Landscaping stone backing to St. Charles Place

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Where are the mythical old ladies with clipboards in their golf cart when you need ‘em?
They are extremely busy documenting Virus Safety Rule Violators around the Villages and in the stores and then posting updates about them on FB , the V-N , NextDoor etc . And reports are that they are getting very exhausted from the workload .

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 04-24-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I usually turn off St. Charles onto Bailey Trail, so I don't go down by Allamanda, I guess it's down there toward Buena Vista. Anyway, have you seen the backyard on Odell Circle near the Duval Pool? It's all rocks and cactus, I think it looks great. The most recent google map image is from 2013, it's has been expanded to almost the whole yard now.

Google Maps
Old 04-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I usually turn off St. Charles onto Bailey Trail, so I don't go down by Allamanda, I guess it's down there toward Buena Vista. Anyway, have you seen the backyard on Odell Circle near the Duval Pool? It's all rocks and cactus, I think it looks great. The most recent google map image is from 2013, it's has been expanded to almost the whole yard now.

Google Maps
It's not down there; it's the other direction, down by the St. James gate. There is no landscaping, just an expanse of pebbles like people use around their plantings and in place of grass in the CYV's.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My house backs on Pinellas place, and there is a 20 foot R/W (for utilities) that has very specific restrictions, one of which is no permanent structures (concrete pads, etc.). Now I have no idea if the hardscaping would qualify as "permanent" however, I was cautioned about PLANTING in the area. I have a very nice flat back yard with NO trees, bushes, etc in that right of way.
I believe VT nailed it. The stone is OK, according to code, because it's not "permanent." If excavating is necessary in the right of way, the homeowner would be repairing/replacing stone, as opposed to repairing/replacing sod. Stone or sod -- neither is permanent.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:52 AM

It looks better than weeds however they should plant some colorful flowers to brighten up the space.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Unfortunately I believe that there is a Florida Statute that prohibits local restrictions on yardscapes that preserve water .
My bet is this treatments is protected by those statutes.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I believe VT nailed it. The stone is OK, according to code, because it's not "permanent." If excavating is necessary in the right of way, the homeowner would be repairing/replacing stone, as opposed to repairing/replacing sod. Stone or sod -- neither is permanent.
It goes beyond what is considered "permanent". ARC is very restrictive about a large area of stone without plantings of any type.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's not down there; it's the other direction, down by the St. James gate. There is no landscaping, just an expanse of pebbles like people use around their plantings and in place of grass in the CYV's.
I'm going that way in a few minutes, getting a Jersey Mike's sub made without a mask. I'll take a look.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Went over to see. Can't find anything that fits your description.
Oh I understand now. I misunderstood "15-20 feet of stone" to be a border instead of ground cover.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

I saw it this afternoon, heck I've driven by there numerous times and never paid attention. It's only about 12 to 15 feet wide, it's strip between the curb and their big hedge. I was thinking it was the whole back yard the way this was being mentioned. I don't have problem with their yard.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:07 AM

y don't we just live outher pople be it is their home
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Do they have a permit posted in front of the house, if so it was approved, if not make the call.
I’m sure they submitted a request to Architectural Review. Are you going to complain because YOU don’t like how it looks? Don’t you have more important things to worry about right now? This is another reason why I love Southern Oaks. Very different restrictions.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Default Landscaping stone backing to St. Charles Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Google Maps
UGH! We drive by there often - it is pretty ugly for sure. I can't even look at it. I guess because it is in the back yard that makes it okay. Only good thing is that the woman does keep it up.

To each his own...
Old 04-26-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
There is a house that backs up to St. Charles Place on the south side, close to the Buena Vista gate, that was recently landscaped in the back yard. At least 15-20 feet of stone extends from the house's shrubs (the whole width of the lot), right to the curb of St. Charles.

Is this allowed? It really sticks out as you drive by.

I have not checked with Community Standards but am curious what others (those who have seen it) think.

ADDENDUM: Near the St. James gate to Buena Vista.
Did you check with Community Standards to see if this landscaping change was completed per plans approved by the ARC?

If not, you should.

Based on your described location for this house, it should be in CDD#5.

The CDD#5 Architectural Review Manual for the ARC, as approved by the District #5 Board of Supervisors, states, in part, under the section on new/additional landscaping, "Existing sod or other plant material shall only be replaced with sod or other plant material. Rock is not an acceptable replacement for sod or other plant material(s) except as an accent material in approved landscaping beds".

Based on this it seems unlikely that the owners of the house obtained ARC approval for the stone ground cover that you have described.

Edit: someone says the offending house is in CDD#8. The Architectural Review Manuals for both CDD#5 and CDD#8 have exactly the same wording about rock not being an acceptable replacement for sod.

Last edited by Aw Man; 04-26-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
Did you check with Community Standards to see if this landscaping change was completed per plans approved by the ARC?

If not, you should.

Based on your described location for this house, it should be in CDD#5.
St. James should be in District 8, the same as my village, Tamarind Grove. Here's district 8, and the backyard is on St. Charles, which is the curved circle through the middle.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
charles, place, stone, drive, landscaping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.