Furnace Filter and Maintenance Question

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Gold member
Default Furnace Filter and Maintenance Question

Its been almost a year that we moved in and time for the annual checkup and filter replacement.

Sunshine AC wants $122.00 per unit to service.
The filter sizes are 19X20X4 and 16X20X4 for Carrier and are about $70.00 each from Filters USA and more from Sunshine.

They are to be replaced annually.

Anyone have any experience buying these filters for less?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum member

I would shop around. Try Munns and Sun Kool. $70.00 seems high for a filter. I recently paid much less for Honeywell MERV10, 5X20X25. These are similar to the filters used in Aprilaire units. They are supposed to be good for a year although Sun Kool's tech said six months. These filters are not available in big box stores.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dear keithwand,
I just did a quick search and found these filters all over for under $30.00 each. As long as they fit properly and are the correct size, they do not need to be "Currier" brand filters.
Decide how high a MERV rating you want, (higher is better) and order. Usually if you buy a few of them you can also get free shipping. You can also check with some neighbors to perhaps go in together and buy a case to get even a better price.

Good luck,

Frank
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM

Ace Hardware carries the 4" filters, all different sizes.

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."----John Wesley
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM

I found my filters online (FILXXFNC0021). They were ~$57 for two and were Carrier filters. I was told and the manual says they should be replaced every 6 months. It appears you haven't been pouring warm water with a bit of anti-bacterial soap in the water down your condensation tube every 6 months either based on your statement.
Munns was our Heating/AC contractor with our new house. Btw.. they wanted close to $50 each for the same filter. In their home orientation you get, they explained much of the things to do and provided in the packet handed to us a discount on our first furnace checkup. I really don't think it is rocket science but for peace of mind I spend the monies to maintain the furnace and its controls.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Gold member

First, thanks for the tip re Ace.
The first service is FREE (new construction) so it doesn't matter what Sunshine charges for the service; I'll shop around next year.
When we were in Winter Park we had Del Air do our service at around $70.00 per unit.
Regarding appearances as mentioned above I do flush the condensate pipe the first of every month with warm water only. No vinegar (ruins the coils) and no soap.
Filters USA does show both generic and Carrier filters as you mention. Returns if required would be a drag if damaged or shipped wrong.
BTW after selling my Manufacturers Rep. business in the '90s I was with Lennox Heating and Cooling as National OEM Sales Manager until retiring in 2002 so I do know just a little about AC.
My only question was about the filters and if anyone had a less expensive source since I have 2 units.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Gold member

UPDATE: ACE on 466 has both sizes and they are $25.99 each and in stock.
Sparr Building is trying to get them in for stock in the near future.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last October I bought a 2 pack on Amazon with shipping it was about $37. I just checked Amazon and the seller has them in stock but only ten left, there were several sellers but this was the cheapest. Below is from the Amazon website:

16x20x4 MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter (2-Pack) $27.06 sold by Complete Filtration Services.

Because it not filled by Amazon itself it doesn't qualify for free shipping. I received them in about a week.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

I got mine from Shorty's Shortys HVAC Supplies, "Short on Price, Long on Quality!" - Indianapolis, IN I think 2 OEM were $60. There were others non OEM for less but without seeing them I went with the OEM. There are 3 different sizes used in the designer homes. So make sure you get the correct number off the filter or the unit.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last October I bought a 2 pack on Amazon with shipping it was about $37. I just checked Amazon and the seller has them in stock but only ten left, there were several sellers but this was the cheapest. Below is from the Amazon website:

16x20x4 MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter (2-Pack) $27.06 sold by Complete Filtration Services.

Because it not filled by Amazon itself it doesn't qualify for free shipping. I received them in about a week.
John - FYI: there's no link to Amazon in your post.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.