simple form to sign for all home sales in the Villages, on official Villages letter head, signed by the seller stating home is in compliance with all deeds, covenants and restrictions? It should be on the seller, not the buyer.
Steve
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Lots of ideas here on about making changes. How many will attend their monthly CDD board meeting and speak? That is how changes are actually made.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Lots of ideas here on about making changes. How many will attend their monthly CDD board meeting and speak? That is how changes are actually made.
Most people just want to complain and not do the work necessary to get change. I might add that having a TV employee (actually it would be employees) looking for violations and following up with the paper work would be an enormous expense. We need to be careful what we wish for as we would pay the bill.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Especially since everyone keeps telling newcomers that they'll get to see the rules when they buy the house.

By that time, it's too late. Potential homeowners should be directed, very specifically and intentionally, to the deed restrictions, covenant, and whatever else for the property they're considering. For some people, not being able to do certain things can be a deal-breaker and it wouldn't occur to them to even ask if it was allowed or not, because it seems like such a no-brainer kind of thing.

Like adding a small storage box behind the house near the air conditioning unit (which is not allowed). or putting a window A/C in the garage (not allowed). or planting your own tomatoes in the flower bed in the front (until recently, not allowed).

These are things that are typically allowed anywhere else in the entire country, so there's no reason anyone should ever expect to have to ask.
Why SHOULD "they?". People have no trouble selling homes here and only a few find things to complain about.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

By that time, it's too late.
Potential homeowners should be directed, very specifically and intentionally, to the deed restrictions, covenant, and whatever else for the property they're considering. For some people, not being able to do certain things can be a deal-breaker and it wouldn't occur to them to even ask if it was allowed or not, because it seems like such a no-brainer kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why SHOULD "they?". People have no trouble selling homes here and only a few find things to complain about.

"Why should they?" Because it's the right thing to do!
Jazuela is 100% correct!

I know of NO ONE who was ever given any documents to read before signing a contract for the purchase of a home here,
so they would know the "rules," i.e., what is permissible and what you can't do.

You don't seem to get it.
It has NOTHING to do with anyone having a problem selling a home here.
And while many people find issues to complain about -- many more than just a few issues are warranted and some are not.

Tags
landscaping, villages, compliance, home, liable