Identity Theft and Hacking Made Easy

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Default Identity Theft and Hacking Made Easy

The government goes to some length to protect our privacy.
Businesses go to some length to announce their privacy practices.
The media goes to great length to publish the problems with breaches in privacy. Then we go on the internet and publish enough personal information to make us easy prey to identity thieves or hackers.

This forum is a treasure trove in personal information. The search feature can produce dozens of e-mail addresses in one click. There is enough info in some of the posts to identify the poster, reveal their security habits, when and for how long they will be away from their homes, and what there may be worth stealing. There is enough info to make stealing their identity worth while and easy. They even post security sensitive information about their friends.

I could go on at great length as this is a subject with more angles than a ping pong game. I am hoping there will be responses elaborating on the seriousness of this subject.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Sage

I have always thought the same thing. You think people share info here? Spend a day on face book. It is amazing the personal things people will share.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

I think Facebook is even worse than TOTV. On FB you have last names, and broadcasting that they are going on vacation next week.

I've thought about these things myself and I try to be careful about what I post.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[..

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.