Laser pointed to the sky

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

How else are they going to talk to aliens?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
Don't laugh.
Saw an episode on tv where the person was pointing a laser into the sky to try to signal UFOs.
Who knows, maybe trying it.
It was foggy as all get out yesterday at sun up, I've attached an image from my cameras.

Who doesn't want to shoot a laser into the sky then? It's neat to see how far it goes...which in a fog is about 300 feet, well below the 700AGL floor for class E airspace. I believe most of TV is in class E except the southern end.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	foggy1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	90873  
Old 09-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy a laser in the first place.
There are many good uses for a laser. A transit in construction is one.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

"Beam me up, Scotty."

Skip
Old 09-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Send a message via AIM to Tsalla Apopka
Default lasers

The first commercial use of a laser was in digging ditches. They put a strip of white tape on the shovel handles and told the guys to dig until the laser pointed at the tape on the shovel when they held the shovel up in the ditch.
Now they put a strip of white paint on the bulldozer blade.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Let me rephrase this for you: it is legal to point a laser in the sky UNLESS it is pointed in a aircraft flight path. It IS NOT a third or second degree felony or a crime of any kind to do so.

So yes my analogy is perfect and appropriate. Perhaps you do not understand aviation

The 'sky' is vast and the entire 'sky' is not a aviation flight path. In fact there are designated flight paths. To draw a analogy the entire dry earth (which is far smaller than the 'sky') is not a roadway.
We can clearly see where the roadways are located and steer clear of them. Not so for flight paths. Accidentally hitting a plane is bound to happen eventually when people randomly point lasers into the sky.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy a laser in the first place.
I looked it up for you:

Accuracy

A USAF Airman using an M4 with a PEQ-15 laser sight

US Army 82nd Airborne Division using IR laser sights seen through a night vision device on a training exercise in Iraq
The use of laser sights is associated with increased accuracy in general, increasing the probability of hitting the target especially in low light conditions.[10][11] The projected dot speeds up target acquisition, decreasing the time required for the shooter to aim and fire, as well as decreasing the time necessary for follow-up shots. Laser sights also aid in point shooting, where the shooter relies on hand eye coordination rather than aiming with a traditional sight.[12] This is of particular use when the user does not have time or is unable to obtain a proper sight picture before firing; for example, the use of ballistic shields or gas masks may obstruct access to the sights. Lasers also increase accuracy when shooting from an unconventional stance.

I have a scope and a laser on mine. Scope for hunt, laser for intruders.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 AM

Cats
Old 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
About 6:18 am, I was out on my lanai and saw a green laser pointed to the sky. It was somewhere between Longleaf #4 and the lanai on Gordon Path (west side). A few minutes later, I saw the green laser again but not pointed to the sky. In between these episodes, I observed a Community Watch truck turning onto Gordon Path. While I didn't see a plane in the area, I am concerned that this could impair someone's vision in the cockpit and lasers can travel. Who do you report these incidents to? TIA
I think it was just a giant light saber.😂😂😂
Old 09-20-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo cruze View Post
I looked it up for you:

Accuracy

A USAF Airman using an M4 with a PEQ-15 laser sight

US Army 82nd Airborne Division using IR laser sights seen through a night vision device on a training exercise in Iraq
The use of laser sights is associated with increased accuracy in general, increasing the probability of hitting the target especially in low light conditions.[10][11] The projected dot speeds up target acquisition, decreasing the time required for the shooter to aim and fire, as well as decreasing the time necessary for follow-up shots. Laser sights also aid in point shooting, where the shooter relies on hand eye coordination rather than aiming with a traditional sight.[12] This is of particular use when the user does not have time or is unable to obtain a proper sight picture before firing; for example, the use of ballistic shields or gas masks may obstruct access to the sights. Lasers also increase accuracy when shooting from an unconventional stance.

I have a scope and a laser on mine. Scope for hunt, laser for intruders.
You do know thats not the same thing, right ?
You can't see an IR laser with the naked eye. You can however, see it with your IPhone.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:57 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
It kinda sounds like fun to have one.....
Yep. especially with dogs and cats that like to chase them...
I have them on my pistols. Just aim the dot and pull the trigger.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:58 AM

You'll think it was someone on earth pointing it up into the sky. Maybe someone was pointing it down to earth. Their everywhere watching us.
Closed Thread

Tags
laser, sky, pointed, path, gordon

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.