Large orange wasp verses larger spider

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 AM
Default Large orange wasp verses larger spider

My husband and I were walking along the Marsh Bend Trail near the Water Lily Rec Center yesterday. We suddenly came across an orange wasp ~1.5 inches in length. It was dragging an enormous spider. The diameter of this spiders body, legs curled up, was about the size of a US nickel. As the drama was unfolding in the center of the path directly in our way, we stopped a few yards away to observe. The wasp left the spider and flew directly at my husband who swatted it away. We moved back and observed the wasp grab ahold of its prey and proceed to drag it up onto the shorter grass into some nearby tall ornamental grasses.
Anybody else witnessed this type of wasp before? I found a similar species but it lives in Texas. Apparently these spiders fall into a category known as Pompilidae?
Thanks for any observations.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiandJay View Post
My husband and I were walking along the Marsh Bend Trail near the Water Lily Rec Center yesterday. We suddenly came across an orange wasp ~1.5 inches in length. It was dragging an enormous spider. The diameter of this spiders body, legs curled up, was about the size of a US nickel. As the drama was unfolding in the center of the path directly in our way, we stopped a few yards away to observe. The wasp left the spider and flew directly at my husband who swatted it away. We moved back and observed the wasp grab ahold of its prey and proceed to drag it up onto the shorter grass into some nearby tall ornamental grasses.
Anybody else witnessed this type of wasp before? I found a similar species but it lives in Texas. Apparently these spiders fall into a category known as Pompilidae?
Thanks for any observations.
Maybe one of these--

Red Paper Wasp (Polistes spp.)
Closed Thread

Tags
wasp, spider, directly, spiders, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.