buying South of 466

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Default buying South of 466

I heard that there was an article in the Property Owner's Assoc. newspaper regarding some problems with homes south of 466 built in 2005 & 2006. Anyone care to elaborate/comment? I am in the market for a pre-owned and looking both north and south of 466.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Sage
Default Re: buying South of 466

Mac,

They are probably referring to some problems with installation of vinyl siding. If you are looking at a pre-owned vinyl sided house, you might want to address this in any offer/contract or inspection contingency.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

and some even a bit older than that, I believe
Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Eternal Member

Kinda like Obama's qualifications to be president, the siding issue has been blown totally out of proportion, primarily for the benefit of those who actually do nothing yet complain constantly about those who do. To the best of my knowledge, there's been no rash of flying siding taking off the heads of innocent seniors or homes collapsing under the stress. Evidently almost all siding installed in the last several years was done so in a manner that did not conform to industry standards. And there were evidently a minuscule number of cases of siding being blown from homes (more on Groundhogs Day, but that's another story). Seemingly this problem worsened in building Duval, but I don't know if that's a fact or if there was just a lot louder and more coordinated screaming.

The developer is now reinspecting any home (I believe built in the last 10 years, but not sure of that) where the owner requests it and making any necessary changes, including a total residing if required. Though I'd had no problems whatsoever, I had mine done. Figured it was free and better safe etc. The inspector said that the original installer had spaced the nails too far apart so they re-nailed the whole place. I asked how serious the problem was, if it had been dangerous, and these guys said that in all likelihood nothing would have happened, that the siding was plenty solid with the fewer nails but it didn't meet specs. Meanwhile my next door neighbor has had siding issues since day one with pieces frequently coming loose. He's never been satisfied with the original builder. When his turn in the barrel came, they almost resided his entire house, taking everything off and starting from ground zero. For the first time in 3 years, he's happy with it.

I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you're buying a pre-owned, you're going to get it inspected anyway. Just make sure the inspector knows what to look for and does indeed look at the siding. In today's market, any seller will have the siding refurbished to make the sale. It doesn't cost that much even if he doesn't get the developer to do it free.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-08-2008, 03:53 AM

the problem was a installation of siding and it was mainly with the builders of 2 company they are correcting it

if you are interested in a pre owned corner lot courtyard villa with everything done i have one go to thevillagesfsbo.com 554 cheraw willing to drop price we did alot of upgrades but have to sell it now look it up and give me a call of u r interested
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 AM

Pre-owned is not necessarily cheaper than new -- We have a house in Duval and are building one in Hemmingway -- basically few if any problems -- Check pre-owned three ways 1. The Villages, 2. Outside realtors, 3. By owner FSBO and local paper, -- You can get more choices now in new homes -- In The Villages I recommend Debra Park, out side realtor I recommend Tom Heller or Lyle Gant, by owner needs a lawyer to guide final deal -- Happy Hunting --
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

We bought a resale in Poinciana (South of 466), last March. Our home is the vinyl sided Lantana........the model escapes me, my brain was fried in this hot NY weather. We had the house inspected prior to purchase and everything was fine.
We bought from TV saleswoman and were extremely happy.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-08-2008, 07:02 PM

The Villages will not come out and inspect if you closed on your home 5 or more years ago. I didn't know this and missed the deadline by about 4 weeks >
Old 06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Gold member

Bryant, I didn't know that five-year rule either. Thanks for posting it; I'll have them come next time we're in our Belvedere home, as we're past four years now....
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

BRYANT AND SID:
I also didn't know about the 5 year plan. I can't see any problems but I'll use their sevices next month in Ashland. Thanks :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Eternal Member

Can anyone CONFIRM that the article Mac refers to is about the siding issue?
Mac asks a question, the response is PROBABLY SIDING, then the entire thread takes on the life of a siding discussion.

Perhaps there is something else???
Old 06-10-2008, 02:05 AM

The most recent POA (Property Owners Association) bulletin talks about the siding issues south of 466. Many residents believe the POA is a voice crying in the wilderness, blowing problems way out of proportion. You can read the POA Bulletins, both past and present, at www.poa4us.org.

Please make you own conclusions about the POA. Then you will be able to decide if the siding issue is a MINOR problem, blown way out of proportion.

The VHA (Villages Housing Authority) is the "official" association of The Villages. The officers are elected by the homeowners, but the CEO is appointed by the developer and he also works for the developer.

The POA is a separate entity consisting of Village homerowners. It does not answer to the developer.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc
The most recent POA (Property Owners Association) bulletin talks about the siding issues south of 466. Many residents believe the POA is a voice crying in the wilderness, blowing problems way out of proportion. You can read the POA Bulletins, both past and present, at www.poa4us.org.

Please make you own conclusions about the POA. Then you will be able to decide if the siding issue is a MINOR problem, blown way out of proportion.

The VHA (Villages Housing Authority) is the "official" association of The Villages. The officers are elected by the homeowners, but the CEO is appointed by the developer and he also works for the developer.

The POA is a separate entity consisting of Village homerowners. It does not answer to the developer.
Thanks for clarifying...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc

Not going to get into the differences in mission of the two organizations yet again. That horse is dead. However, I'd like to comment on the above. Yes, the "CEO" (he the VHA President) is employed by TV. He works parttime as a greeter in one of the sales offices, along with a whole bunch of other folks who do this a few hours a week. He also teaches some classes periodically at the Learning Center.

As to how the President (CEO) gets his job --
Members of the VHA elect 9 at-large members of the board of directors. Each region appoints one regional director to the board. The officers, including the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer are then elected from the At-large directors by the board. So, no, he's not appointed by the demonic developer.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM

We bought south of 466 in 2005 (new construction) and have not been sorry or had any problems. So much more to offer than north. Better golf cart paths for one. The problems are with the unscrupulous solicitors that come around after you have purchased.
Gretchen Connell's Paradise Landscaping - she was arrested for grand theft. There was an article in the Daily Sun with her picture, which I will e-mail to you if you'd like so you won't be mixing her up with any other landscaper.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.